Who Remembers?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Who Remembers?

Post by pbar »

That's a brilliant post that is Paul, love the radio comment. Things were so exciting and vibrant then.Technology has given so much choice, options and ease, but it's so dull, boring and unfulfilling.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

My bike was the main thing, but always out and about with friends playing near the river, hide and seek, climbing trees (although not too well).

I'm sure I got bored, but thinking back I always had something to do and we made our own fun from playing garages with toy cars, marbles, colouring books etc.

It's all about screens now (even adults) and I'm certain many kids are less happy than we were :?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Paul G wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:18 pm my most prized posession aged 11 was a small, made in Hong Kong, transistor radio that I sneakily hid under my pillow and listened to Radio Luxembourg on when I should be getting to sleep.
I was exactly the same, 208, signal fading in and out - but it was fantastic!!! Completely agree with all you`ve said, and comments.
pbar

Post by pbar »

A couple of weeks ago I decided I'd like a small battery radio, what we used to call a transistor, for use in the garage. And, to my great delight and surprise you can still buy them, a local sell anything shop had them in, little dial wheel to tune it in and everything, love it, makes me want to go in there and get jobs done!
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

pbar wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:04 pm A couple of weeks ago I decided I'd like a small battery radio, what we used to call a transistor, for use in the garage. And, to my great delight and surprise you can still buy them, a local sell anything shop had them in, little dial wheel to tune it in and everything, love it, makes me want to go in there and get jobs done!
I love these little radios too Paul. Always more comfortable with the manual twist dials. I know where exactly where Five Live and Talksport are !!!!

Heres mine

I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
pbar

Post by pbar »

Great stuff Nick :) And isn't the sound great from these little fellas. I got his one -

pbar

Post by pbar »

When football matches were played by men who got stuck in and played with guts, no matter what the condition of the pitch was like. Proper football.

andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:08 pm When football matches were played by men who got stuck in and played with guts, no matter what the condition of the pitch was like. Proper football.

My Grandad was a keen footballer, and we often went to watch a local Sunday morning match. I was never that interested and still not to this day.

Imagine the current lot getting muddy or ruining their hairstyles and you wouldn't want to take the knee in that :lol:
pbar

Post by pbar »

Spot on Andy, you do talk a lot of sense, just the point I was making. And with all the attempted cheating and play acting (bizarre when the players know how many cameras are on them), and rolling around in agony yet jumping up and running around again seconds later, it's a wonder that anyone could actually watch this game with any kind of interest or passion anymore!
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:16 pm Spot on Andy, you do talk a lot of sense, just the point I was making. And with all the attempted cheating and play acting (bizarre when the players know how many cameras are on them), and rolling around in agony yet jumping up and running around again seconds later, it's a wonder that anyone could actually watch this game with any kind of interest or passion anymore!
Look at the way the English team removed their medals Sunday! Like a bunch of sulky kids and they were to blame no one else :x What will they do when they have a real problem to deal with? Entitled little sh*ts!

To be honest Paul, like many others I'm currenty completly fed up and disillusioned with the current state of this country!

Constantly pandering to the minority, everyones a victim, a man today a woman tomorrow and not sure the following day, too many people with no sense of humour or common sense, no respect or manners, offended by everything and basically spineless, anxiety is now a trend that many haven't a clue what it feels like for real.

If we had a war now we would be FUBAR! What happened to the great British spirit? It's being taken away slowly.

I read comments online from older people saying they are glad there lives are nearing an end as they remember the older times were more fun. That is sad to read but at my age I can see where they are coming from, the old rose tinted specs etc.

My grandchildren will grow up with this being the norm and hopefully they won't be too affected, but to me it's all getting sad to see :(
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

andyd wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:51 am a man today a woman tomorrow and not sure the following day,
I actually did laugh out loud at that, so thanks :lol: :lol: :lol:
You`re really going to like this story. A University in the States wanted a `no whites day`. A white professor complained that this was racist: the abuse he subsequently had to endure resulted in him losing his job. It`s been cancelled, but the fact it ever happened is a disgrace. Colour should just not be an issue: celebrating it just builds walls.
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/201 ... troversies
andyd

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:18 am
andyd wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:51 am a man today a woman tomorrow and not sure the following day,
I actually did laugh out loud at that, so thanks :lol: :lol: :lol:
You`re really going to like this story. A University in the States wanted a `no whites day`. A white professor complained that this was racist: the abuse he subsequently had to endure resulted in him losing his job. It`s been cancelled, but the fact it ever happened is a disgrace. Colour should just not be an issue: celebrating it just builds walls.
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/201 ... troversies
:doh:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Spent hours with one of these
s-l500.jpg
Simple times before everything came with a 13amp plug attatched :cheers:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Still never managed to do this:
Last edited by stevemarl on Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
andyd

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:48 am Still never managed too do this:
Ah yes, my patience hasn't improved with age so no chance of doing that :lol:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Best 14.52 minutes I've had for ages :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usxxj3Jrzv0

Those of us now in our 50s were so lucky to have grown up through the 70s, and thankfully we have things like this to keep the memories going. And reading the comments most agree we would all like to go back or for a little while at least :)

With strikes and powercuts etc probably not such a good time for our parents but hey ho :cheers:
80s-new-man
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.9 Cosworth Dec 1984, reg. Feb 1985
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9 1992
Jaguar XJR SC 4.0 2001

Post by 80s-new-man »

Yes… them all and more..😀
Cheers
:cheers:
Capri 2.9i Special 1984 Cossie 24v BOB heart transplant
Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Jaguar XJR 4.0 SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

andyd wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:51 am
pbar wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:16 pm Spot on Andy, you do talk a lot of sense, just the point I was making. And with all the attempted cheating and play acting (bizarre when the players know how many cameras are on them), and rolling around in agony yet jumping up and running around again seconds later, it's a wonder that anyone could actually watch this game with any kind of interest or passion anymore!
Look at the way the English team removed their medals Sunday! Like a bunch of sulky kids and they were to blame no one else :x What will they do when they have a real problem to deal with? Entitled little sh*ts!

To be honest Paul, like many others I'm currenty completly fed up and disillusioned with the current state of this country!

Constantly pandering to the minority, everyones a victim, a man today a woman tomorrow and not sure the following day, too many people with no sense of humour or common sense, no respect or manners, offended by everything and basically spineless, anxiety is now a trend that many haven't a clue what it feels like for real.

If we had a war now we would be FUBAR! What happened to the great British spirit? It's being taken away slowly.

I read comments online from older people saying they are glad there lives are nearing an end as they remember the older times were more fun. That is sad to read but at my age I can see where they are coming from, the old rose tinted specs etc.

My grandchildren will grow up with this being the norm and hopefully they won't be too affected, but to me it's all getting sad to see :(
Well said that man .
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

I'll second that :)

Excellent utbe link too, have shared that with many friends & family :D
pbar

Post by pbar »

Never happened to me as I was usually good at school, but I know some teachers could be a really good shot!