Esso Fuel - No Ethanol

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Bug
Car(s): Some

Esso Fuel - No Ethanol

Post by Bug »

Not tried it myself, but I'm told a lot of good things about Esso's new Fuel - Synergy Supreme + 99 RON.
For a starter it is apparently ethanol free.
It contains 'double detergent additives and a friction modifier'.
99 RON makes it a good match for the old Capri engines and it seems to be selling about a penny a litre cheaper than Shell VPower.

The big thing in all this is ethanol free! You'd have to do a lot of miles before the extra cost of it outweighed the cost of overhauling your fuel system that ethanol has degraded.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Esso Fuel - No Ethanol

Post by Jasonmarie »

That’s good I will look out for this . Nice find sir
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

I am sick of replacing the disintegrating little o rings on my 40s so will definitely seek out this "petrol" of which you speak 👍
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Vermilion
Car(s): Ford Capri MK1 Facelift 3000GT - Now 2.8 Turbo EFI

Post by Vermilion »

It is just a matter of using Viton-O-rings.
I am going with E85, running great so far for 3 years.
Totaly Supreme fuel compared to 98E5, since it same as 106 octane and burn colder, so allows more
exhaust flow, also you can get 2-3 ignition advance on full power. Only fault is that it won't work well in coldstarts.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Hello and I must say I read this and got excited.
Capri got used yesterday and as it was pretty much empty I thought I would take opportunity to brim it with this ethanol free stuff.

I noticed at the Esso station though that even the Supreme+99 has an "E5" sticker on the pump, suggesting it has Ethanol in it. I filled up anyway as it was empty but it got me wondering. I had a look on the Esso UK web page and found some useful info that I have pasted here:

"Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area, Scotland and NW England). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps."

So it IS ethanol free in most areas, but not 100% of everywhere.
Bug

Post by Bug »

Noel wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:03 am Hello and I must say I read this and got excited.
Capri got used yesterday and as it was pretty much empty I thought I would take opportunity to brim it with this ethanol free stuff.

I noticed at the Esso station though that even the Supreme+99 has an "E5" sticker on the pump, suggesting it has Ethanol in it. I filled up anyway as it was empty but it got me wondering. I had a look on the Esso UK web page and found some useful info that I have pasted here:

"Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area, Scotland and NW England). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps."

Excellent clarification. Thank you
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Noel wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:03 am Hello and I must say I read this and got excited.

That’s great news as I would have got to the pump and thought pants . Nice information
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Here's the full link to what Noel published on his post. Very interesting reading. I have a couple of local Esso stations that list as stocking this fuel so I will deffo give it a try.

https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol

I am just wondering though if there is any harm or indeed any need to add an additive to this fuel.?? I have always added Millers Oils VSPe Power Plus when I've topped up before even though I've had the unleaded head done. I now use Super Unleaded with a measure of VSPe as heard it helps keep the fuel lines in good condition too.

So just wondering what people advise if I start using this Synergy Supreme +99. Additive or no additive.??

Thanks
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Had new unleaded heads fitted to my 3.0 Essex last year & was advised by the supplying company to only use super unleaded & continue to use the additive, I have been using Castrol Valve master plus.

I am fortunate in that 20 miles from me there is a garage that still sells leaded fuel, for a price. In normal times I plan to use leaded 3-4 times a year along with the normal super unleaded plus additive for regular fill ups.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Lord Flasheart wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:45 pm Had new unleaded heads fitted to my 3.0 Essex last year & was advised by the supplying company to only use super unleaded & continue to use the additive, I have been using Castrol Valve master plus.
Thanks for that info mate. Really useful indeed. Cheers!
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
ollyw
Car(s): 1984 B Reg 2.8i rebored to 2922cc near concours condition. Restored from near scrap condition.
1983 A Reg 2.8i Caspian Blue over Silver. Ongoing now roadworthy project from scrap condition

Post by ollyw »

Am I right in thinking it’s mainly rubber fuel components ethanol attacks? Or does it do the nylon fuel lines as well?

Olly W
Vermilion

Post by Vermilion »

ollyw wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:51 am Am I right in thinking it’s mainly rubber fuel components ethanol attacks? Or does it do the nylon fuel lines as well?

Olly W
I changed my cars copper fuel lines to An-Teflon fuel lines when I noticed fuel lines were too small. Inside core is plastics, I think nylon works well with ethanol.

Ethanol, causes cracks and makes some low quality rubber qualities "dry". Almost all low quality rubbers works with minaral oils and gasolines because it slippery, (leaves grease when it vaporites). Thats is also reason all normal fuel pumps work with gasolines. When Ethanol evaporates it will make surface dry and that is reason some fuel pumps don't like it because it doesn't lubricate. But this is not problem with E15 and lower ethanol contect fuels. Ethanol also "eats away zinc and pure aluminum is not good either" The reason they anodize fittings. But some have run E85 fuel 10 years withouth problems with stock components, (OEM bosch -044 and Saab cars). Only worry is bad rubber hoses they might not even last 6 months. My dads stock Suzuki GS1000G fuel hose didn't even last 6 months wth 98E5 fuel. It was some retail shop cheap fuel hose. If you get fuel hoses better be safe and buy E85 fuel hose than that cheap one that might not even last really small quantities of ethanol.

