Ford Fiesta - The End

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Ford Fiesta - The End

Post by pbar »

Such a shame that Ford have announced ceasing Fiesta production. It is a best seller year after year and there are more on UK roads than any other car.

It's a massive nail in the coffin for normal cars, and a great shot in the arm for the godawful SUV's which are taking over.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Ford Fiesta - The End

Post by Jasonmarie »

Some sadness there as I have always believed you can’t go wrong with a fiesta . I have had them and my son is on his 2nd one . Easy to work on and get parts .
I wonder what they have for us as I still can’t see electric cars working for many as they take to long to charge and also cost is madness .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Careful Jason, you'll have Nige on here convincing you all to buy Tesla shares!!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

D366Y wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:06 pm Careful Jason, you'll have Nige on here convincing you all to buy Tesla shares!!
"Are you a salesman for Tesla, Nige?"

"Yes I am, Dave. I want my shares to go up."

:lol:
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Got to love a Mk1 Fiesta :cool:

Saw this a few days ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDGfwYM_wgM

The Focus will be next to go, and I for one will never own an electric car I would rather walk!!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Nige kept that quite I bet his wife forced him :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

I've always liked The Fiesta. My last diesel '57 plate was a lovely little motor but I do like my Ecoboost 1 litre 👍

I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
SCP440
Car(s): Capri Ghia MK3 3.0, Jensen Interceptor MK3, ZTT 260 V8

Post by SCP440 »

A customer has a Fiesta on order, she ordered it a couple of months ago and has been told she is unlikely to see it before April or even May. I dont get it, they have a good selling item yet they are switching off the production line. Would it not make more sense to keep making them until they are not aloud to make them or demand dries up what ever is first? I have heard the Focus is also being axed soon.
If I had the spare cash I would be buying a few new Fiestas and putting them into storage, I am sure once you can no longer buy an ICE powered car there value would go sky high.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

SCP440 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:32 pm A customer has a Fiesta on order, she ordered it a couple of months ago and has been told she is unlikely to see it before April or even May. I dont get it, they have a good selling item yet they are switching off the production line. Would it not make more sense to keep making them until they are not aloud to make them or demand dries up what ever is first? I have heard the Focus is also being axed soon.
If I had the spare cash I would be buying a few new Fiestas and putting them into storage, I am sure once you can no longer buy an ICE powered car there value would go sky high.
You're best off getting hold of earlier ones (Mk1 - Mk4). They're simple, cheap and cute, they're appreciating and stand to qualify for historic status with those various benefits. Modern cars have too many sensors, too much software, too many plasticky degreadable components, making them essentially impossible for the average person to keep going for a long time, plus taxing them will get progressively more expensive (IMO).

The folks in charge don't want ICE cars on the road and they'll increase the pressure over the next few years you can be assured. A possible light in the tunnel is classic and historic cars being exempt from certain rocketting costs, if we're lucky. The poshos like their classics and their motoring heritage.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

My partner bought a little Fiesta in 2001 that was 6 months old, so second hand, in 21 years of ownership it never broke down once, we had to 'retire' the car this year because of the poxy ULEZ zone, it retired still having it's original exhaust, serpentine belt, alternator and loads more original items, it had a little Endura engine in her (cross flow to me) the engine had 135000 on it and still started first time, every time, what a superb little car that did exactly what it said on the tin.

Sadiq, you are indeed a complete c***!
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Mr B wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:25 am My partner bought a little Fiesta in 2001 that was 6 months old, so second hand, in 21 years of ownership it never broke down once, we had to 'retire' the car this year because of the poxy ULEZ zone, it retired still having it's original exhaust, serpentine belt, alternator and loads more original items, it had a little Endura engine in her (cross flow to me) the engine had 135000 on it and still started first time, every time, what a superb little car that did exactly what it said on the tin.

Yep same here mate although ours was a 2007 1.6 Duratorq TDCi Diesel as at the time everyone was being told that diesels were the way to go. Was a brilliant little motor with a ridiculous amount of low end torque. I could have it in 2nd gear and take my foot off the accelerator and it would slow to almost stall then kick in and roll along at a decent pace without a care in the world for as long as i let it !! Great power too especially uphill but like you had to retire it due to fucking ULEZ. Part exchanged it for the 1.0 Ecoboost we have now which isca lovely car but nowhere near the same torque or power but it does us grand and is tax exempt. I only paid £30 tax for the diesel though.

Such a shame to see the Fiesta discontinued.

I have to be very careful if i bring out the Capri not to forget and cross over the North Circular Road into the dark side :lol:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

To commemorate the end of the Fiesta, here is the end of a Fiesta. :D

Andrew.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:23 am To commemorate the end of the Fiesta, here is the end of a Fiesta. :D

Andrew.
Andrew, are you saying you are glad to see the 'back of the Fiesta' lol
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Mr B wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:54 am Andrew, are you saying you are glad to see the 'back of the Fiesta' lol
I think we should celebrate the Fiesta for the great car it once was!

