Door card removal / fixing new door mirror

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Post Reply
HampshireCapri
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:35 pm
Car(s): 1981 Ford Capri 1.6 'L'

Door card removal / fixing new door mirror

Post by HampshireCapri » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:10 am

Has anyone previously removed the door card from their Capri? Is it fairly straightforward? I’ve removed the bits off of the door card itself like the grab handle etc , I’m assuming this is the only way to access the other side of the door where the door mirror bolts in/attaches? As I’ve got the new door mirror to fit into the door.

I don’t want to break/snap anything just ripping the door card off

User avatar
Noel
Donator
Donator
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 7:57 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i
Location: Twickenham

Re: Door card removal / fixing new door mirror

Post by Noel » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:13 pm

Yes its the only way to access the mirror bolts and nuts. If you have the door arm rest handle off, you then need to slide off the plastic retaining surround of the release handle (slide it off forwards, always feels like its going to break).
Then the card is held on with plastic push clips all around the sides and bottom. Start at rear bottom corner with flat scraper or screwdriver to ease them off. The door card is hardboard so its reasonably flexible within reason but be careful.

HampshireCapri
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:35 pm
Car(s): 1981 Ford Capri 1.6 'L'

Re: Door card removal / fixing new door mirror

Post by HampshireCapri » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:08 pm

Thanks Noel

Managed to sort it with your advice, but getting to the nuts seemed way more of a faff than it needed to be due to the awkward angle to get to the bolts through the access holes :banghead:
C57876B5-56B3-49B1-A5E8-50E4596D00FB.jpeg
C57876B5-56B3-49B1-A5E8-50E4596D00FB.jpeg (19.91 KiB) Viewed 193 times
147CCEB8-A948-4695-B4D6-5B9C8A4878CC.jpeg
147CCEB8-A948-4695-B4D6-5B9C8A4878CC.jpeg (22.67 KiB) Viewed 193 times

Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1808
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 8:34 pm
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss
Location: Invercargill New Zealand

Re: Door card removal / fixing new door mirror

Post by Mc Tool » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:04 pm

Try sitting the car on its wheels ,doing it on its side or upside down will only make it harder.

Faaaaark! some people 🙄🙄
Id rather have a bottle in front of me :beer: than a frontal lobotomy 🤯

HampshireCapri
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:35 pm
Car(s): 1981 Ford Capri 1.6 'L'

Re: Door card removal / fixing new door mirror

Post by HampshireCapri » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:25 pm

Mc Tool wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:04 pm
Try sitting the car on its wheels ,doing it on its side or upside down will only make it harder.

Faaaaark! some people 🙄🙄
Must be an Australian capri

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 6454
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Door card removal / fixing new door mirror

Post by pbar » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:17 pm

Mc Tool wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:04 pm
Try sitting the car on its wheels ,doing it on its side or upside down will only make it harder.
Hehe funny that :)

EightyFive
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:52 pm
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1985

Re: Door card removal / fixing new door mirror

Post by EightyFive » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:31 pm

HampshireCapri wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:08 pm
Thanks Noel

Managed to sort it with your advice, but getting to the nuts seemed way more of a faff than it needed to be due to the awkward angle to get to the bolts through the access holes :banghead:

C57876B5-56B3-49B1-A5E8-50E4596D00FB.jpeg
147CCEB8-A948-4695-B4D6-5B9C8A4878CC.jpeg
I find the little socket sets from aldi/ lidl amazing for fiddly stuff like this and other interior fixings that are hard to get to. Loads of attachments and angled bits.

Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1808
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 8:34 pm
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss
Location: Invercargill New Zealand

Re: Door card removal / fixing new door mirror

Post by Mc Tool » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:27 pm

HampshireCapri wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:25 pm
Mc Tool wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:04 pm
Try sitting the car on its wheels ,doing it on its side or upside down will only make it harder.

Faaaaark! some people 🙄🙄
Must be an Australian capri
You do realise that Australia and New Zealand ( where I am from ) are not the same country ....I am thinking this was a miss-aimed jibe at me (😁) , otherwise I dont get the Australian connection .
Ford Australia did make a Capri ,but it wasn't a proper one ......big pile of shit really.
Id rather have a bottle in front of me :beer: than a frontal lobotomy 🤯

Bug
Posts: 3549
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:52 pm
Car(s): Some

Re: Door card removal / fixing new door mirror

Post by Bug » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:11 pm

Mc Tool wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:27 pm
You do realise that Australia and New Zealand ( where I am from ) are not the same country ....I am thinking this was a miss-aimed jibe at me (😁) , otherwise I dont get the Australian connection .
I suspect it was more just a simple antipodal generalisation.

Over here we tend to say anything upside down is Australian.
But then, that is only based on the way a map is drawn. The UK is as much antipodal to Oz as the other way round.
Maybe we're upside down, not you?

Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1808
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 8:34 pm
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss
Location: Invercargill New Zealand

Re: Door card removal / fixing new door mirror

Post by Mc Tool » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:33 pm

that would be like me thinking you were French :xd: , and if anybody told me they thought I was French I probly hit them.
Id rather have a bottle in front of me :beer: than a frontal lobotomy 🤯

Bug
Posts: 3549
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:52 pm
Car(s): Some

Re: Door card removal / fixing new door mirror

Post by Bug » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:32 am

Mc Tool wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:33 pm
that would be like me thinking you were French :xd: , and if anybody told me they thought I was French I probly hit them.
French? Nope, don't recall them?

Ah, do you mean the cheese-eating surrender monkeys? :xd:

HampshireCapri
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:35 pm
Car(s): 1981 Ford Capri 1.6 'L'

Re: Door card removal / fixing new door mirror

Post by HampshireCapri » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:25 pm

Bug wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:11 pm
Mc Tool wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:27 pm
You do realise that Australia and New Zealand ( where I am from ) are not the same country ....I am thinking this was a miss-aimed jibe at me (😁) , otherwise I dont get the Australian connection .
I suspect it was more just a simple antipodal generalisation.

Over here we tend to say anything upside down is Australian.
But then, that is only based on the way a map is drawn. The UK is as much antipodal to Oz as the other way round.
Maybe we're upside down, not you?
Bug is correct I was making a joke about things from Australia being upside down

Post Reply