Clanking noise

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Pedro 70
Car(s): Ford Focus titaniumX daily driver.
Ford Capri 2.8i. Superb, dry days only. Kawasaki GPZ 900R.

Clanking noise

Post by Pedro 70 »

Hi all, Hope somone can help with noise coming from my 1986 2.8i. I know noises are difficult to diagnose without actually hearing bur here goes. Metalic clanking type noise coming from the engine. Started after winter hibernation and getting worse. Engine starts and runs and idles perfectly. At low revs when first started the noise is very prominent but raising the revs the noise disappears as though removing slack from a timing chain, but of course no timing chain returning when back at idle. Removed all the belts at the front of engne eliminating all the pully bearings, noise still there. Checked the engine mounts, all good, nothing loose. Noise appears to come from the top of the engine and does not go up and down with revs. Car drive perfectly on the road but the noise is getting worse as even the wife noticed it. Hope someone can give me a push in the right direction Thanks in anticipation...Peter
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Clanking noise

Post by Peter-S »

Pedro 70 wrote: ↑Fri May 26, 2023 4:04 pm Hi all, Hope somone can help with noise coming from my 1986 2.8i. I know noises are difficult to diagnose without actually hearing bur here goes. Metalic clanking type noise coming from the engine. Started after winter hibernation and getting worse. Engine starts and runs and idles perfectly. At low revs when first started the noise is very prominent but raising the revs the noise disappears as though removing slack from a timing chain, but of course no timing chain returning when back at idle. Removed all the belts at the front of engne eliminating all the pully bearings, noise still there. Checked the engine mounts, all good, nothing loose. Noise appears to come from the top of the engine and does not go up and down with revs. Car drive perfectly on the road but the noise is getting worse as even the wife noticed it. Hope someone can give me a push in the right direction Thanks in anticipation...Peter
As you say, without hearing it a diagnosis is difficult but as you have tried with belts off I would suggest checking the valve gear.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Having suffered many noises over the years I can attest to starting with valves :lol:

Otherwise my only other big noise was the bottom end letting go which was unfortunately a much bigger fix
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Pedro 70

Post by Pedro 70 »

Thanks guys will delve into the valve area. Will let you know if I have any success.
Pedro 70

Post by Pedro 70 »

Valve area seems fine but further investigation is leading me towards the front of the engine. Could either of the timing wheels work loose and rattle around on the shafts do you think? Not come off therefore allowing the engine to run perfectly. Any thoughts before I start removing the covers. Thanks
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

I dunno jack about ford V6's but most of the engines using timing gears leave the factory with the camshaft gear having nylon teeth ( to reduce noise ) and these do tend to disintegrate at some point .........so you might be on to something there. :)
Mmmm Kwaka 9 , one of the good ones too :D
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Pedro 70

Post by Pedro 70 »

Just a quick update. Timing cover off, great expectation and - nothing wrong in there, all good and tight. Now suspect that the fly wheel maybe the culprit. Not sure but definitely getting worse. Now booked in to a garage next week to let them have a listen when up on ramp.
SCP440
Car(s): Capri Ghia MK3 3.0, Jensen Interceptor MK3, ZTT 260 V8

Post by SCP440 »

Could be a loose or damaged spring on the clutch pressure plate, I have seen this on a couple of cars. One on an MG sounded so bad I thought the big ends were about to come out. Once replaced it sounded like a new engine.
Pedro 70

Post by Pedro 70 »

Think you could be right there. Took it to a recommended garage today and he dismissed any sort of engine fault. Thought it was in the gearbox area. Really loud noise now, getting worse very quickly, and the car runs beautifully!!!!!πŸ˜–πŸ˜–πŸ˜–πŸ˜– Any way he has taken it in and hopes to start on it tomorrow or Monday. Thanks for your thoughts.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I have seen on more than one occasion where flywheel bolts have come undone and fallen out. They make an almighty rattling noise. All my instances of this were on pinto engines in both Cortinas and Capris but it could happen on any make or model.
Pedro 70

Post by Pedro 70 »

Spot on Paul, just got my Capri back from the garage. He said all flywheel bolts were coming undone. No lock tabs on these engines but should have had thread lock on bolts. So much for the restoration company in the M40 area that carried out the complete restoration of my car some 7 years but only 6k miles ago. I’m absolutely amazed at how noise like this can appear to come from all parts of the engine until things really get bad. Thanks to all that gave me their thoughts with this. Peter.
nemo
Car(s): none at the moment

Post by nemo »

Just shows you how saving the few seconds extra it would have taken to do the job properly means it all has to be done again! Can`t help thinking you`re lucky the ;flywheel flailing around didn`t cause serious damage. Moral: If you find someone you can trust stick with them. (then they retire, new ownership... :axe:)
Pedro 70

Post by Pedro 70 »

You are so right Memo !
Pedro 70

Post by Pedro 70 »

Sorry NEMOπŸ‘πŸ‘