Damaged chrome

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Jim
Car(s): 1.6

Damaged chrome

Post by Jim »

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I have posted on here but apart from the odd niggle, my Capri is still going strong. I have two questions but will post the other in a separate post.

The first problem is I recently had some tyres fitted and the fitter never took the Chrome rings that you find on the GL's out before replacing the tyre. This has meant that the ring has become badly dented and scratched. The tyre company have admitted fault and are willing to pay for the replacement but I need to get some quotes first. Does anyone know of a company in the Surrey area ideally that will be able to refurbish the rings and get the scratches and dents out? I'll try and post some pictures shortly.

Many thanks.
Jim

Re: Damaged chrome

Post by Jim »

Above is a picture of the damage that has occurred to one of the rings.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Are these the same as yours, Jim?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284805326412 ... SwtzZid775

I'm sure if you really wanted them, there's a chance that somebody closer can pick them up and send them on to you.

Andrew.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Thanks Andrew.

I think they are slightly different though. Looks like they have a step on the edge where as mine don't.

I was hoping to get the ones I have no repaired but I'm not sure how easy that will be!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Trouble with chrome is that any deformity shows up real well which makes them hard to repair.
That one looks like it could be improved by laying an old towel or blanket ( even a good one will do as long as she dont find out 😁)over the edge of a wooden work bench and placing the trim on that and then carefully applying a rubber hammer and working the high bits down with many small blows .....not one big one
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh