key fob not working

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Essexsoulboy
Car(s): Capri 280

key fob not working

Post by Essexsoulboy »

Hi people, just wondering if anybody can give me some advice on the alarm on my 280.

Many years ago it was fitted with a Foxguard alarm system, both of the original fobs(which I still have) gave up about 15 years ago so
I had to purchase a replacement from a company called Tech-Tronics.

Never had any problems with it, however the car has been laid up for a while with the battery disconnected and now
I can't seem to disarm it. The fob seems ok, just wondering if the fob may need re-programming for some reason.

I've had the battery off before for some time so I'm not sure why it's decided to give up now, Tech-Tronics seems to have disappeared now, there seems to be a few others companies about that offer replacement fobs, before I buy one thought I'd just ask to see if any anyone may have any ideas.

Many thanks in advance.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: key fob not working

Post by Jasonmarie »

My mate has a Fox guard on a 1996 Porsche 911 I know he had to sort his alarm out this year , I just emailed him and a company sorted him out with a cheap Fob also about the built in battery on the alarm system . He also has the system with a immobiliser .

Here’s the company
https://www.bridgwater-electronics.co.u ... uard-range

Hope this helps
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

I had a similar problem years ago. Didn't realise the alarm had it's own internal battery. That had gone flat.
I got away with reconnecting the battery and leaving it for a couple of days until it recharged the alarm one.
Not sure if that would work for you though?
Essexsoulboy

Post by Essexsoulboy »

Thanks for the replies guys, just emailed a very helpful chap at Bridgewater.

Funny thing is it could actually be my car battery. The car is not really used a lot so I have it left on a trickle charger. Never had any problems with that or my key fob until a month ago when I discovered the battery was dead. I had it tested and it was showing up as a 'bad cell' (my charger was showing the same).However the shop I brought from said it was ok and it was holding it's charge ok. I've put it back on the car and at the moment it seems to be fine. I'll have another look this afternoon but it seems strange that the key fob has only started playing up since the battery failed.
Essexsoulboy

Post by Essexsoulboy »

Finally sorted, have to recommend the guys at Bridgewater...really helpful.

One of the original Foxguard alarm fobs just needed cleaning up and a new power light installed.

The other Foxguard fob did actually work, the power light did not come on so I thought it was broken, pointed it at the car and hey presto!

The Techtronic one just needed a new battery, although the power light came on it the battery in it had insufficient power to turn the alarm off.

Thought I'd post just in case anyone else as similar problems in the future...Thanks guys.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Essexsoulboy wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:54 am Finally sorted, have to recommend the guys at Bridgewater...really helpful.

One of the original Foxguard alarm fobs just needed cleaning up and a new power light installed.

The other Foxguard fob did actually work, the power light did not come on so I thought it was broken, pointed it at the car and hey presto!

The Techtronic one just needed a new battery, although the power light came on it the battery in it had insufficient power to turn the alarm off.

Thought I'd post just in case anyone else as similar problems in the future...Thanks guys.
That’s great news , as I say they sorted my neighbours out really quick . Glad your fixed :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Good to hear you got it fixed & thanks for posting the outcome ;)