Most Expensive Capri ?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Most Expensive Capri ?

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Don't get me wrong, this car looks gorgeous, and I've love to own it. I just can't remember any road-going Capri having such a high asking price before.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144284491300 ... SwBMFhi1sh

Andrew

Note to pbar: The price looks reasonable to me. :lol: :lol:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Most Expensive Capri ?

Post by andyd »

I saw that a few days ago Andrew.

Lovely car but unless you have money to burn it's pretty much unusable at that price :?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:52 am Lovely car
:agree: This car looks stunning in Modena green, although the HPI check in the listing states that it may not be the original colour.
I wonder who restored it?

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:00 am
andyd wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:52 am Lovely car
:agree: This car looks stunning in Modena green, although the HPI check in the listing states that it may not be the original colour.
I wonder who restored it?

Andrew.
I think they were green, white or blue only :headscratch:

Looks a nice job but I would never change a colour from it's original on any car, must affect the resale value and desirability.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:51 am

Note to pbar: The price looks reasonable to me. :lol: :lol:
Wind up merchant! Hehe I was going to write that then I saw your little footnote, funny!

Surely it is only the most expensive Capri if it sells at that though, will be interesting to see although who knows what's genuine in the world of evilbay.

Andy's right, I wouldn't change a colour either.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:24 amWind up merchant! Hehe I was going to write that then I saw your little footnote, funny!
I couldn't help myself!

We don't know if this green was the original colour and there had been a colour change in the past, and it has now been restored in the original Modena Green. If the colour changes had been reported to the DVLA, then that would flag up the colour change in a HPI check.

Personally, I wouldn't ever change the colour of the whole car from the original factory supplied colour.

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:24 am who knows what's genuine in the world of evilbay.
Bad advert as no pics of the near side, rear, front or interior :roll:

A picture paints a 1000 words, so whatever the price take as many pics as possible so any buyer is sure of the overall condition and avoid loads of questions!
Last edited by andyd on Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:37 am Bad advert as no pics of the near side, rear, front or interior :roll:
I did notice the lack of exterior photos, but the listing does say that some will follow. Perhaps the seller is waiting for the car to be cleaned properly first?
Either way, I doubt anybody would spend this much on a car without giving it a thorough inspection in person first?

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

It will probably end up with a 'collector' never to be driven again :(

Watching re runs of Shed and Buried, I was thinking what is the difference between a collector and a horder?
To me a collector will have things on display and in good condition, a horder will have a pile of stuff in the corner covered in dust and crap and no idea what is at the back.

I'm happy to hear other opinions :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:45 am what is the difference between a collector and a horder?
To me a collector will have things on display and in good condition, a horder will have a pile of stuff in the corner covered in dust and crap and no idea what is at the back.
I think you're on the right tracks.
I will add that a collector will have items that is sought after by other collectors, a hoarder just picks up rubbish that nobody else wants.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Would be more Money if it was running a good Pinto Engine :lol: & Green was always a unlucky colour…………………
But saying how much things have gone up , pinto Nick rung me on Thursday saying he paid over £2 for a 50oz jar of Vaseline :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Is this that RS3100 that was doing the rounds for a few years and just not selling? It was 25,000 - 35,000 last time I saw it I think :/
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

I know some people get excited about better-than-factory restorations and all that (and it is impressive) but its not something I really get, like trailer-ing cars to shows just for everyone to have a look at, then take it home after.
This is being sold as an artefact to look at, and for someone to own for the say-so, its not really a motor vehicle any more - at least not at that price.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:52 pm Green was always a unlucky
Peter and Al have done alright for themselves though ! :lol:

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Major_Tom wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:07 am Is this that RS3100 that was doing the rounds for a few years and just not selling? It was 25,000 - 35,000 last time I saw it I think :/
Not sure, although there can't be that many green ones in existence so the chances must be good.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Noel wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:18 am I know some people get excited about better-than-factory restorations and all that (and it is impressive) but its not something I really get, like trailer-ing cars to shows just for everyone to have a look at, then take it home after.
This is being sold as an artefact to look at, and for someone to own for the say-so, its not really a motor vehicle any more - at least not at that price.
All good points. I love to see a car restored to a high standard, but as you say, trailering them to shows instead of driving means that a huge part of classic car ownership is being missed out on.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:38 pm
Major_Tom wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:07 am Is this that RS3100 that was doing the rounds for a few years and just not selling? It was 25,000 - 35,000 last time I saw it I think :/
Not sure, although there can't be that many green ones in existence so the chances must be good.

Andrew.
This might be the one you are thinking of RPU654M https://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/top-1 ... 9/?image=3

I know the owner who restored it.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Noel wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:18 am I know some people get excited about better-than-factory restorations and all that (and it is impressive) but its not something I really get, like trailer-ing cars to shows just for everyone to have a look at, then take it home after.
A mate has a near concours Fiesta Supersport but he does drive it to shows if dry, and pretty much spends the first hour or more cleaning and putting mirrors so you can see the underside. On the odd occasion if has got wet he will have the wheels off when he gets home and clean the inner arches etc!

I admire what he does but that would drive me mad keeping it to that standard. Of late I prefer to have something which is presentable but with a few aged related marks that you don't have to worry too much about :cool:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:20 pm A mate has a near concours Fiesta Supersport but he does drive it to shows if dry, and pretty much spends the first hour or more cleaning and putting mirrors so you can see the underside. On the odd occasion if has got wet he will have the wheels off when he gets home and clean the inner arches etc!
Hi Andy,
He can't be worried about going for a drive in it, it's good to see that it gets used:

ImageAfternoon Fiesta... by Sidmouth Ian, on Flickr

Andrew.
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »