fuse box query

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
brooky
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.0 Laser and XR4x4i.

fuse box query

Post by brooky »

The 2 square multi connectors on the underside of the fusebox seem to be a loose fit as any slight movement and power is lost, but I cant see anything apart from the pin/socket interference keeping the connectors in place. Thinking of taking the fuse box out so i can see how good the fit of the pins/sockets is, is it just the 2 screws on the top that hold the box in place.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: fuse box query

Post by Mc Tool »

yep , just them screws ........ but before you start pulling your car apart these fuse boxes are notorious for getting corrosion between the ends of the fuses and the fuse holders ........the holders being brass and the fuse usually aluminium ( dissimilar metals .....electrolysis an all that , they fizz up real well with a bit of current and moisture ) , so it would pay to clean these up 1st . If your going to use steel wool on the fuse box disconnect the battery 1st as the steel wool conducts electricity real well , can short stuff out and give you a nasty burn . Just stick a bit on a 9 volt battery and you'll see what I mean
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
brooky
Donator
Donator

Post by brooky »

Thanks MC, I'm having the problem with the connectors underneath, if they slightly move or you give them a little wobble, connections are lost, cant see any mechanical fixing or clips to keep the connectors on so I assume its just the fit between the pins and the mating sockets that holds the connector up.
brooky
Donator
Donator

Post by brooky »

Update on getting this resolved, trying to get the connectors on from underneath the dash is a pain and difficult to get them fully engaged so took the fuse box off, just the 2 screws so easy to do and then the connectors can be pulled up through the hole in the inner wing so you can get them fully engaged as takes quite a bit of a push to get them fully on. Not worth trying to do any of this from under the dash as so easy to take the box off and do it all from above.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Sometimes just removing and refitting the plugs a couple of times can help , scrapes off a bit of corrosion and good contact is re made. Sometimes you can squeeze up the female connectors with a pair of needle nose pliers to tighten things up too .
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh