Return to Capri ownership - some issues

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Mineralman
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser

Return to Capri ownership - some issues

Post by Mineralman »

Well, nearly 30 years after having to sell my beloved Capri Mk2 to buy my first house, I am once again a Capri owner. Just purchased a mineral blue 2.0 Laser in decent enough Condition. Started working on correcting a few issues but some have me stumped and would like to pick your collective brains for answers.
Blower motor not working on either speed, high or low. Checked the fuse, looks fine. Is there a common fault with these, any ideas?
No radio, not overly fussed but interestingly it is the original Ford item!
Moderate rubbing / grinding noise from presumably the back axle, more noticeable around 60 mph, didn’t notice it from the passenger seat on test drive. Presumably back axle run low on oil?
Sunroof tilts but won’t slide. The seller did slide it back when I inspected the car but it was stiff. Now it won’t slide at all and I don’t want to force anything and break it. Any tips to free it off?
Ammeter appears not to be working, not that I am too fussed about this.
Cracked dash - what a surprise… I did see a Laser at a show that had a very neat tailored cover that goes over the top of the existing dash, it was hard to spot it had been added. Anyone know who makes / sells these? Love the car, did 140 miles home in just over 2 1/2 hours, engines as sweet as they come. Any advice on fixing the above much appreciated.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Return to Capri ownership - some issues

Post by Mc Tool »

Sounds like a real bargain :xd: :xd: My experience is that I usually spend a grand on any new ( to me ) vehicle just dealing with the OCD ......so its probly about right .
Rubbing grinding noise could be the diff , the rear brakes or the centre drive shaft bearing. As for the sunroof ( should be called a "drizzle shit weather roof " ) I know nothing . The electrical stuff ...... seeing as how you have a few issues I think the thing to do is get the correct wiring diagram ,check the earthing points , and get a multi meter and start at the battery ( or fuse box if your feeling lucky ) and follow the volts
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
BertCapri
Car(s): 79'3.0S + 79 2ltr

Post by BertCapri »

Sunroof needs to drop below level of roof to slide under it, sometimes a gentle tap with side off your fist will drop it from closed position, and allow you to retract it, once open is selected and handle has been turned a few mm inside car, hope that works for you always does for me on sticky Capri ff sunroofs, once you get it open maybe oil, wd40 and or lightly grease mechanisms and track you can access then, just be gentle and you should be fine
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Mineralman wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:34 pm I did see a Laser at a show that had a very neat tailored cover that goes over the top of the existing dash, it was hard to spot it had been added.
Congratulations for returning to Capri ownership and welcome to the forum! :welcome:

There are leather covers available on Ebay. However, if you're not scared of a bit of work I would suggest replacing the original dash with the CCI reproduction item.
https://www.capriclub.co.uk/Dash_Top_Mk ... --400.html
If you're looking at repairing or replacing the heater motor, it could be a good opportunity to do both jobs at the same time.

The non-functioning heater could be the motor or the resistor at fault.

Andrew.
Mineralman

Post by Mineralman »

Thanks for the replies guys. Regarding the sunroof, I can get the back edge to drop down when trying to retract it, should the front drop as well? Have squirted some WD40 into the parts I can reach with the roof tilted. Regarding the blower motor resistor, is this sited on the blower motor or is it somewhere else?
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

The radio should have an in line fuse so might be worth checking that. The heater motor is known for siezing. If you are lucky you may be able to free it off and lube it but if it has been left on the motor may have burnt out. You probably need to remove the whole heater box to find out.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Mine had a dead mouse jamming the fan blades........
And a burnt out motor 🙂
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Mc Tool wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:56 am Mine had a dead mouse jamming the fan blades........
And a burnt out motor 🙂
I like to imagine the mouse was kicked into the spinning blades by a James Bond mouse that was escaping with the pint-sized plans for a rodent doomsday weapon.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Mineralman

Post by Mineralman »

Well, pushed the back of the sunroof down and gently wound the handle and…. the handle snapped. Great. So something else to fix now. The car has also had new metal cases hatchback gas struts fitted so the HRW has been left disconnected. I was going to run a wire down each strut but as the top half of the strut retracts I can’t fix anything to it so it would look somewhat messy. Has anyone run the wires across the hinges and neatly down the side of the glass? Anyone got a spare sun roof handle please????
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Mineralman wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:47 pm Anyone got a spare sun roof handle please????
They're hard to come by now, but there is one on Ebay at the moment.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234607209116 ... SwhTpivb0e

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Mineralman wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:34 am Regarding the blower motor resistor, is this sited on the blower motor or is it somewhere else?
It is on the blower motor assembly.

Andrew.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Major_Tom wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:08 am
Mc Tool wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:56 am Mine had a dead mouse jamming the fan blades........
And a burnt out motor 🙂
I like to imagine the mouse was kicked into the spinning blades by a James Bond mouse that was escaping with the pint-sized plans for a rodent doomsday weapon.
Huh , I thought it was a professional mouse 😆, stinkin little hua .
Funny really coz I remember there being a fucking awful stink in my car .......and the heater didnt work ( still doesnt ),I actually thought there might be half a hot dog or something rolled under the seat .
I have a mouse trap in the glove box now , got two so far ( different car ) . The little cnuts ate my plastic straws ( you only get paper ones at McDonalds now and they make my teeth feel funny ) and a whole roll of quickeze....
Screenshot_20220702-092231~2.png
.couldnt figure out where the wee bits of gold foil came from , coz thats all that was left ,........untill I wanted a quickeze.
Ha Dianne and me removed all the wall panels in our back porch looking for a deadie ( cats bring them in half dead and let them go......we also get livies ) and eventually gave up .......only to find it under the mat we had been standing on while deconstructing our house.
T.M.
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection (1984)

Post by T.M. »

Mineralman wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:47 pm The car has also had new metal cases hatchback gas struts fitted so the HRW has been left disconnected. I was going to run a wire down each strut but as the top half of the strut retracts I can’t fix anything to it so it would look somewhat messy.
Hi,
you could buy electrically conductive tailgate struts:
https://www.tickover.co.uk/shop/content ... /d393.html

Here is whole topic about it:
http://www.fordcapriforum.com/forum/vie ... 9&start=40

Tom
Mineralman

Post by Mineralman »

Thanks Tom, I neatly ran the wires down the gas struts yesterday, does the job and doesn’t look too bad. I might take the car to get some work quoted on it. It has
Some scabs on the front wings so might bite the bullet and get these repaired or replaced. Are Expressed wings okay? I note they state they are pattern parts which often isn’t a good sign although Expressed panels are normally spot on. The rest of the car looks remarkably solid and worth getting it sorted for years to come.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Mineralman wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:57 pm Thanks Tom, I neatly ran the wires down the gas struts yesterday

If you are able to post a pic of this if you don't mind, it would be interesting to see your solution.

Capri pattern wings, by all suppliers, can be difficult to fit and will need some messing. If your current original ones are repairable, that would probably be a better option.

Welcome by the way! :)
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

The heater has been discussed a few times, is a bit of a bitch of a job. Try this link to see if it helps

http://www.fordcaprilaser.co.uk/page151.htm

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Mineralman

Post by Mineralman »

Thanks all. The rust on the front wings is mostly at the back bottom edge below the rub strip on both sides so I did think of just having this section of the wing replaced as the join could be hidden behind the rub strip. The front edge of the n/s wing is blistering by the headlight. It looks like both front wings have been replaced before as the fit is not brilliant and the n/s one has also had a blow in on the front top edge. Maybe using two pattern wings to just provide the repair sections may be the way to go and less invasive. Remarkably the bonnet and remaining panels look to still have their factory paint in them. It looks like it might have been that water based paint that was a little “soft” as the paint has some wear and marks in it. But it is 36 years old.