Windscreen size

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Hollypoppylab
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser, 1985 reg. runner

Windscreen size

Post by Hollypoppylab »

Replacing the screen on my 1985 Laser, as it's got a chip in it, a big scratch & starting to delaminate. Been onto Pilkingtons & they've been really helpful, sent me the size guides etc. Just trying to find out what size my screen actually is? The more I look at info on line, the more confused I'm getting? I assumed my screen would be the larger of the two sizes due to it being a later model, but looking at some previous posts on here, and as my Capri has the sunroof fitted, it would have the smaller screen. Tried to measure it, but the Pilkington sizes are the actual glass size, not too sure how far the glass extends into the seal though? Any ideas much appreciated.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Windscreen size

Post by pbar »

Have you seen this thread, might be of interest as regards to the screen tint and having your insurance fit it instead. Also I thought I read somewhere that the screens are the same size but it's the seal which differs, but I could have dreamt that -

http://www.fordcapriforum.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=50045
Hollypoppylab

Post by Hollypoppylab »

Thanks pbar, never thought of getting it done on insurance, you're a star. Just rang my insurance company, all sorted & should be done next week.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Hollypoppylab wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:44 pm Thanks pbar, never thought of getting it done on insurance, you're a star. Just rang my insurance company, all sorted & should be done next week.

Superb! Be sure to post on your experience with that, would be very interested to know how it goes.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:05 pm the screens are the same size but it's the seal which differs
The aperture is the same in all Capris, the larger windscreen requires a smaller seal and vice versa.

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:07 pm The aperture is the same in all Capris, the larger windscreen requires a smaller seal and vice versa.

So I guess that it doesn't matter which screen you get/fit, (leaving aside thoughts of originality for a moment) as long as you use the appropriate seal to go with it, then the screen will fit.
Hollypoppylab

Post by Hollypoppylab »

The lady from the insurance company rang me a bit ago, just to make sure they can get the right tinted one. Told her it's bronze & luckily she can get one no problem.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Hollypoppylab wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:32 pm The lady from the insurance company rang me a bit ago, just to make sure they can get the right tinted one. Told her it's bronze & luckily she can get one no problem.

That's fantastic. And really good to know. Hope it works out! Be sure to let us know.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Hollypoppylab wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:32 pm The lady from the insurance company rang me a bit ago, just to make sure they can get the right tinted one. Told her it's bronze & luckily she can get one no problem.
When I got mine done a couple of years ago they use Pilkingtons to supply the screen anyway and they're good quality so fingers crossed you will be happy with the outcome!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Hollypoppylab

Post by Hollypoppylab »

Thanks all. Insurance company just confirmed the new screen will be fitted next Wednesday. I'll let you know how it goes.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Great stuff. So much easier when you can just hand it to someone else to take care of isn't it?! So many people seem to struggle to get hold of the right windscreen, but they do seem to be available to the windscreen companies.

Just one thing, whilst I think about it, make sure (if it bothers you that is) that the new screen doesn't have a location 'square' for the rear view mirror, as the Capri mirror hangs from the roof of course. Think I read this once when someone changed their screen.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

God shout Paul, the first time I went they gave me the wrong tint, and it also had a rear view mirror pad on it so had to be re-ordered
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Hollypoppylab

Post by Hollypoppylab »

New screen all fitted by National Windscreens, through my insurance. Bit of a delay as they had to wait for it to come from Pilkingtons. Best £75 (the excess) I've ever spent. Correct bronze tint, Triplex logo in the corner & fitted perfectly first time. Transformed the look of my Capri, no more milky screen with a huge wiper scratch & a chip! Thanks to all for your advice, saved me a fortune.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Brilliant, so glad it worked out for you :)