Plastic coating

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Essexsoulboy
Car(s): Capri 280

Plastic coating

Post by Essexsoulboy »

Anybody seen or used this before? I always admire the brand new look on show cars that have had some sort of treatment on rubber pipes etc…tried a few things on the market but nothing really seems to give that ‘as new’ look
Attachments
5C00A750-6A5B-4B05-9D2A-2B841A4AE8B4.png
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Plastic coating

Post by andyd »

Not seen it before, sounds good but Amazon customer reviews are not great;
2.8 out of 5 stars
5 star 25%
4 star 12%
3 star 17%
2 star 5%
1 star 41%

I have Autoglym bumper and trim gel it's great, although not used it on any pipes or in engine bay, but might be as good?
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

No never used that I have used Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer what really does work on old faded plastic and you only use a small amount and then buffs up . But very expensive . My all purpose stuff is autoglym
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Jasonmarie wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:15 pm I have used Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer what really does work on old faded plastic
'old faded plastic' - is that the mother-in law again :lol:
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
SCP440
Car(s): Capri Ghia MK3 3.0, Jensen Interceptor MK3, ZTT 260 V8

Post by SCP440 »

Cerakote is the best product for tired looking trim, it will last a couple of years on external parts and twice that on internal trim.
Dont just wipe it on, clean the part first with the cleaner and you will be amazed at the result. I did the wife's Mini and it looked like I had fitted new plastic trim all around the car and still looks good over a year later.
Some external trim can be made to look a lot better with a heat gun but be very carefull, the heat brings the oil in the plastic to the surface but depending on how tired it is depends on how long it will last.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Peter-S wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:04 pm
Jasonmarie wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:15 pm I have used Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer what really does work on old faded plastic
'old faded plastic' - is that the mother-in law again :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I don’t think anything could restore her .
andyd

Post by andyd »

SCP440 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:41 pm Cerakote is the best product for tired looking trim, it will last a couple of years on external parts and twice that on internal trim.
Dont just wipe it on, clean the part first with the cleaner and you will be amazed at the result. I did the wife's Mini and it looked like I had fitted new plastic trim all around the car and still looks good over a year later.
Some external trim can be made to look a lot better with a heat gun but be very carefull, the heat brings the oil in the plastic to the surface but depending on how tired it is depends on how long it will last.
Nice selection of cars you have, and as you own a ZT 260 (I was tempted to get one myself a few years ago), you might be interested in watching this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PNTxYagrUI

Andy is a good friend and helps me run our XR owners branch, and has plenty more Youtube material on Fords and Rovers :cool:

PS. Sorry to to the OP for hijacking the thread slightly :whistle: :)
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

andyd wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:34 am
SCP440 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:41 pm Cerakote is the best product for tired looking trim, it will last a couple of years on external parts and twice that on internal trim.
Nice selection of cars you have, and as you own a ZT 260 (I was tempted to get one myself a few years ago), you might be interested in watching this

Andy is a good friend and helps me run our XR owners branch, and has plenty more Youtube material on Fords and Rovers :cool:

That’s funny as my wife is Cornish and her cousin was telling me about this guy on you tube who is in to his fords & Rovers . I see the other week he wants a Capri ? As he shows a picture that his grandad had and it’s a Mercury grey laser Capri like mine .
Small world andy 👍👍
SCP440

Post by SCP440 »

andyd wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:34 am

Yes a good video, there is also one of a chap in Germany pushing his 260 on some unrestricted streches of Autobahn.
Thanks, I am lucky I have a Van for work so I can have nice cars, sadly the 260 gets used as my ''everyday '' car but in the 6 years I have owned it the only things it has needed is Tyres ( a lot), brakes and a couple of lower arms. Probably one of the best all rounder cars I have ever owned especially as its an Estate ( 1 of only 90 made). Its biggest shortfall is lack of range for big journeys as it only has a 13 gallon tank. It will do high 20's if kept legal but letting it strech its legs and you are looking for fuel after 140 miles as the low fuel warning will be on.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:04 pm

That’s funny as my wife is Cornish and her cousin was telling me about this guy on you tube who is in to his fords & Rovers . I see the other week he wants a Capri ? As he shows a picture that his grandad had and it’s a Mercury grey laser Capri like mine .
Small world andy 👍👍
Hi JM,
I think I've watched all his videos so far, and yes he does want another Capri eventually (He should have started looking 10 years ago when they were affordable :lol: )

:agree: it is a small world :)
SCP440 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:12 pm

Yes a good video, there is also one of a chap in Germany pushing his 260 on some unrestricted streches of Autobahn.
Thanks, I am lucky I have a Van for work so I can have nice cars, sadly the 260 gets used as my ''everyday '' car but in the 6 years I have owned it the only things it has needed is Tyres ( a lot), brakes and a couple of lower arms. Probably one of the best all rounder cars I have ever owned especially as its an Estate ( 1 of only 90 made). Its biggest shortfall is lack of range for big journeys as it only has a 13 gallon tank. It will do high 20's if kept legal but letting it strech its legs and you are looking for fuel after 140 miles as the low fuel warning will be on.
As you say a good all round car. Andy told me some parts are very hard to find so that put me off at the time.

As with the Mustang I had instead, they can be half sensible economy wise if driven sensibly but that sometimes defeats the object of having a V8 :drive:
SCP440

Post by SCP440 »

andyd wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:31 am As you say a good all round car. Andy told me some parts are very hard to find so that put me off at the time.

As with the Mustang I had instead, they can be half sensible economy wise if driven sensibly but that sometimes defeats the object of having a V8 :drive:
The parts situation has improved and to be honest some Capri parts are more difficult to find.
andyd

Post by andyd »

SCP440 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:58 pm
andyd wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:31 am As you say a good all round car. Andy told me some parts are very hard to find so that put me off at the time.

The parts situation has improved and to be honest some Capri parts are more difficult to find.
That's good!

These cars are a cheaper right hand drive alternative to the much dearer 2015+ Mustang.