Tracker Locate

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Essexsoulboy
Car(s): Capri 280

Tracker Locate

Post by Essexsoulboy »

Hi just wondering if anyone on here has had a Tracker fitted on their car or have had something similar fitted they can recommend?

I had a Tracker fitted on my 280 way back in 1993 but need to upgrade it to something more advanced.Been having a good look at the market I really like the look of Tracker Locate.Not cheap but looks to be fairly comprehensive in its features, has anyone got one I wonder?

I found a company here https://www.trackerfit.co.uk/brands/tra ... ocate.html ......They charge £285 plus subscription but that's cheaper than buying it direct from Tracker which works out at £462...how come it's a lot cheaper is there a catch?

Thanks.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Re: Tracker Locate

Post by Major_Tom »

Box of 6 from Tesco, £2. Just sellotape em on.

I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Major_Tom wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:16 pm Box of 6 from Tesco, £2. Just sellotape em on.

You're nuts :wave:

Personally I would go for a visual deterrant like disklok and/or wheel clamp :cool:
Essexsoulboy

Post by Essexsoulboy »

Thanks very helpful
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Essexsoulboy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:33 pm Thanks very helpful
Sorry, this forum can be a nightmare, especially for the non residents.

I don't have much experience with trackers, but I was interested in the recent Aldi ones, it looked to be a very good piece of kit.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/streetwize-gps-v ... 4433277600

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=54433&p=388672&hil ... er#p388672
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Essexsoulboy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:45 am I found a company here https://www.trackerfit.co.uk/brands/tra ... ocate.html ......They charge £285 plus subscription but that's cheaper than buying it direct from Tracker which works out at £462...how come it's a lot cheaper is there a catch?
That company appears to have good reviews on Trustpilot, for what it's worth. You can sometimes judge the integrity of a company by how they respond to negative feedback. I feel they dealt with the issues raised on the latest Trustpilot review rather well.
It's not unusual for third party suppliers to be able to supply items cheaper than buying from the manufacturers themselves, I wouldn't think there's a catch.
There used to be a chap on this forum (cliff) who worked for Trackerfit, there might be some useful recommendations and advice in his posts:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=47954

Let us know how you get on, as I was contemplating buying a tracker myself.

Andrew.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

pbar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:01 pm
No adverts, no fees, no tracking cookies collating your details and tons of free information... hardly a "nightmare" is it :lol: :lol: :lol: replying with anything is often better than no reply at all, the guy gets a free bump to his topic if nothing else.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Major_Tom wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:38 pm
pbar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:01 pm
No adverts, no fees, no tracking cookies collating your details and tons of free information... hardly a "nightmare" is it :lol: :lol: :lol: replying with anything is often better than no reply at all, the guy gets a free bump to his topic if nothing else.
:sorry: to the OP for any offence caused by my comment!
But
1. I'm sure Major Tom would be the first to agree he is slightly nuts :D

2. Personally I would rather try and stop someone taking my car in the first place, rather than track it and get it back after it's been thrashed or smashed, in which case I would rather have the insurance money and move on.

:cheers:
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Major_Tom wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:38 pm

the guy gets a free bump to his topic if nothing else.
He got a free JOKE, and there's nothing happier than that.

But to be on-topic, the guy who did a bit of engine work on mine last autumn was all about those Aldi type trackers mentioned above. He said he has a couple with pay-as-you-go SIMs in them so that if he takes customers cars home as part of general test driving or assesments, or if they have to be parked in the yard if his unit is full, he slips a tracker under the seat for peace of mind. He reckons you can't be too careful if you are dealing with mostly classic stuff (like he does) and was very keen I should get one for myself.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Also tracker blocking technology is evolving faster than trackers. They're a total waste of money these days with Capris going for what they do.

They hire a brand new Sprinter on Monday with a good tracker fitted by the hire company, they stick a few hundred quids worth of blocker on it and leave it somewhere on Tuesday to make sure, then take it to the workshop on Wednesday, its in bits by Thursday and Friday and saturday, the shell crushed by sunday.

Don't bother. In fact, sellotape actual tracker bars on, they might fall off on the way to the chop shop like a trail of breadcrumbs.
Last edited by Major_Tom on Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Sobering.
This why you favour the 'not-worth-nicking' rustic look?
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Noel wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:35 pm Sobering.
This why you favour the 'not-worth-nicking' rustic look?
Partly, but mostly a poverty issue :lol:

Plus it wont run at the moment, anyone nicks mine I'd like to hire them as a mechanic.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

I dunno, a post-apocalyptic look is a refreshing change from toothbrushed concourse jobs.
A mint 280 and its ironed-jeans owner wouldn't have got in that music video would it?
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Noel wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:46 pm I dunno, a post-apocalyptic look is a refreshing change from toothbrushed concourse jobs.
A mint 280 and its ironed-jeans owner wouldn't have got in that music video would it?
True. And as some appreciating old geezer once said "they all used to look like that back in the day" :lol:
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:14 pm I'm sure Major Tom would be the first to agree he is slightly nuts
Well it is an explantion Andy, hehe. Hopefully it will appease Essexsoullboy and he will come back and let us know what he decided, I hope so, trackers are an interesting subject and I know that some on here would like more info on them. They've been talked about a lot.

I agree too, in that hardware security is very important, Disklok, wheel clamps, chains, another car parked in front, etc. All very important and a good deterrent.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Noel wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:25 pm But to be on-topic, the guy who did a bit of engine work on mine last autumn was all about those Aldi type trackers mentioned above
I've mentioned the aldi one a couple of times on here, and they do look good actually, but I don't have experience of them so that's good to know, that someone who uses them, rates them. Thanks for the info.
Essexsoulboy

Post by Essexsoulboy »

Thankyou for your replies,I think I will go with it, the company I mentioned did appear to have good reviews, for the sake of a few hundred quid I think it's worth it.

I do have a host of other security options on the car..alarm,deadlocks,disc lock,pedal lock,wheel clamps etc and its always in a roller shutting garage with another deadlock on it(and there's always a car in front).Just a bit paranoid if someone really wants to have a go at it at least if it has a Tracker on it it's another security device I can fall back on.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Great, thanks for coming back and mentioning what you're going for. It's an interesting subject talked about several times on here.

You certainly have a lot of security for your car, you sound well prepared. And of course the tracker Is especially useful when you're out and about in the car or if you have to leave it somewhere. And there's also car jacking which is a very real threat.