Brakes

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
nemo
Car(s): none at the moment

Re: Brakes

Post by nemo »

D366Y wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:13 am biggest concern is making sure the cap it comes with is actually going to fit the master clyinder lid rather than then having imvest more money into another preasured lid.
I`m really not trying to sell this thing :D :D but I can say for a fact the screw on cap is a perfect fit on Capri reservoir. and I would say is more substantial than the Eezibleed (although my Eezibleed is decades old and has the old metal screw on caps which were not so good: they do look better quality now)
To be fair though, if youre not going to use it much you can do the job perfectly well with a piece of tube and a jar. And a glamorous assistant...
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

nemo wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:51 am
D366Y wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:13 am biggest concern is making sure the cap it comes with is actually going to fit the master clyinder lid rather than then having imvest more money into another preasured lid.
I`m really not trying to sell this thing :D :D but I can say for a fact the screw on cap is a perfect fit on Capri reservoir. and I would say is more substantial than the Eezibleed (although my Eezibleed is decades old and has the old metal screw on caps which were not so good: they do look better quality now)
To be fair though, if youre not going to use it much you can do the job perfectly well with a piece of tube and a jar. And a glamorous assistant...
Haha well if it fits I'm more tempted to buy it!!

Just to complicate matters further, I just took it out to the end of the road and back to try and give a better explanation of how the pedal feels and the bloody thing works fine!!
Stiff right at the top of the pedal and brakes hard and fast as it should!!

Will be interesting to see if this becomes an intermittent issue...
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

:) Have a think about what I said about the seal and how stamping on the pedal can produce enough pressure to force the seal to seal where as a slow push doesnt and you get the slowly dropping pedal . Your seal is hovering between working and not . The fact that it can be firm suggests there is no damage to the cylinder . If that were mine ( and I have been here, vauxhall viva )I would get me a seal kit and fit it . :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Took it out again yesterday for a longer drive and I think you are right Hamish.
First 15 odd miles it worked absolutely fine. Parked up for an hour and got back in and the pedal was soft and went all the way to the floor but did still work, and then on the 15 mile drive back it got more firm to the point that it was as it should be by the time I parked up again!

The seals you mean are the bit sticking out the front of the servo right? Before I go buying the wrong stuff haha
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
nemo
Car(s): none at the moment

Post by nemo »

D366Y wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:07 am The seals you mean are the bit sticking out the front of the servo right? Before I go buying the wrong stuff haha
No, he`s talking about the hydraulic seals inside the master cylinder. Kits are (or used to be ) available for a couple of quid and as McTool said, they are quite simple to replace. Haynes has instructions IIRC, just take pics/diagrams and you`ll be fine. JBut do check the bore for pitting up at the servo end where moisture can creep in: if there is any then best replace whole unit.

Edit:-
Seal kits available here: https://www.biggred.co.uk/ford-capri-mk ... inder-kits

The standard Girling units which I assume firtted to the GL are available here ( I don`t trust ebay)
https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/Ford/Capr ... es/BMC4259
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

yep , thats them :D
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

D366Y wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:13 am bleeding the brakes or changing the fluid is admittedly something I've never done on my 10yrs of ownership - the brakes have always been fine so I've left well enough alone!

Hi Danny, there is an excellent walkthrough for this, from this site's creator, well worth a look -

http://www.fordcaprilaser.co.uk/page103.html

Also, I would defintely recommend this from Halfords, works very well, used it a few times, including the Capri, for both brakes and a clutch -

https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-too ... 1eEALw_wcB