Ethanol is good in a way too, it removes condensate water from gasoline. So small helps when there is maybe 5% it in mixed in gasoline. Especially in colder enviroments. But if you use E85 cold weather causes problems because Ethanol has property that is needs more heat to start burning, so good cold-start settings are pain in the ass to find. And the reason you need more ethanol to bring same mixture, 30% more ethanol than fuel.

"Ethanol is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water vapor directly from the atmosphere. Because absorbed water dilutes the fuel value of the ethanol and may cause phase separation of ethanol-gasoline blends (which causes engine stall), containers of ethanol fuels must be kept tightly sealed."

That is also the reason if you use E85 or E100 they suggest to use extra additive with fuel for fuel pumps and injectors. (if injectors are made for E85 no need for them, stainless steel inside pieces in injectors). Viton type o-rings work with all ethanol/metahol based fuels.

https://mykin.com/rubber-chemical-resistance-chart (check for rubber compability)

In my car E85 fuel gave me aprox. 20% more power than compared to 98E5 fuel. ( I found no pretty much no difference with 99+ maybe 1-2bhb)
Bug

Post by Bug »

Vermilion wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:39 am In my car E85 fuel gave me aprox. 20% more power than compared to 98E5 fuel. ( I found no pretty much no difference with 99+ maybe 1-2bhb)
Seriously? 20%?

Even in a stock 3 litre that's an additional 27.6bhp! Just from changing fuel?
If that is true, why does anyone bother to spend any money on engine upgrades?

Call me a cynic, but I would be taking that with 1/16 of a teaspoonful of NaCL. ;)
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Bug wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:50 am Call me a cynic, but I would be taking that with 1/16 of a teaspoonful of NaCL.
Martin,
Ethanol has a far lower calorific value than petrol:

A gallon of gasoline provides one-third more energy than a gallon of ethanol.
Blending ethanol and gasoline at a ratio of 85 percent to 15 percent (E85), the blended fuel is nearly thirty percent less powerful than pure gasoline.

I`m assuming you could get the same BHP , but it would have to be at the expense of reduced MPG? It`s just energy.
Bug

Post by Bug »

stevemarl wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:14 pm
Bug wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:50 am Call me a cynic, but I would be taking that with 1/16 of a teaspoonful of NaCL.
Martin,
Ethanol has a far lower calorific value than petrol:

A gallon of gasoline provides one-third more energy than a gallon of ethanol.
Blending ethanol and gasoline at a ratio of 85 percent to 15 percent (E85), the blended fuel is nearly thirty percent less powerful than pure gasoline.

I`m assuming you could get the same BHP , but it would have to be at the expense of reduced MPG? It`s just energy.
So you'd expect a decrease then, not a 20% increase?
Or am I getting it arse about face?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Bug wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:16 pm So you'd expect a decrease then, not a 20% increase?
Absolutely! Or same BHP but you`d have to use relatively more fuel to get it. There`s less energy in ethanol, can`t have it both ways.
Vermilion

Post by Vermilion »

30% more fuel for same power as before. But in my case since power rised then maybe +50% fuel consumption on peak power.

This one with E85
https://gyazo.com/3ba5afb1985d081ec17a2d017c08a305
( had problems with too small fuel lines ,too small oil breathing system and I had only 26m wastegate that peaked, so might have gotten a little bit more....)

This one is run with 98E5
https://gyazo.com/281880a7a067813edbcbefe04f1f9a6b

Both done on 4th gear. Been there and done that. Maybe next summer again to dyno to see differnce now that fuel line has been changed from 6mm copper line to AN-10 line, waste gate changed to Tial 44-mvr and breathing system capasity doubled.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Well I spoke with millers last year as they have been really good with information and I know they are selling a product but I remember back in the 80s when four star was stopped and super unleaded replacement for older cars what I have always used in the Capri and my head was also converted to unleaded. That higher the octane ie 99 makes the engine burn better and perform better , I did fill my old Capri a few times and she would pink under stress .
Yes for the miles I do I will stick with the Esso now or super unleaded and drop 50ml of millers in to my tank :cool:
Bug

Post by Bug »

Vermilion wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:46 pm 30% more fuel for same power as before. But in my case since power rised then maybe +50% fuel consumption on peak power.
Ah that makes more sense. Thank you.
Your initial statement seemed to read more power for same fuel.
Vermilion

Post by Vermilion »

Bug wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:59 am
Vermilion wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:46 pm 30% more fuel for same power as before. But in my case since power rised then maybe +50% fuel consumption on peak power.
Ah that makes more sense. Thank you.
Your initial statement seemed to read more power for same fuel.
Need to add that E85 has properties to clean engine, if you look under valve covers it also keeps engine pretty clean.
Though there is need to change oil often like every 5tkm/2 years. Must remind if you got engine with black sludge and you change to ethanol based fuel it might get sludge moving and block channel and cause engine failure. I am using Castol Super car 10W-60 oil in my 2.8V6 engine. (Used to use 5W-50 mobil peak life but had breathing problems with it and I am not using car in winter so 60 end works in summer.)