Who Remembers?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Who Remembers?

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:50 pm Never happened to me as I was usually good at school, but I know some teachers could be a really good shot!

Ah yes and the PE teacher would launch a basketball at you if you were talking :evil:

Can't imagine any teacher doing it now, more like the other way around!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:59 pm Can't imagine any teacher doing it now, more like the other way around!

Hehe, yes so true Andy! :)
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Sort of on topic, I bought something from Curries recently and thought for once I`d do the feedback. Got to gender: male, female, other, or prefer not to say. I get `prefer not to say` but other??????? The world really is going tits up!
andyd

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:25 pm Sort of on topic, I bought something from Curries recently and thought for once I`d do the feedback. Got to gender: male, female, other, or prefer not to say. I get `prefer not to say` but other??????? The world really is going tits up!
Pandering to the 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.1% has got to stop Steve :poke:
pbar

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:25 pm The world really is going tits up!

As in non binary pectorals up? :) Could be hetrosexual male pecs up, female mammory glands up, need to be specific, someone is bound to be offended!

Makes you wonder how he would get by today -

andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:52 pm

Makes you wonder how he would get by today -

Bernard would'nt give a **** :lol: He wasn't racist he took 'it' out of everybody!

The haters should have been more concerned about what the likes of Saville were getting up to in the 70s :twisted:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Started watching Porridge last night, not content with the warnings of 'outdated language' and 'opinions of the time' etc, they are now cutting scenes too :swear:

Not much left on T/V worth watching, but what's the point in airing them if parts are missing :? Soon they will probably remove them completely just to keep the snowflake minority happy :roll:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

andyd wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:13 am not content with the warnings of 'outdated language' and 'opinions of the time' etc, they are now cutting scenes too
That`s completely wrong, it`s like rewriting history. Or trying to. These things, views, words are NOT acceptable now - but Porridge wasn`t made now it was 1973 or whatever and it reflects a way of life which has gone: some will mourn, some will celebrate, but `it is what it is` and deleting bits won`t change what was.
It`s like the statues of slave traders, there was a (black) academic in Edinburgh who actually said that the statues should remain because if you remove them you`re actually erasing the whole slave atrocity and the statues should serve as a reminder, actually an important part of black history That, to me, is a much more reasoned response than "that might offend... someone - rip it down."
I can`t see `Till Death Us Do Part` being re-run anytime soon :lol: Or love Thy Neighbour.
andyd

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:13 pm
andyd wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:13 am not content with the warnings of 'outdated language' and 'opinions of the time' etc, they are now cutting scenes too
That`s completely wrong, it`s like rewriting history. Or trying to. These things, views, words are NOT acceptable now - but Porridge wasn`t made now it was 1973 or whatever and it reflects a way of life which has gone: some will mourn, some will celebrate, but `it is what it is` and deleting bits won`t change what was.
It`s like the statues of slave traders, there was a (black) academic in Edinburgh who actually said that the statues should remain because if you remove them you`re actually erasing the whole slave atrocity and the statues should serve as a reminder, actually an important part of black history That, to me, is a much more reasoned response than "that might offend... someone - rip it down."
I can`t see `Till Death Us Do Part` being re-run anytime soon :lol: Or love Thy Neighbour.
I'm offended that some of my favorite programmes are now edited but who's listening to me :roll:

By all means put a warning that the programme might cause offence but at least show the whole thing :doh:

Looking back `Till Death Us Do Part` and Love Thy Neighbour were cleverly written to show how stupid the thoughts at that time were. Typically things are taken out of context and dissapear forever :(

We can't change history just look back at what has changed. If some of it had gone a different way many of us might not be here now!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

andyd wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:02 am `Till Death Us Do Part` and Love Thy Neighbour were cleverly written to show how stupid the thoughts at that time were
Exactly - but the morality police are so thick and blinkered they can`t see that!
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:13 am Started watching Porridge last night, not content with the warnings of 'outdated language' and 'opinions of the time' etc, they are now cutting scenes too :swear:

Not much left on T/V worth watching, but what's the point in airing them if parts are missing

I've mentioned this kind of thing before, on the Sweeney thread I think. I have a lot of classic TV/series and box sets (proper box sets with an actual box) and I watch them all, including Porridge and as you say, cuts and edits are rife. And on virtually all shows it seems, some you wouldn't even think would need it such as The Good Life, Citizen Smith, etc. Shows like the Sweeney and the Professionals have no chance, so heavily cut it almost changes the storylines! There is even a full Professionals episode (Klansmen) which will not be shown at all still.

But, talking of Porridge, what a fine show that was, brilliant humour and cast. Although never understood why/how David Jason got cast in that, he was only in his mid 30s yet played someone far older and made up as such. Were there no older actors they could have used?

Christopher Biggins in one of the pics below too.

andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:50 am
andyd wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:13 am Started watching Porridge last night, not content with the warnings of 'outdated language' and 'opinions of the time' etc, they are now cutting scenes too :swear:

Not much left on T/V worth watching, but what's the point in airing them if parts are missing

I've mentioned this kind of thing before, on the Sweeney thread I think. I have a lot of classic TV/series and box sets (proper box sets with an actual box) and I watch them all, including Porridge and as you say, cuts and edits are rife. And on virtually all shows it seems, some you wouldn't even think would need it such as The Good Life, Citizen Smith, etc. Shows like the Sweeney and the Professionals have no chance, so heavily cut it almost changes the storylines! There is even a full Professionals episode (Klansmen) which will not be shown at all still.

But, talking of Porridge, what a fine show that was, brilliant humour and cast. Although never understood why/how David Jason got cast in that, he was only in his mid 30s yet played someone far older and made up as such. Were there no older actors they could have used?

Christopher Biggins in one of the pics below too.

Well done for having the box sets Paul, at least you can enjoy them as they were meant! I have series 1 and 2 of Auf Weidersehn Pet, I think that has been edited for T/V now :(

David Jason and Christopher Biggins aka Blanco Webb and Lukewarm :D

Ronnie Barker was only in his mid 40s at the time but looked 10 years older to me :? There again most men looked older than they were in the 70s :lol:
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:07 am There again most men looked older than they were in the 70s :lol:

That's because they were real men! I think it's more a case of modern overly preened males craving a younger look.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Anyone remember a show called The Cuckoo Waltz. Just got this and looking forward to re-watching it. Stars the great Lewis Collins too.

andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:27 am Anyone remember a show called The Cuckoo Waltz. Just got this and looking forward to re-watching it. Stars the great Lewis Collins too.

Yes I remember it but forgot Lewis Collins was in it. Robins Nest was another from that time.

Bless This House and Man About The House are often on ITV3 :cool:
pbar

Post by pbar »

I have Bless This House, loved watching that, super series. Keep thinking of getting some of Richard O'Sullivan's shows, he was never off the TV back then. Have a look here, it has to be the best classic TV/film DVD site/distributor ever, bought loads from here, usually cheaper than Amazon and free delivery -

https://networkonair.com/
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:39 am I have Bless This House, loved watching that, super series. Keep thinking of getting some of Richard O'Sullivan's shows, he was never off the TV back then. Have a look here, it has to be the best classic TV/film DVD site/distributor ever, bought loads from here, usually cheaper than Amazon and free delivery -

https://networkonair.com/
:cool:
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

All excellent programs from my growing up days :)
pbar

Post by pbar »

Lord Flasheart wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:39 pm All excellent programs from my growing up days :)

And still just as excellent :)
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

This picture took me right back to the 70s when I was a kid :cool:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer: