One of those days.

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

One of those days.

Post by Major_Tom »

..so I went out in the Capri to go and pick up some paint. Brimmed it with 100 quids worth of Esso. On the way back, the gearbox is heaving over to the right when under hard acceleration :shock:

So I pull over, check engine and gearbox mounts, bellhousing bolts... everything's as it should be, apart from one bellhousing bolt that goes through that bracket near the clutch cable. Chuckled a spare on anyway but I'm like :headscratch:

So I get in, see if that helped. It didnt, so I resolve to limp home and investigate further.

I go 10 metres and suddenly it's on two cylinders. Open the bonnet and fuel is just gushing out of the trumpets of the first carburettor ๐Ÿ™„

Only got my basic tools on me, so did what any right thinking man would do: called the AA and gone to the nearest pub.

Should have stayed in bed!
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Major_Tom

Re: One of those days.

Post by Major_Tom »

AA just left. He couldn't work out what was going on either :headscratch: but after we took the floats out, looked at them, did some more :headscratch: put it back and it just worked again :headscratch: :headscratch:

Regards to the lurching box, do we think gearbox mounting rubber has had it boys?
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

swap it for a mk111 Zepher .........real quick :xd:
I dont think a gearbox mount would cause the motor/trans to rock ...........broken left side engine mount would . Youd have to get in there with a lever and try and tip the motor over whilst looking to see whats going on :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Mc Tool wrote: โ†‘Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:19 pm swap it for a mk111 Zepher .........real quick :xd:
I dont think a gearbox mount would cause the motor/trans to rock ...........broken left side engine mount would . Youd have to get in there with a lever and try and tip the motor over whilst looking to see whats going on :)
It is weird. And yes my man you ARE right there.. the day after looking at another female, the Zephyr, she breaks down in floods of tears. Will jack up the engine tomorrow and see what moves.

I have upset the poor lady :(
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Yep, engine mount rubber broken. Other side just about to go too. Only 1 month old from rallydesign :shock:
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Crap quality ๐Ÿ™„

Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Major_Tom wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:32 pm Crap quality ๐Ÿ™„

That has got to be a refund surely?
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Will ensure it will be. Apparently a few people haven't been happy with stuff from rallydesign recently. Sad when a company goes down hill like this.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Could be all that torque from that mighty pinto engine๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿคฌ๐Ÿ˜† ........(them 45's wont be helping either.......other than weighing down that side of the engine) .....just ripped er apart ๐Ÿ˜
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Do Rally Design source their parts from the same manufacturer as every other supplier though?

Andrew.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:21 pm Do Rally Design source their parts from the same manufacturer as every other supplier though?

Andrew.
Not sure, but the mounts I got were supposed to be heavy duty ones. They have a larger diameter than the standard ones and flex a lot less.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I've stopped using the "new" mountings on my builds. The originals are much better. I have some if you need them.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Thanks Martin, I have a couple of genuine ones on there now from my mate who had used 4 of them for insulators on the legs of his compressor :) he's changed compressors since so had them as spares fortunately.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

My mistake - it was Burton Power not rallydesign, sorry about that. I have since seen that Burton sells metal cups that enclose the insulators... for ยฃ40 for the pair :shock:

Seems a little like they fabricated them after realising the bushes were crap, but maybe I'm just being cynical!
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Major_Tom wrote: โ†‘Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:07 pm My mistake - it was Burton Power not rallydesign, sorry about that. I have since seen that Burton sells metal cups that enclose the insulators... for ยฃ40 for the pair :shock:

Seems a little like they fabricated them after realising the bushes were crap, but maybe I'm just being cynical!
IIRC some Capri models came off the production line with those metal cups, possibly 2.8's or Mk 1 3 litres, I'm not 100% sure but 3 of my Capri's have them fitted and they have been on the cars for years.

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Mr B wrote: โ†‘Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:39 pm
Major_Tom wrote: โ†‘Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:07 pm My mistake - it was Burton Power not rallydesign, sorry about that. I have since seen that Burton sells metal cups that enclose the insulators... for ยฃ40 for the pair :shock:

IIRC some Capri models came off the production line with those metal cups, possibly 2.8's or Mk 1 3 litres, I'm not 100% sure but 3 of my Capri's have them fitted and they have been on the cars for years.

Wayne
Yes it says some Capris had them factory fitted on their website I notice.