Penetrating Oil

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Penetrating Oil

Post by Paul G »

Hi everyone, I'm sure this has been covered before but can anyone recommend a good aerosol penetrating oil? Just used the last drop of my beloved Plus Gas and can't seem to find another aerosol of this anywhere.

Paul.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Re: Penetrating Oil

Post by Bug »

WD40 do one now.
Worked well on the seized suspension bolts on my Z4 the other week.
nemo
Car(s): none at the moment

Post by nemo »

I also find Plus Gas the best penetrating oil, Amazon still sell it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=plus+gas&ref=404_search
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Is there any apparent difference with these penetrating agents, and just standard WD-40, as that's all I've really used?
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Sorted - found some on ebay. Bought 2 large 400ml tins which will last a while.

Paul - re your question Plus Gas does get down into the threads of rusted bolts and in most cases will release them if left overnight. It really does work much better than WD40. I also put a socket over rusted bolts/nuts and give them a good twat with a large engineer's hammer before trying to undo them. This shocks the rust and can break its grip on a bolt.

The above works in 90% of instances but the blue - tongued persuader may be necessary if not!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Aparently , I havnt tried it, but a 50/50 mix of trans fluid and acetone works well πŸ™‚
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
SCP440
Car(s): Capri Ghia MK3 3.0, Jensen Interceptor MK3, ZTT 260 V8

Post by SCP440 »

Forch S411, it is the only penetrating oil I know of with ball bearing in the can you shake to activate it. When it comes out it will often fizz and since I have been using it I have never ceased to me amazed at how well it works
I have found this product will remove the rustiest of exhaust nuts if allowed to penetrate.
WD40 is not penetrating oil it is Water Displacement fluid and it was the 40th formula, hence the name. Plus gas is also a good product but once you have used Forch you will wonder how you ever coped with out it.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Paul G wrote: ↑Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:46 pm Paul - re your question Plus Gas does get down into the threads of rusted bolts and in most cases will release them if left overnight. It really does work much better than WD40. I also put a socket over rusted bolts/nuts and give them a good twat with a large engineer's hammer before trying to undo them.

Thank you Paul, I do have a couple of tricky rusted up car jobs on the go, so based on what you have said I shall get some penetrating oil, either the Plusgas or the WD-40 version which Martin also recommended above, or perhaps the one recommended also by SCP440 (apologies I don't know your name).

Thanks also for the tip, I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to take a grinder or drill to stuck nuts/bolts, it's always good to have more methods in the armoury!
pbar

Post by pbar »

For future reference Paul, I think you can get Plusgas from Screwfix, as well as Amazon. Just ordered some, thanks again.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

SCP440 wrote: ↑Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:29 pm WD40 is not penetrating oil it is Water Displacement fluid and it was the 40th formula, hence the name.
Just for the record, I agree with your definition of the original WD40, however the name has now become generic for more products in their range and they now do a Penetrating Oil in spray form as well. I have cans of each, side by side in my garage cupboard, or I wouldn't have mentioned it. ;)
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

Bug wrote: ↑Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:23 pm
SCP440 wrote: ↑Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:29 pm WD40 is not penetrating oil it is Water Displacement fluid and it was the 40th formula, hence the name.
Just for the record, I agree with your definition of the original WD40, however the name has now become generic for more products in their range and they now do a Penetrating Oil in spray form as well. I have cans of each, side by side in my garage cupboard, or I wouldn't have mentioned it. ;)
Cheers for the recommendation and I will try some before long. Going to need gallons of the bloody stuff when I start on my 3.0S!
SCP440

Post by SCP440 »

Paul G wrote: ↑Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:07 pm
Cheers for the recommendation and I will try some before long. Going to need gallons of the bloody stuff when I start on my 3.0S!
I work on a lot of classic cars and as we know they usually have more than there fare share of rusty fastenings. Exhaust manifolds have always been a problem, since I have been using the Forch product they have found there match. Rattle the can, spray on and go and have a cup of tea, come back and they just undo. I am sure most of you are doubt what I am saying but as long as you give it 10 to 15 mins to soak in nuts and bolts just undo.

The down side is the price but its worth every penny with the amount of time it saves on snapped fastenings
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154411794900 ... YtEALw_wcB
pbar

Post by pbar »

Well, I've been using Plusgas over the past couple of days, and really disappointed with it actually. Doesn't seem to do a great deal at all, still having siezed nuts/bolts and bolts shearing off. It does seem to 'clean' the area it is sprayed on and then evaporates, in the same way that brake cleaner works, but as far as loosening a fixing goes, WD-40 seems far better, stays wet and works into the threads as you mess with the fixing. So, think I shall just continue to use the WD-40 as I always have done.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Whatever your poison heat and a bit of tapping with a hammer helps a lot .
pbar

Post by pbar »

Mc Tool wrote: ↑Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:01 pm Whatever your poison heat and a bit of tapping with a hammer helps a lot .

Yes, it definitely does for sure, as usual old school is the best school. I've even used a heat gun before (Aldi special!) which has worked as regards to that.

Can't help thinking these 'penetrating oils' are a bit of a con, like protein drinks for people wanting muscles, 'drink this and you will be big in a week' kind of thing. People still buy them but they don't work in reality, there's a lot of placebo going on, marketing companies are very clever.
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

pbar wrote: ↑Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:05 pm
Mc Tool wrote: ↑Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:01 pm Whatever your poison heat and a bit of tapping with a hammer helps a lot .

Yes, it definitely does for sure, as usual old school is the best school. I've even used a heat gun before (Aldi special!) which has worked as regards to that.

Can't help thinking these 'penetrating oils' are a bit of a con, like protein drinks for people wanting muscles, 'drink this and you will be big in a week' kind of thing. People still buy them but they don't work in reality, there's a lot of placebo going on, marketing companies are very clever.
Paul your findings surprise me. In 42 years in the motor trade I've always found Plus Gas to work and it certainly wasn't a placebo. I'm bothered because I've just bought 2 large cans of it but they sent me the new black tins despite the orginal being in a blue can as depicted in the sender's photo in the bloody ebay ad. Perhaps this new stuff is shit - I'll find out later in the week when I've got to change the front wishbones on my 27 year old Polo!

If it doesn't work I will apply the blow torch or the oxy and I will also treat myself to some of the stuff SCP440 (sorry don't know your name) recommended.

Hamish is right to say that a well judged clout with a hammer does work well!
pbar

Post by pbar »

Paul G wrote: ↑Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:39 pm Paul your findings surprise me. In 42 years in the motor trade I've always found Plus Gas to work and it certainly wasn't a placebo.

I don't doubt you Paul, it just really isn't working for me, that's all. Interesting though, that you mention the back can, mine was like that also (aerosol), could they have altered it? I was that surprised by it's ineffectiveness (it really does just seem like brake cleaner) that I contacted the manufacturer and explained, could it be a faulty can/batch even? Will post back with their reply.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Be like other stuff where a bunch of ignorant arrogant conceited civic minded arseholes, who dont ever use the stuff ,deciding that the active ingredient is a environmental nasty and sneakily get it banned , leaving us practical minded blokes with an inferior product that cost twice as much and doesnt work properly .
πŸ˜‰ Nah ....it hasnt been a good day 😁😁.
SCP440

Post by SCP440 »

Mc Tool wrote: ↑Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:48 am Be like other stuff where a bunch of ignorant arrogant conceited civic minded arseholes, who dont ever use the stuff ,deciding that the active ingredient is a environmental nasty and sneakily get it banned , leaving us practical minded blokes with an inferior product that cost twice as much and doesnt work properly .
Agreed, I work in the cleaning industry and every week there is another product with a ''new formulation '' that suddenly does not work. As you say enviromental concerns or a banned chemical. We used to sell a particular product for 30 years, in all that time not one person has had a problem with it and then last year there was an ingredient removed because in the USA ( we dont sell there) it has been found in some rare circumstances that it can cause problems. Suddenly the product is as much good as a Chocolote fireguard and have lost several large customers.
Dont get me wrong I understand what they are trying to do but with Missiles being rained down on some countries killing thousands of people, and over 100 people dying from mass shootings in the USA this year already and all the other problems around the wourld is a 1cc of a chemical really such a problem?
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

SCP440 wrote: ↑Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:02 am
Mc Tool wrote: ↑Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:48 am Be like other stuff where a bunch of ignorant arrogant conceited civic minded arseholes, who dont ever use the stuff ,deciding that the active ingredient is a environmental nasty and sneakily get it banned , leaving us practical minded blokes with an inferior product that cost twice as much and doesnt work properly .
Agreed, I work in the cleaning industry and every week there is another product with a ''new formulation '' that suddenly does not work. As you say enviromental concerns or a banned chemical. We used to sell a particular product for 30 years, in all that time not one person has had a problem with it and then last year there was an ingredient removed because in the USA ( we dont sell there) it has been found in some rare circumstances that it can cause problems. Suddenly the product is as much good as a Chocolote fireguard and have lost several large customers.
Dont get me wrong I understand what they are trying to do but with Missiles being rained down on some countries killing thousands of people, and over 100 people dying from mass shootings in the USA this year already and all the other problems around the wourld is a 1cc of a chemical really such a problem?
:agree: Both comments are so true. Too many lefty political and green grass eaters with too much influence these days.