SGS Engineering Re-gassing

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

SGS Engineering Re-gassing

Post by pbar »

Well, my experience with this company is very poor unfortunately.

After contacting them they suggested that I send them my tailgate struts for re-gassing, which I did. They then said they can't do them as Capri struts are now that old that the seals can't cope with it, and I have to pay to have them returned. So, £12 out of pocket.

They were keen to sell me brand new ones but the electrical connections wouldn't work.

I do have a second pair but am loathe to send them those, in case they repeat the above performance.

I was dubious to begin with, I know that a forum member or two have used them, but there are so many poor reviews of this company on the net, but I decided to take the chance.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: SGS Engineering Re-gassing

Post by andyd »

Hi Paul,
That's a bugger :( I had no issues with them.

Can you tell them to keep them and save £12 return postage?
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks Andy. I could tell them to keep them but I'd like them back, as they're the original struts, and they do just about hold the tailgate up, just very weak.

Before I sent them it was all 'oh yes we will do them we will do them', which became 'Capri struts are that old now the seals can't cope', pity I wasn't told that first!

Just hoping they haven't 'wrecked' them in some way.

I did see those ebay ones earler, but they seem to be new ones, so not keen, and can't see any electrical connectors on the very blurry pic.

I have asked in the parts section if anyone has any for sale and/or will try Martin too of course.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:32 pm Can you tell them to keep them and save £12 return postage?
Don't do that as John Hill often writes in the mag that supplies of these are running low. They're worth £20 a pop as exchange units with CCI.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:53 pm Thanks Andy. I could tell them to keep them but I'd like them back, as they're the original struts, and they do just about hold the tailgate up, just very weak.

Before I sent them it was all 'oh yes we will do them we will do them', which became 'Capri struts are that old now the seals can't cope', pity I wasn't told that first!

Just hoping they haven't 'wrecked' them in some way.

I did see those ebay ones earler, but they seem to be new ones, so not keen, and can't see any electrical connectors on the very blurry pic.

I have asked in the parts section if anyone has any for sale and/or will try Martin too of course.
I was told that it all depends how bad yours are if too bad maybe not able to re gas, maybe I was just lucky.

I can understand wanting to keep the originals, but certain you can put your electrical connectors on the ebay type ones if required.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks Andy, the ebay ones seem to omit a 'sleeve' which the originals have to keep the electrical tab in place so may have to find a solution if I get those. Will look at them further though and see. I have asked the seller how the connectors can be fitted.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:03 pm
andyd wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:32 pm Can you tell them to keep them and save £12 return postage?
Don't do that as John Hill often writes in the mag that supplies of these are running low. They're worth £20 a pop as exchange units with CCI.

Andrew.

I guess that they are only worth that if they can be regassed though? They must be bin fodder if not then.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Surely if the gas has leaked out then the seals would need replacing before re gassing :roll: . I have a broom stick holding ( most of the time .......you only need to knock the stick out once ) my hatch up . The struts had been regassed by the PO and still sag .....completely, so Im just running all the wires thru the rubber snorkle thing on top of the hatch. Why , when you have said snorkle right there ,would you fuck round using the struts for power supply .....I dont recall any other car doing same.
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I gan only say that I had my Laser struts regassed by SGS about 5 years ago and they're still fine. However, had some bonnet ones for my old SD1 vitesse done and they were crap.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Mc Tool wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:14 pm Surely if the gas has leaked out then the seals would need replacing before re gassing

Perhaps the gas seeps out over the years, a bit like tyres which naturally deflate then you have to add more air in. I did ask SGS if they can simply replace the seals then, you would have thought I'd asked them to build a new space craft with the reaction I got.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Paul G wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:20 pm I gan only say that I had my Laser struts regassed by SGS about 5 years ago and they're still fine. However, had some bonnet ones for my old SD1 vitesse done and they were crap.

Thanks Paul, the more I read about them/the process, the more hit and miss it seems. Wish I hadn't bothered!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

That’s a shame , but I would have thought they had spare seals , as they Regas these all the time .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
pbar

Post by pbar »

Jasonmarie wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:41 pm That’s a shame , but I would have thought they had spare seals , as they Regas these all the time .

They are not able to replace the seals at all Jason, it seems. I guess that, as the years go by, the success rate of regassing will be less and less as the seals age and eventually none of them can be regassed I guess.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Well, even though this brilliant company promised to send my struts back yesterday for delivery today, and of course I paid for the privilege, they never even sent them.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I hope they at least still have them to send back...?
If so, compensation can be them refunding you for the inconvenience of their ineptitude!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Havng them disappearing/lost/stolen, is my worry Danny which is why I want them back quickly. They are my original ones, but not only that perhaps at some point a company will be able to regas and replace the seals.

I could see that trying to get any kind of compensation for a lost item from this company would be an ongoing nightmare.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I'd e hounding them for proof of postage and demanding compensation if they have gone walkies - somewhere to the tune of £120 for CCI replacements would be my suggestion if they have!!

It would be very annoying if they had just lost them
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:33 pm I could see that trying to get any kind of compensation for a lost item from this company would be an ongoing nightmare.
I'm sure everything will be OK, the delivery delay might be due to the carrier.
I had an issue with an airhose that I bought from SGS and I received a replacement the day after I notified them. From the experiences I've had with them, I cannot fault their customer service.

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:49 pm I'm sure everything will be OK, the delivery delay might be due to the carrier.

Apparently they haven't even sent them out, they are not sure what the 'engineer' has done. So will see! I've found that they are a nightmare to get hold of on the phone.
andyd

Post by andyd »

It's annoying that some of us that had a great experience with SGS recommend it to others only for them to be down!

It seems they have somewhat dropped the ball on this occasion :?