Essex V6 running temperature

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
capri3fan
Car(s): fiesta runabout, motorcyle for rush hour, looking for a 3.0 capri

Essex V6 running temperature

Post by capri3fan »

Can anyone tell me what the normal running temperature for the 3 litre Essex V6 engine is in degrees Celsius please?

I have after-market sensor and gauge in my car, so no red zone to guide me. I'm not a mechanic but believe may have thermostat problem as the top hose remains cold.

Manual says thermostat starts to open at 85 degrees with it fully open at 102 degrees. Does that mean it's ok for engine to be running at over 100 degrees C?

Many thanks.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Essex V6 running temperature

Post by stevemarl »

Not really sure, but as it`s pressurised it will stand a bit over 100`c without boiling, but that`s more an occasional, hot day, steep hill type of thing. I`d have said ideally about 90 - 95ish ? Thermostats are cheap, if you`re concerned just stick another one in.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Essex V6 running temperature

Post by Mc Tool »

Another valuable diagnostic tool ......thats fun to play with 😁is one of them digital laser thermometer things , and they are getting cheaper too . It would be ideal for t/stats as twould be easy to test temp either side of the stat without sticking your fingers in the fan ( that never happened to me 🙄) .
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh