Brake shoes / drums size

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
HampshireCapri
Car(s): 1981 Ford Capri 1.6 'L'

Brake shoes / drums size

Post by HampshireCapri »

Hey guys

Just wondering what size brake shoes/drums am I looking for to replace what’s likely the original set up on my 1980 1.6 L?

I’ve seen on eBay you can get 8” and 9” but not sure which is standard on my car (I just want to replace with new bits like for like)

Thanks
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Re: Brake shoes / drums size

Post by 340truck »

Measure them?
HampshireCapri
Car(s): 1981 Ford Capri 1.6 'L'

Post by HampshireCapri »

340truck wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:26 amMeasure them?
Currently dealing with a leg injury so can’t get down to do this for the next few weeks otherwise I would have :nopity:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

They should be 8", the 9s being for 2.0 - BUT it really would be a good idea to check before you buy?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Having said that, I would imagine as long as the shoes and drums are the same size, 8 or 9, they would fit OK? Unless I`ve massively overlooked something?
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

You would need the correct back plates too , but ford probly used the same set up on a few different cars , probly Cortina's , so they shouldn't be hard to find if you could be bothered .
I thought about up grading my 9 inchers to discs , but with my 285mm 4 pots on the front I don't think the back wheels will even be touching the ground if I give the brake pedal a good stomp 😁
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

HampshireCapri wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:42 am Hey guys

Just wondering what size brake shoes/drums am I looking for to replace what’s likely the original set up on my 1980 1.6 L?

I’ve seen on eBay you can get 8” and 9” but not sure which is standard on my car (I just want to replace with new bits like for like)

Thanks
Hi mate,

Sorry to hear you done ypur leg in.. Can get why you cant get down to measure them so hope this helps.

https://www.tickover.co.uk/shop/contents/en-uk/d63.html

Just as Steve has said the 1.6 std rear brakes were 8", with the exception I believe being the 1.6S which had the 9". I had many chats with Tickover re brakes and here's their online shop to confirm. Again just as Steve said you can indeed upgrade to 9" but you would need the correct backing plate. Although the best upgrade you can do is up at the front with their Hi Specs 👍👍 but from what you say you are looking to keep things standard. If there has been no modification to yours upfront ie 2.0 Pinto fitted then your rear axle should be std. Tickover are showing out of stock but CCI prob have them and Martin at Capri Gear can no doubt help ypu too. I like buying things like brakes from trusted capri suppliers. Hope all goes well and hope your leg gets better soon mate.

All the best

Nick

Ps Bit of interesting info I did not know. According to CCI the 2.8 and 3.0 had a "deeper" 9" drum to the std 2.0 9" drums. As said did not know tbey did two versions of 9" drums
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Bit of quick research and the 8" seem a bit difficult to find as CCI don't seem to have them either and Euro parts are selling 9" rrar brakes for a 1.6 capri so I would deffo contact Martin at Capri Gear or Tickover to find out the situation with getting the standard 8". Good luck mate
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:08 am Bit of interesting info I did not know. According to CCI the 2.8 and 3.0 had a "deeper" 9" drum to the std 2.0 9" drums. As said did not know tbey did two versions of 9" drums
It's been well over a decade since I Capri'd, but yes the 2.8i is certainly a wider drum and shoe.
The figures of 44mm standard and 57mm for the 2.8i seem to be there in the back of my mind, but it's been a long time so don't take that as gospel.
Having known a few Tickfords and the issues they had with rear calipers seizing due to lack of use I would say there is absolutely no point at all in putting discs on the back.
All that weight on the front end, plus the weight transfer of braking hard and the rear end does bugger all really.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Bug wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:58 pm All that weight on the front end, plus the weight transfer of braking hard and the rear end does bugger all really.
:agree: :agree:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Ive used the below before and had no issues (apart from fitting the bastards which I bloody hate)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAR-BRAKE-S ... 635-2958-0
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.