B215APU Capri 2.0 Laser

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
CapriBear
Car(s): Na

B215APU Capri 2.0 Laser

Post by CapriBear »

Hello,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, or frowned upon generally.

I've seen advertised a 2.0 Laser and was wondering if it was known among the group. The car was advertised as Great condition and £7.5k, within less than 2x weeks the price has dropped to £5.5K.

I've seen 1.6 in ropey condition sell for around this sometimes more.

So I wanted to ask, 1: is it known and can anyone vouch for condition. 2: is £5.5k for a good condition 2.0 about right.

It's a long way from me to just pop over and look over without being solidly committed.

Thanks
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: B215APU Capri 2.0 Laser

Post by D366Y »

Do you have a link to the car or the reg so we know what one we are looking at?

Prices are always up and down with cars - a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay so while I think my 1.6 may be worth £10k, if I tried to sell it at that price I doubt I'd get any interest

£5.5k for a 2.0 doesn't sound like a bad deal if it is in good shape
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
CapriBear

Post by CapriBear »

The Reg is B215 APU. Sorry hadn't made it clear from the Title. My fault.

It does show rust bubbling on the top wing by the scuttle, and the smallest of bits at the bottom of the rear window. Apart from that from the photos it looks good.

Generally speaking regards rust, how quick can this become an issue. I see it had welding done on chassis in 2008, off the road for approx 5-6yrs, and done 5k miles since. Heard horror stories they can become an issue very very quickly.

I'd intend on having it garaged over the winter and only used when dry
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Cars are only worth what someone wants to pay. There are however some fools out there who are easily parted with their money.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

You can either bring somebody with you that knows what to look for.... or take a gamble on the pictures. 5.5k should get you a.. 'usable' Capri.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Only a few pictures on the net , not known to me .

Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

I like the look of that Humber in the background.

Looks like these were taken at a car show.. definitely go and view it to make sure the seller actually owns it.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Major_Tom wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:44 am I like the look of that Humber in the background.

Looks like these were taken at a car show.. definitely go and view it to make sure the seller actually owns it.
:agree:

Looks reasonable and with those Pepperpots worth buying (eh Danny :lol: )

10 years ago £5/6/7K would have got a great car but times have changed, but get it looked at by someone before committing.

A recent clear MOT should mean nothing too serious, and you could Waxoyl/Lanoguard the underside etc to help prevent future corrosion issues.

If garaging and only using on dry days I would still keep it well polished and any minor work can be done overtime.

:goodluck:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Yuck, pepperpots.
Knock him down a few grand for thinking they looked nice :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Price doesn't sound too bad to me but it has clearly had some paint work - no surprise on a car that age but it depends how well anything has been done. I would suggest there could be some filler at the bottom of the near side wing where it joins the sill, where the valance meets the wings and around the offside headlight. Doesn't mean it is hiding anything sinister but certainly needs looking at.
All cars that age rust it just depends what has been done to take care of it. Whereabouts is the car?
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

D366Y wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:30 pm Yuck, pepperpots.
Knock him down a few grand for thinking they looked nice :lol:
:agree:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
CapriBear

Post by CapriBear »

Appreciate all the responses. Seems I wasn't quick enough off the mark. Went to arrange a view and it's been sold already. Still, least I've got some idea on going rate for a useable 2.0 for any that pop up again soon. Thanks again
nemo
Car(s): none at the moment

Post by nemo »

FWIW, it`s very easy to make them look great but the horrors that lurk underneath are the real issue, Always, always, worse than you think. If it`s had welding done underneath, don`t imagine that work was the entirety of it`s problems: that was probably just enough to get it through an MOT, there will be more a couple of years down the line. Sounds pessimistic, but, although better than most cars of that era, they are still prone to rot underneath where you can`t see it, and that sort of 'work can be cripplingly expensive. A proper resto can take it off thye road for literally years. I would always check the MOT history of a car first as that will give an honest account of its history. https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

(from 2009 MOT although to be fair, since then it has/had had no body related advisories so may have been thoroughly sorted????)
Offside Inner Front Upper Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
Nearside Front Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
Offside Front Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
Offside Rear Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
Nearside Front Anti-roll bar rubber mounting deteriorated resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
Offside Front Anti-roll bar rubber mounting deteriorated resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
Nearside Front Front suspension has excessive play in a track control arm inner bush (2.5.B.2b)
jendy30
Car(s): capri1.6 vw t2 mini one

Post by jendy30 »

I was selling the Capri at the starting price at £7500
Then every week I dropped it £500 I must have had
100 people asking a thousand questions instead of just coming and having a look at it .most people who came wanted it for peanuts but the car was a good one and could have waited for more but I hate selling cars . I had one person arguing that I had put 70000 instead of 107000 miles on the clock