Window channel felt

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
scottchristian_
Car(s): 2.8 injection

Window channel felt

Post by scottchristian_ »

Hello all,
This is probably really stupid question but
The window channel felt on my 2.8i is really deteriorated and has fallen off , I've gone to change it so I've taken the door card off to get a better look and I cant see a way getting the felt in down the side of the window without taking the inner door skin off which isn't ideal , is it literally a case of slide it down till it reaches the bottom ?

Has anyone done this before and knows what they're doing ??
Thabks scott
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Window channel felt

Post by andyd »

When mine was damaged I wound down the window, eased trim from the recess cut off the damage and pulled the channel up about 2 inches side and top and pushed back into place. I'm sure it would pull out and slide back in with the window down, albeit probably not the correct procedure :?

:goodluck:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Not sure what you mean by inner door skin but the black frame that the felt is in un bolts and lifts out of the door when it's open or there is Andy's way. The felt runs to the bottom of the door so there is a little free to pull up.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

That felt is called a Bailey channel . I just took the glass right out to do mine , but I had become a bit of an expert at that 🙄 ,I dont think you have to remove it to do the job but it might be easier. Make sure the new channel is the correct length, my 2 channels were delivered in one piece so being a trustful dumb arse I chopped it in half and wound up with 2 bits each 4 inches short , so I had a bit of a bitch at the supplier who said they dont need to go right to the bottom , and to be fair they still work and never gave trouble . While your in there do give the door latches ,locks links and window mechanism (specially the track and rollers ) a squirt of your fave aerosol lube .
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Phew! When I read the title I thought you'd suffered some weird kind of molestation. :?