The car in front is a Toyota

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

The car in front is a Toyota

Post by stevemarl »

Another in my occasional series `Bert`s MOT`d deathtraps`. (You may remember the wheel bearing with no balls left?) This is the front wishbone off a Corolla, with a valid MOT: only came into his garage as someone had nicked the catalyst. It does make you wonder.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Re: The car in front is a Toyota

Post by Noel »

Subaru wishbones do the same, so I've read. You have to be careful buying older Imprezas.

What year was this one and how many miles had it covered?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Noel, it was a 2006 but he can`t remember the mileage I`m afraid. (She`d driven to work, all fine, starts it up to go home and it sounds like the downpipe`s snapped. In broad daylight, at the roadside, they`d jacked it up and whipped the cat. I remember a few years ago, they broke into the Arnold Clarke new car compound at the back of us and went through quite a few vehicles in one night. I thought they`d tightened up on scrapping such things (they wanted so much crap, utility bills, passport, when I tried to weigh one in that I just gave up) Seems it`s coming back?
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Metal prices up, so its worth it again. Check out the price of palladium - its double what it was 2-3 years ago.
Older Japanese cars are favourite as the cats contain more of the expensive metals.

State of that wishbone is that incredible build quality of Toyota, I mean I am sure the engine is bulletproof and the electrics blah blah never let you down but who gives a toss if the things dissolving like that?