Outer sill replacement

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Outer sill replacement

Post by Mr B »

Hi everyone,

What should one roughly expect to pay for outer sill replacement these day's? Assuming the inner sill needs 3 or 4 minor repairs, painting not required - just in primer will be fine.

Thoughts please guys

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Outer sill replacement

Post by stevemarl »

The lack of replies would suggest that this is very, very difficult to estimate.
How far do you cut back to get good metal on the floor/inner sill? How much time do you spend fabricating repair patches for the same? Perhaps with pictures somebody may identify with it and have had similair work done?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Or even similar :doh:
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

You will be lucky to get even a ball park figure on these kind of jobs. Problem is until you are into the job you can only give an educated guess as to what you will find and in my experience there is usually far more that needs addressing before the new sills are fitted.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Yeah Wayne , you gotta be thinking "can of worms" if you dont want nasty surprizes . I know that as our cars are appreciating classics money spent doing (or getting done ) quality repairs is a good investment ( take pix ) even tho having to find money for non essentials can be a pain in the arse, 😆 at xmas just tell the kids there are no presents this year , instead they bought Daddy a pair of sills to preserve the integrity of their inheritance 😁
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Thanks for the replies gents, I knew the question was a bit of a stretch as there is no way to tell what's behind them, I'm in a difficult position really as the car on paper is nothing special, she's a 1.6 laser thats been converted to 3 litre with all associated running gear, interior is still laser.

Martin/Tickover etc. (Not putting words in their mouths) Would probably say cut your loses and they would be correct, a genuine Essex engined Capri is far more valuable but for me this car ain't about value, it's simply about her and preserving another Ford Capri, I'm not rolling in money but I can't just give up on her - she deserves better than that as she has been an excellent servant and partner in crime for over 17 year's.

I'm not sure who I'm trying convince now, you guy's or myself!

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Mc Tool wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:03 pm Yeah Wayne , you gotta be thinking "can of worms" if you dont want nasty surprizes . I know that as our cars are appreciating classics money spent doing (or getting done ) quality repairs is a good investment ( take pix ) even tho having to find money for non essentials can be a pain in the arse, 😆 at xmas just tell the kids there are no presents this year , instead they bought Daddy a pair of sills to preserve the integrity of their inheritance 😁

Love it :cool:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Mr B wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:58 pm nothing special, she's a 1.6 laser
Sounds special enough to me. You know, there is another way, buy the equipment, tools and materials, learn how to use them and do it yourself. Doesn't matter how long it takes does it? It's incredible just how cheap welding/repairs are when you are not paying labour.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Mr B wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:58 pm Thanks for the replies gents, I knew the question was a bit of a stretch as there is no way to tell what's behind them, I'm in a difficult position really as the car on paper is nothing special, she's a 1.6 laser thats been converted to 3 litre with all associated running gear, interior is still laser.

Martin/Tickover etc. (Not putting words in their mouths) Would probably say cut your loses and they would be correct, a genuine Essex engined Capri is far more valuable but for me this car ain't about value, it's simply about her and preserving another Ford Capri, I'm not rolling in money but I can't just give up on her - she deserves better than that as she has been an excellent servant and partner in crime for over 17 year's.

I'm not sure who I'm trying convince now, you guy's or myself!

Wayne
I wouldn't necessarily say cut your losses just look at the job objectively. Bear in mind that you will probably be uncovering many years of MOT pass bodges, all of which will need to be taken out and the job done properly. It won't be cheap but this kind of work is very labour intensive. If you are doing the work yourself then the hours spent don't matter but if on the other hand the work is done on a business footing then that's where the cost comes in.. What the car is isn't really an issue to me, it's a Capri at the end of the day and it's what you want so as I see it you have only two options, either do it or not. If the job is done correctly then the money invested isn't wasted. Don't make the mistake of thinking you'll just go out and find something better - if you are very lucky you might do but more likely you will spend a lot more than it would have cost to put your car right and there's every chance that you will be facing the same problems later on down the line.
Toecutter
Car(s): 1973 Mk1 (Facelift) Capri - 2.0 Pinto on Bike carbs

Post by Toecutter »

I don't think anyone would say cut your losses with it, especially after owning the car for so long, sill repairs are one of the most common repairs on old and even more modern cars due to rot etc, the full pre-fabricated steel sill sections can still be bought off the shelf for these cars if you can cut to clean, solid metal in the right place or anyone good at welding can just make up a section to suit as needed.

Unfortunately it is the kind of job that someone can not gauge right until they can inspect it and see how large/deep the repair work needs to be. I reckon a lot of us have started to go at structure/paint at some stage and wish we had not started when the holes keep getting bigger :D
If you are not too bothered about the cosmetics for the time being you can always start to strip it back at the sills to reveal the bare metal and either inspect it yourself or have it ready for someone to look at so they can price it up front.
Maybe a member on here can recommend a reliable person near your area that does bodywork.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

The devil you know is better than the one you dont
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Mc Tool wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:27 pm The devil you know is better than the one you dont
:agree: :agree: :agree:
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

As ever thanks for all the comments guys.

I suppose the thing that annoys me the most is that I've had this ole girl that long that I literally watched this happening from the start and took no action to prevent it from getting to this stage and I really should know better considering Capri's are the only car I've ever owned since I first passed my driving test 29 years ago.
To do this job right she will need sills, both rear wheel arches replaced and the lower rear quarters sections, I know it sound's a lot but once done she will almost be rust free, her floor is exemplary, inner sills look really good, classis rails, A-posts perfect, roof good, inner wings perfect, front panel not bad.

Martin, would you contemplate taking the job on?

Wayne