Headlight disassembly

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Headlight disassembly

Post by Major_Tom »

..hello you fine people. I have found one of my original headlight units, reflector corroded, but the glass has my reg etched into it, as does all the glass on the car, so it seems a shame not to do something with it.

Can the lens be removed and swapped onto a different bowl? What do I need to do so?
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Supercharged 2.1 (daily driver- when it works)

Re: Headlight disassembly

Post by Supercharged Nat »

Hey Tom, many years ago i seperated the lens from the reflectors, even heating of the sealant and careful prying / cutting with a thin blade eventually got them apart. A polyurethane sealant/ adhesive should hold them together again ( i think i used a clear silicone sealant) once old sealant is removed.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Nice one thanks mate 👍
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Kelvin Pugh
Car(s): Capri 2.8i restoration project

Post by Kelvin Pugh »

I put mine in the oven for 15 mins then prised off the lens when the sealant was soft.
SCP440
Car(s): Capri Ghia MK3 3.0, Jensen Interceptor MK3, ZTT 260 V8

Post by SCP440 »

The sealant that is used is called Butyl Sealant, it is available in strips that can be molded once warmed. The way I have used it in the past is to apply the sealant to one of the parts and put it in an oven at the lowest setting. Leave it in there for 10 to 15 mins and then remove it with an oven glove, assemble the two parts and clamp using some pressure, it only takes 10 mins to go off and once cooled is watertight and the two parts are impossible to seperate unless heat is applied again,