40 Today - National Car Buying Day

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

40 Today - National Car Buying Day

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Well my car is finally at that age.

My 3.0S Janspeed Turbo was first registered on 11th of Feb 1981 although it was built 10th of January.

Am I right in thinking it won't need to be MOT"D now but will need to be taxed until January next year?

Strange thing is with that date it's previous owner and me both bought the car on that date (11/02) and historically I have bought five cars on that same date purely by chance. Its now known as car buying day so go out and buy buy buy! on my authority as this is NATIONAL CAR BUYING DAY - ITS OFFICIAL
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: 40 Today - National Car Buying Day

Post by stevemarl »

I think you still need to `tax` it after 40, it just becomes free of charge?.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

stevemarl wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:53 am I think you still need to `tax` it after 40, it just becomes free of charge?.
I also thought it was taken from the build date, not the registration date?
But that may have changed?
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=53883

Especially this comment from that thread;
by Arnoldhar » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:25 am
I went though all this last year so can tell you exactly how it happens. My car was registered 9th jan 79 so the dvla needed to have prove of the build date, they do not accept VIN details. I obtained a letter from Ford Uk direct stating the build date to be December 78, which of course matches the VIN tag which the DVLA duly accepted. The tax details where then up dated which you can see on line to show a manufacture date of December 78 with a registration date of January 79. However the tax free only comes in from April the 1st and not jan 1st.
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Ah okay so in essence I have to wait until April 1st?
The way I understood it was that because mine is built Jan 81 I could only apply for historic status or whhatever its classed as in the April if the car was built Before January 1st 1981 Ii.e. 1st of January 1980 upto 31st December 1980. Therefore I could only apply for mine to be reclassified as Historic next year so when it's gone past 10th January 2022, then apply on April 1st that year. I thought I had just missed out this April as the car was built in January, is that not the case?

I hope all of that makes sense.
Arnoldhar
Car(s): 2.0l mk3

Post by Arnoldhar »

As my car was Sorn at the time it didn’t matter I did all the comms with dvla prior to April 1st so the build date was 1978, just before April 1st I sent then the change in taxation class form, the on April the first when I went to the post office as if by magic an extra box appeared on there computer which allowed a zero rate, you can’t do it a day before to start on the 1st it has to be on the 1st or after to get the zero rate. Hope that helps