SGS Engineering Re-gassing

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: SGS Engineering Re-gassing

Post by pbar »

At least while I've been waiting for the parcel, (which was never going to arrive) I was able to get my vintage record player working properly again. My neighbours frequently listen to Slade on that :)
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

pbar wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:58 pm At least while I've been waiting for the parcel, (which was never going to arrive) I was able to get my vintage record player working properly again. My neighbours frequently listen to Slade on that :)
Nice one Paul :lol: :lol:

Didn't you realise you have to wind it up :wave:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
pbar

Post by pbar »

Erm....when I said vintage, think more like the 70s/80s than the 20s!
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

pbar wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:02 pm Erm....when I said vintage, think more like the 70s/80s than the 20s!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

For us young 'uns the 1970s might as well be the 1920s! :lol:

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:57 pm For us young 'uns the 1970s might as well be the 1920s! :lol:

Are you referring to your mental age :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:08 pm Are you referring to your mental age :)
Expressed as a mathematical equation:
Shoe size > My mental age
:lol:

Andrew.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

I guess it depends on how the seals are retained . Some times the fit the seal and then roll the end of the tube over, there must be a limit as to how many times you could do that before it becomes an issue .
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
pbar

Post by pbar »

Well, I received the struts back today, unfortunately they have damaged one of them. I did explain beforehand that they did work but were just weak, but now one is unusable. Also they were both covered in oil in the packaging, would have thought they could at least have wiped them.

I have contacted them again to see what happens now. What a terrible company.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:34 am Well, I received the struts back today, unfortunately they have damaged one of them. I did explain beforehand that they did work but were just weak, but now one is unusable. Also they were both covered in oil in the packaging, would have thought they could at least have wiped them.

That's not acceptable Paul!

They'll probably try and blame the courier, but hope you get it sorted one way or another.

:goodluck:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

pbar wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:34 am Well, I received the struts back today, unfortunately they have damaged one of them. I did explain beforehand that they did work but were just weak, but now one is unusable. Also they were both covered in oil in the packaging, would have thought they could at least have wiped them.

I agree with Andy they should have packaged them better , if there quality of work has gone down hill they will not be in business for long .
I did have a look in my parts stuff but don’t have any , going to the CCI show in May and people do sell stuff from there capris so I will keep a eye out
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
pbar

Post by pbar »

Jasonmarie wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:59 pm I did have a look in my parts stuff but don’t have any

That was good of you, thanks Jason.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Well, after all day of trying, getting nowhere and back and to's, I have at least somethng from them I can work with -

They have offered me a brand new pair at a discounted cost, around £20. (Not sure what they are from them normally?) Trouble is they are not conductive, and I can't really think of a non-ugly way of getting around that issue.

So, I probably wouldn't use them and would pass them on to someone who perhaps could, or I could ebay them.

What do you think, would it be worth getting them?
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:58 pm
pbar wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:58 pm At least while I've been waiting for the parcel, (which was never going to arrive) I was able to get my vintage record player working properly again. My neighbours frequently listen to Slade on that :)
Nice one Paul :lol: :lol:

Didn't you realise you have to wind it up :wave:
I do love a gramophone... you can get portable ones, the ghetto blaster of days gone by 8-)
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Slade , OMG pbar..... What did they do to you to deserve that?😝😁

I put the 2 wires that connect via the struts thru the rubber snorkle , I left the one that connects when the hatch closes as it was .....bit of a rigmarole but solves the issue .
I thought £20 (40 bucks NZ ) sounds blimmin cheap
Last edited by Mc Tool on Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Major_Tom wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:07 pm
I do love a gramophone... you can get portable ones, the ghetto blaster of days gone by 8-)
Tom I got my Grandads old gramophone that i used ti see in his shed over in Dublin when i was a nipper !! Its in my wardrobe at the moment :lol: but it used to be in show in our previous property. Its just brilliant. The volume control is just genius. You ooen the wooden slats on the side of the cabinet to as allow the sound from inside to escape. Close the slats and the sound gets muffled. Just genius. I got loads of waxed 78s of Irish Reels and Joseph Locke etc. You get such a real sound from a time long gone Love it :lol:
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

I love the stilus crackle of my dad's old LPs, just an old turntable though that. Yeah and it's the only form of media I can think of that (stored correctly) doesn't degrade over the years. Theoretically it would last indefinitely... if you never play it :lol: They must eventually wear out being played I guess.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Mc Tool wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:52 pm I put the 2 wires that connect via the struts thru the rubber snorkle , I left the one that connects when the hatch closes as it was

I don't quite follow that. You mean you put the wire that connects to the 'thin' end through the tailgate rubber? Then connected the other end to what though?
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

I have fitted a bit of rubber concertina hose with a gromet sorta thing on one end(off a dishwasher ) ,about 3/8" in dia that goes from under (over ) the rear of the hood lining and into a hole in the top of the hatch . I then re-routed the 2 wires that normally attach to the bottom of the struts thru this hose and on to the rear window heater ( which doesnt work properly as half the element strips are broken )and the windscreen wiper motor.
The whole reason I did this is because when I got the car both the wiper and the heater had been giving trouble and the previous owner ( my Uncle )said he had trouble with the struts , so I put 2 and 2 together and wandered off down the wrong track ,blamed the struts for not maintaining continuity and rewired the whole plot. Needless to say it didnt work and I wound up cleaning the wiper motor internal contacts and sussed the heater element was crook.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:01 pm Well, after all day of trying, getting nowhere and back and to's, I have at least somethng from them I can work with -

They have offered me a brand new pair at a discounted cost, around £20. (Not sure what they are from them normally?) Trouble is they are not conductive, and I can't really think of a non-ugly way of getting around that issue.

So, I probably wouldn't use them and would pass them on to someone who perhaps could, or I could ebay them.

What do you think, would it be worth getting them?
I would prefer £20 payment and put that towards a set from Martin or maybe those on ebay as it says they are conductive.

Like Nick, the ones I bought from Martin were great so if he has them :cool: