Fuel Sender Seal size

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
andrewed1
Car(s): Ford GT Capri Mk1 3L

Fuel Sender Seal size

Post by andrewed1 »

Hi all,

i have a broken / leaking fuel sender unit seal - im looking to make one does anyone know of the Sizes ie ID / OD / thickness of this seal..

thanks
Andrew
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Fuel Sender Seal size

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Andrew,
Why bother messing about when you can buy them for £4.20?
https://www.capriclub.co.uk/Tank_Sender ... --247.html

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Well why waste £4.20 plus postage no doubt, if you have the ability and materials to make one instead. Plus the satisfaction and fulfillment in doing so.

Makes perfect sense, good luck in finding the sizes Andrew and let us know how it goes.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I suppose it's a question of how do you value time, personally I'd spend less than a pint of beer on the correct seal and put my time into something more useful.
pbar

Post by pbar »

It's different for you Martin, as this is our hobby, not a business. Time is money for you, but it is pleasure and satisfaction for us.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:28 am Well why waste £4.20 plus postage no doubt, if you have the ability and materials to make one instead. Plus the satisfaction and fulfillment in doing so.
Makes perfect sense, good luck in finding the sizes Andrew and let us know how it goes.
As I see it, in this particular situation Andrew, the original poster, is relying heavily on somebody providing accurate information for the seal sizes. Should the person providing the information not be as fastidious as I'm certain Andrew is, the incorrectly sized seal may leak fuel. In the best case scenario, he'll have to spend more time and use more materials making another. The worst case scenario of a fuel leak don't bear thinking about. The proper seal is well worth a measly £4.20 plus postage, in my opinion.

Now, that makes perfect sense to me.

Andrew.
nemo
Car(s): none at the moment

Post by nemo »

I don`t know if this matters, but the OP seems to have a Mk1 3L which IIRC had the tank behind the back seat? Does this even have the same seal as the later, under boot, ones CCI sell?
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

pbar wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:00 pm It's different for you Martin, as this is our hobby, not a business. Time is money for you, but it is pleasure and satisfaction for us.
Exactly and as such I am always very conscious of how time, and indeed money is spent, I don't think any of my customers would appreciate me taking time to try to make a seal for such a vital part of the car when excellent quality seals are readily available for what is effectively peanuts.
I know these are good, I include them with the new sender units that I sell.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:23 pm the original poster, is relying heavily on somebody providing accurate information for the seal sizes. Should the person providing the information not be as fastidious as I'm certain Andrew is, the incorrectly sized seal may leak fuel. In the best case scenario, he'll have to spend more time and use more materials making another. The worst case scenario of a fuel leak

That's a very good point to make, although Andrew is not specifically asking for someone to measure, but if anyone knows the sizes, granted though someone could still measure one for him. Good point to mention though about the accuracy and validity of making an item to do with fuel. A while ago I made a carb top gasket (computer programmed and machine cut), there's a thread on here about it, took a while but from a hobbyist/enthusiast point of view I was happy to do so and enjoyed it. But yes, had to be very pedantic and check everything over and over again, fuel leaks are not wanted. Although bought items can still be less than great too don't forget, which is one of the reasons I made them, as the ones from the usual suppliers were not brilliant in a couple of areas so I improved them. I made a load as I wanted to have a supply for myself for future proofing although I have passed a few on to others owners with the same carb as it is a common model. It is good fun making your own stuff, done a few things. I'm sure that, as you suggest, Andrew will be just as careful when/if making his own seal and use the correct material and numerous checks.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Caprigear wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:08 pm Exactly and as such I am always very conscious of how time, and indeed money is spent, I don't think any of my customers would appreciate me taking time to try to make a seal

Thank you Martin. And as a satisfied customer of yours myself, spending as much time as you like, doing whatever you like, is fine by me :)
pbar

Post by pbar »

Andrew, you should check your private messages, there will be something of interest to you regarding your seal issue.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Caprigear wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:27 pm I suppose it's a question of how do you value time, personally I'd spend less than a pint of beer on the correct seal and put my time into something more useful.
£4.20 is LESS than a pint of beer?! :o
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

We have a very good social club.
andrewed1

Post by andrewed1 »

it may be 4GBP for you but in Oz, it $40 AUD (inc Shipping) big difference, hence the question, dont always presume
andrewed1

Post by andrewed1 »

pbar wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:46 pm Andrew, you should check your private messages, there will be something of interest to you regarding your seal issue.
thanks