Brake line colour

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Brake line colour

Post by Mr B »

Afternoon all,

Quick question, does anyone know what colour the under bonnet brake lines were when the beast's left the factory? Something in my head says dark Green but can anyone confirm this please?

Cheers guys

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Brake line colour

Post by pbar »

That's the colour mine seem to be Wayne, yes.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

pbar wrote: ↑Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:59 pm That's the colour mine seem to be Wayne, yes.
Much appreciated mate πŸ‘

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Wayne,
I've actually studied this subject quite a bit...
they were two different shades of green depending on the circuit, as this photo clearly shows.

Andrew.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Hi Andrew,

Any recommendations for the colours? I'm detailing my dad's cars engine bay and whilst the engine is out now seems to be a good time for these kind of jobs

Wayne
T.M.
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection (1984)

Post by T.M. »

Hi,
more detailed photos from mine.
Maybe could be useful for color tracking. ;)

Tom
Attachments
!P1030818.jpg
!P1030656.jpg
!P1030654.jpg
!P1030389.jpg
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Mr B wrote: ↑Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:46 pm Any recommendations for the colours?
Hi Wayne,
The dark green is very similar to Ford Pine Green (that's what I've used on mine).

I would say that the other green looks like a generic olive green.

Andrew.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Thanks for all your help guys it's very much appreciated.

Probably a silly question but do you think they used 2 different shades of Green on the 2.8i because of the extra piping for the brake balance valve? Only asking as all of the pics here are of 2.8i's

Wayne
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I was thinking the same thing Wayne, only because, and as I said earlier, just seems to be dark green on mine. Decades of grime and discolouration however, could play a part :)
tazla
Car(s): Mk2 3.0s stardust silver

Post by tazla »

I used lawn green aerosol on one of my cars perfect match for the lighter green pipes.cant for the life of me remember where i got it from
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

You lot seriously need to actually get out and drive the things! :xd: :xd: :xd:
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Bug wrote: ↑Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:12 pm You lot seriously need to actually get out and drive the things! :xd: :xd: :xd:
I do!! lol

This particular car is special though so I'm going the extra mile with her but have to admit I'm not to keen on this detailing stuff! πŸ˜”
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I've previously used a few different shades but I have now settled for Olive Green. It is a real ballache preparing and painting the brake pipes but I can't stand to see them not done.
SCP440
Car(s): Capri Ghia MK3 3.0, Jensen Interceptor MK3, ZTT 260 V8

Post by SCP440 »

Bug wrote: ↑Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:12 pm You lot seriously need to actually get out and drive the things! :xd: :xd: :xd:
Could not agree more, you will be driving to Cologne next to put the correct air in the tyres :xd:
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

SCP440 wrote: ↑Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:58 pm
Could not agree more, you will be driving to Cologne next to put the correct air in the tyres :xd:
Only if the weather is guaranteed to be sunny with zero chance of rain, my chosen route swept to perfection, a mass insect cull of the whole route and finally 'wax and polish stations' every 30 miles :lol:

Wayne
SCP440
Car(s): Capri Ghia MK3 3.0, Jensen Interceptor MK3, ZTT 260 V8

Post by SCP440 »

Mr B wrote: ↑Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:15 pm

Only if the weather is guaranteed to be sunny with zero chance of rain, my chosen route swept to perfection, a mass insect cull of the whole route and finally 'wax and polish stations' every 30 miles :lol:

Wayne
Joking aside I went to a car show a couple of years ago and a car arrived under its own power and the owner removed the cling film from a lot of the surfaces, the only part of the car that had no cling film was the moving parts and the glass, he then spent 3 to 4 hours cleaning including using a device I can best descibe as a large pipe cleaner to clean inside the exhaust tailpipe. The underside was displayed with mirrors as that was as good as the top the engine bay was so clean you could have eaten your lunch off it. The best bit was the car, it was a Austin Maestro, no MG or Vanden Plas just a 1.6 L in Beige. Some people do need a life.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

SCP440 wrote: ↑Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:46 am

Wayne
Joking aside I went to a car show a couple of years ago and a car arrived under its own power and the owner removed the cling film from a lot of the surfaces, the only part of the car that had no cling film was the moving parts and the glass, he then spent 3 to 4 hours cleaning including using a device I can best descibe as a large pipe cleaner to clean inside the exhaust tailpipe. The underside was displayed with mirrors as that was as good as the top the engine bay was so clean you could have eaten your lunch off it. The best bit was the car, it was a Austin Maestro, no MG or Vanden Plas just a 1.6 L in Beige. Some people do need a life.
How much do we want to bet that a certain Mr Fordoholic Nick will now be employing this method next time he takes the car for a drive....??
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Wayne
I get where you are coming from but who are we to judge? For some people their car is the most expensive piece of property they own so why not look after it? I remember a time when you were told to get a life for playing computer games...it's now a multi billion pound industry where Hollywood won't even release a big new film in the weeks around a big game release like GTA or Halo.....

Wayne
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Wayne
I read a book about the SAS where they described wrapping their turds in clingfilm and taking them back with them.
This seems to be exactly the same.................... :xd:
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Bug wrote: ↑Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:36 am

Wayne
I read a book about the SAS where they described wrapping their turds in clingfilm and taking them back with them.
This seems to be exactly the same.................... :xd:
Was that Sniper One?
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.