Refurb wheels & new tyres...

Use this forum to post up threads of pictures. e.g. Car Shows, Brochures, Meets etc. If you have a thread in another forum you would like moved here, please PM Admin.
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Refurb wheels & new tyres...

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi all,

Been a while so decided to give a quick up date on some stuff I've been upto.

So I decided a while ago to hunt some 205/50X15 tyres down for the 15" rims I'm running, not that there was anything wrong with the recomended 195/50X15's I had fitted, but having met a chap (sorry if you're reading this, I've temporarly forgotten your name, but I remember your Capri!!! :D ) at one of the many Runneymede meets I've been to, who had fitted the 205's to the 15" rims, I had decided they just filled the arches so much better.... So it was off to collect a set from Piers (thank you again Piers) who had a set avaliable and a deal was struck!!! Once I had the tyres I then had to decide if I just fitted them to the rims as so, or have the rims stripped & PPC'd. I opted for option 2 eventuallly and dropped off the wheels & tyres at a place not too far from me for the works doing. I gave them both sets of centre caps also, so I could chose the Ford caps or RS caps as I feel....

So the Cappa was now running on the original 13" winter rims.... A quick pic form the first Runneymede of the year.... not looking too bad???

Image20230129_094445 by jon tay, on Flickr

So it was now time ot collect the wheels with the new rubber fitted and I was blown away with the end results..... I had to use a set of Ford badges I got from Ian (Mellow Yellow) a few years ago, as I have been planning this for some time!!! :xd: :xd: :xd:

What do you recon then???

Image20230206_134155 by jon tay, on FlickrImage20230206_134159 by jon tay, on Flickr

And before I'm asked. Kirk at the wheel place even coated the hub areas with Copper Ease before putting the powder to the Ally, so this all came clean off to give a super smooth finish to butt up to the hubs...

Well chuffed with Ian's badges!!!! Cheers buddy!!!

Image20230206_230101 by jon tay, on Flickr

So it was now time to slap them on the Cappa on Sat morning as I had the Black Swan to get down to asap!!!! So all the prep work paid off and the wheels went straight on.... I hope you agree they look stunning!!!????

Image20230211_142009 by jon tay, on Flickr
Image20230211_142047 by jon tay, on Flickr

So I'm now well chuuffed and off I set to the Black Swan breakfast meet (photos of this will follow soon)..... Very happy I'll be able to show off my nice new CLEAN wheels and tyres with fresh 'Cherry Blosom' boot polish polished on.....

So I got down there all excited and was waved into the field, I suppose with hind site I should have seen what was comming!!!!! Yep, you guessed it. It had been Pi$$ing it down the days before and sure enough, I got stuck!!!!! Bo!!ocks!!!!!! 3 people to push me out!!!

Image20230212_094621 by jon tay, on Flickr
Image20230212_094631 by jon tay, on FlickrImage20230212_094613 by jon tay, on Flickr

At least I realised how bad it was before I got into a world of hurt!!! I stopped as soon as I realised and got a push back down (out of the dip) the hill part of the field. Unlike these poor chaps!!!! Bottomed out doesn't really do the quote justice here!!!!
Image20230212_094517 by jon tay, on FlickrImage20230212_094518 by jon tay, on Flickr

So I was able to park up and enjoy the rest of the morning. Part of this enjoyment was initially watching the rescue vehicle get stuck next. Any ideas what the rescue vehicle was???? Well it turns out you can't beat old technology I'm afraid.....
Image20230212_095048 by jon tay, on Flickr

Yep, a new Defender got itself bottomed out too!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

So bring on the Old School!!!!
Image20230212_095102 by jon tay, on Flickr
Image20230212_095143 by jon tay, on Flickr

So that was the end of the rescue vehicle. I will take my hat off to the chap though, he was helping out stuck people who had brought their pride & joys down for other people to enjoy!!! So now it was time for something a little different to get the cars out, as the old school Defender had to go... Enter the 3rd rescue vehicle!!!!

This guy was set up for 'Off Roading'. Propper wheels & tyres, snorkle & a winch to boot!!!!
Image20230212_101425 by jon tay, on Flickr

Still took a few goes though!!!!

Image20230212_101455 by jon tay, on Flickr

So with second hind sight, I didn't feel too bad in the end!!!! :xd: :xd: :xd: And I love the new stance and feel of the Cappa!!!! So all in all a great run out!!!!! Then it was out with the hose for a good Chassis / wheel arch wash!!!!!

I hope you enjoy this story, I did in the end!!!! Cheers for now, all the best everyone!!!!

Nearly forgot.... A Defender trail!!!!!
Image20230212_102319 by jon tay, on Flickr
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Refurb wheels & new tyres...

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

The wheels look great, John. As does the rest of your stunning Capri, of course!

After that little adventure, it looks as though your Capri was just about ready to have one of your tried and tested "throw a bucket of water over it" washes! :lol:

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Looks great John :cool:

Always liked the 15" 7 spokes I had on mine and they look so much better than the same style 13" in my opinion.

I have the same Uniroyal tyres on my XR albeit smaller size, will see what they are like over the next few months :)
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Wheels look amazing John , I also fitted Ian’s wheel logos as the CCI ones looked rubbish but have saved my original silver Ford badges like you had :cool:
Andrew likes to see a Capri wheel spinning in fields as he made me do this a few years ago :lol: .
Hope to meet up soon fella and have a catch up .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Ahh John.

You already know what I think... What were you thinking man parking your Capri on wet grass with those stunning refurbished alloys and new tyres !!! :lol:

Have to agree those alloys really do look the bollocks. The 15s really give your Capri an even better stance. Ford centre caps look well cool too. Glad you found them in the end.!!!!!

Great set of photos mate . Your Special really is a credit to you. Just beautiful.
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:23 pm Ahh John.

You already know what I think... What were you thinking man parking your Capri on wet grass with those stunning refurbished alloys and new tyres !!! :lol:

That's the sort of thing I dream about and wake up in a cold sweat :o :)
T.M.
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection (1984)

Post by T.M. »

Hi,
wheels look great! ;)
It was proper testing of them in the field. 8-)

Tom
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

andyd wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:27 am That's the sort of thing I dream about and wake up in a cold sweat :o :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...