TBH, Ford dropping the Fiesta has absolutely zero impact on my life, so I'm not getting worked up about it either way.
If I was going to buy one, I'd prefer a mark 1 over a new one anyway!

Ford obviously believe that they can't make money selling a small family car, so anyone in the market for such will have to look elsewhere.
Ford's loss.

Andrew.
SCP440
Car(s): Capri Ghia MK3 3.0, Jensen Interceptor MK3, ZTT 260 V8

Post by SCP440 »

I wonder how many people learnt to drive in a Fiesta? I know both my boys did as both instructers had them. One even went on to buy one and ran it for 3 years trouble free. We did a cam belt change on it as a precaution but at 80k it still had the spark plugs in it that it left the factory with (FoMoCo).
I know it is coming the ban on ICE powered cars but the next generations are so going to miss out on the joys of tinkering with a car, I wonder what they will do instead? Both my boys will happily get a spanner out rather than pay a garage, a good skill to have in my opinion. Little or no chance of being to do much to these Mobile White goods that we are all being forced into. Tesla for example wont even sell you parts to repair them.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:23 am To commemorate the end of the Fiesta, here is the end of a Fiesta. :D

Andrew.
That has the XR2 exhaust, it should be a 'pea shooter' like this
Ford-Fiesta-Mk1-Supersport-SLR405W-99.jpg
I agree the Mk1 was something special but anything else I'm not fussed!
pbar

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:41 am Ford obviously believe that they can't make money selling a small family car, so anyone in the market for such will have to look elsewhere.

I have read that there are a couple of main reasons. Firstly, more and more people are wanting the hideous SUV's instead of normal cars so Ford are aiming at that demographic. And secondly it is unlikely to be viable to have electric cars which are of this kind of size. So a combination of electric and SUV are the killer.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Mr B wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:25 am My partner bought a little Fiesta in 2001 that was 6 months old, so second hand, in 21 years of ownership it never broke down once....the engine had 135000 on it and still started first time, every time, what a superb little car that did exactly what it said on the tin.
Fordoholic Nick wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:05 am Yep same here mate although ours was a 2007 1.6 Duratorq TDCi Diesel as at the time everyone was being told that diesels were the way to go. Was a brilliant little motor with a ridiculous amount of low end torque.

Completely agree with you guys, I have similar Fiesta experience, 140,000 miles, 17 years old, Duratec engine, great runner, quick and efficient, reliable, everything working, dash switches etc with no signs of wear and still feel as they always did. Ford really knew what they were doing, brilliant cars. No wonder there are more on the road than any other car.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:05 am
Mr B wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:25 am My partner bought a little Fiesta in 2001 that was 6 months old, so second hand, in 21 years of ownership it never broke down once, we had to 'retire' the car this year because of the poxy ULEZ zone, it retired still having it's original exhaust, serpentine belt, alternator and loads more original items, it had a little Endura engine in her (cross flow to me) the engine had 135000 on it and still started first time, every time, what a superb little car that did exactly what it said on the tin.

Yep same here mate although ours was a 2007 1.6 Duratorq TDCi Diesel as at the time everyone was being told that diesels were the way to go. Was a brilliant little motor with a ridiculous amount of low end torque. I could have it in 2nd gear and take my foot off the accelerator and it would slow to almost stall then kick in and roll along at a decent pace without a care in the world for as long as i let it !! Great power too especially uphill but like you had to retire it due to fucking ULEZ. Part exchanged it for the 1.0 Ecoboost we have now which isca lovely car but nowhere near the same torque or power but it does us grand and is tax exempt. I only paid £30 tax for the diesel though.

I have to be very careful if i bring out the Capri not to forget and cross over the North Circular Road into the dark side :lol:
Same here Nick, we have a little Ecoboost Fiesta now, lovely little car but doesn't have the character of the previous Fiesta plus from what I'm told the timing belt on the Ecoboost engine actually runs through the engine oil and that just doesn't seem like a good idea to me....

I'm lucky with my Capri as she is over 40 years old and so is ULEZ exempt but and its a big but the little Fiesta used 25 quid a week in petrol - the Capri uses 60 quid a week at current petrol prices :cry:
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

[/quote]

Same here Nick, we have a little Ecoboost Fiesta now, lovely little car but doesn't have the character of the previous Fiesta plus from what I'm told the timing belt on the Ecoboost engine actually runs through the engine oil and that just doesn't seem like a good idea to me....

I'm lucky with my Capri as she is over 40 years old and so is ULEZ exempt but and its a big but the little Fiesta used 25 quid a week in petrol - the Capri uses 60 quid a week at current petrol prices :cry:
[/quote]

The fact it's a wet belt isn't an issue; obviously it's made from a suitable material. The fact that it wasn't designed to be changed however is.... It can be done, it's a bit (lot!) of a pain though!