Capri 2.8i metering head again

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Kelvin Pugh
Car(s): Capri 2.8i restoration project

Capri 2.8i metering head again

Post by Kelvin Pugh »

Hi guys ,
I've got my 2.8i capri back together today,went to fire it up and it was hesitant tried to fire but looks like only the cold start is supplying fuel,looked at timing and moved distributor forward & backward to see if it would improve as i know the timing isnt right
. I then spotted damp on my garage floor and it was petrol coming from metering head where the two halves meet ( all banjo fittings are tight and no leaks from them). How tight have these two halves have to be cos im sure i tightened them up as per the instructions, all new o- rings & filters fitted.
I'll take it back off tomorrow and have another look at it but any advice off you guys would be greatly appreciated ,as said earlier its trying to fire new injectors fitted old ones had had it and metering head refurbished.
So like i said guys advice on the leak probably not getting enough pressure to the injectors and timing set up on distributor
Many thanks guys for your help so far
Kelvin
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Capri 2.8i metering head again

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I take it you refurbished the unit yourself?
From what I understand, it can be a bit of a fiddly task. If you're sure it's leaking fuel from the join of the two parts, I would have thought the only thing to do is to take it apart and start again.
Are you definitely certain fuel isn't leaking from one of the banjos though?

Andrew.
Kelvin Pugh

Post by Kelvin Pugh »

Hi Andrew,
Definitely metering head all banjos are solid and dry, will check again tomorrow, what's this ive seen about sesling the metsl diaphragm with shellac, that's nail polish ?
Thanks again
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Kelvin Pugh wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:14 pm what's this ive seen about sesling the metsl diaphragm with shellac, that's nail polish
Hi Kelvin,
If I remember correctly, Peter has attempted a refurb of a metering head. Hopefully he'll be able to shed some light on sealing the metal gasket.
I've not tried it myself so I can't comment much further.

:goodluck:
Andrew.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

I didn't get on with shellac, I found it too thick but you do need to seal the halves and also be very careful with the rings around the central column as it is easy to dislodge them when fitting the halves together. There's some useful advice here

https://salvox.com/rebuild-instructions

I got on OK with loctite and it was running well but then I had a spark plug problem and mistakenly took the head apart before I realised what the issue was so can't say how long term the fix was. I have also seen a gel sealant recommended but can't find the details at present but will have another look.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Kelvin Pugh

Post by Kelvin Pugh »

Thanks for that Peter really useful,ill get some loctite and try it
Kelvin
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Kelvin Pugh wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:08 am Thanks for that Peter really useful,ill get some loctite and try it
Kelvin
This is the other stuff:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384627588053 ... Sw5fBduIkt
Kelvin Pugh

Post by Kelvin Pugh »

Hi Peter/Andrew,
I've got my loctite to seal the diaphragm on the metering head, one more question to you both,on the tube insert that fits into the metering head all the slits must line up with a port on the metering head yes but what is the significance of the notched section at the end of the tube insert,has this got to line up with anything ? If so with what.
Thanks Kelvin
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Kelvin Pugh wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:55 am Hi Peter/Andrew,
I've got my loctite to seal the diaphragm on the metering head, one more question to you both,on the tube insert that fits into the metering head all the slits must line up with a port on the metering head yes but what is the significance of the notched section at the end of the tube insert,has this got to line up with anything ? If so with what.
Thanks Kelvin
I have never figured out the significance but I've got 2 or 3 spare heads and in all, when looking from underneath, the notch points just to the right of the fuel inlet connection.
Kelvin Pugh

Post by Kelvin Pugh »

That's what i thought, letting the loctite cure and I'll turn it over tomorrow see what happens 🤞
Kelvin Pugh

Post by Kelvin Pugh »

Hooray, it fired up, a bit lumpy but its running, no leaks,just got to time it right now.
Thanks everyone for your help & advice 👏👏👏