speedo cable lub

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

speedo cable lub

Post by stevemarl »

Hi,
just wondering if anyone knows (with absolute certainty) whether or not one can remove the inner speedo cable from gearbox end, clean, re-grease and slide straight back in? Not essential but if it will just go straght back, might as well - just DON`T want to end up removing dash :cry:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: speedo cable lub

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:22 pm Hi,
just wondering if anyone knows (with absolute certainty) whether or not one can remove the inner speedo cable from gearbox end, clean, re-grease and slide straight back in? Not essential but if it will just go straght back, might as well - just DON`T want to end up removing dash :cry:
Hi Steve,
I'll pop out to the garage now to check if the inner speedo cable pulls through from the gearbox end.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:22 pm just wondering if anyone knows (with absolute certainty) whether or not one can remove the inner speedo cable from gearbox end
No. The inner cable will only slide out from the speedo end. :sorry:

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Thanks Andrew,
Very kind of you to look! The V6 may be different in some way, as mine will definitely come out from the gearbox end - although it MAY only come out so far? I`ve only pulled it out a cm or so as I`m worried it may come out of speedo and not go back (I hate pulling the dash, there`s always some clip gets lost/broken) :? Does your speedo end have some kind of lip/disc to prevent the inner retracting?
Steve
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:22 pm Does your speedo end have some kind of lip/disc to prevent the inner retracting?
Yes it does, exactly that.
Burton power list a speedo cable as fitting all models except the 1.3, so I would assume mine and yours are the same.
Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Yep, cheers, thanks for that - so probably the small amount I`ve (timidly) pulled out of Gearbox end is just taking up some of the slack due to curvature in the cables routing. Thanks for that, one less job to do!!!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I'll take a photo tomorrow if you'd like?

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Andrew,
I`ll never say `no` to a picture - it`s always useful for reference? Although I can visualise it from the info you`ve given me.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Hi Steve,

Sadly the speedo cable will only come out from the speedo end even on the V6 models, I think its designed that way so that you don't accidentally pull the inner cable out of the speedo if removing the cable from the gearbox.

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Thanks Wayne,
that`s what I suspected, but it`s good to know for sure. There`s nothing wrong with cable, just thought if it was easily removed I`d clean and lube while I was down there. (I used to have a spare cable but can`t find it now :evil:)

" so that you don't accidentally pull the inner cable out of the speedo if removing the cable from the gearbox" It makes sense, that`s what I was afraid of.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

The crazy thing is that if you remove the speedo and the inner cable snags inside the drive it can pull the inner cable out of the gearbox end even with the outer cable casing still attached to the gearbox which unless your extremely lucky means jack the car up and reconnect the inner drive cable back into its drive on the box - pain in the backside...guess how I know.... :banghead:

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:16 pm I`ll never say `no` to a picture - it`s always useful for reference? Although I can visualise it from the info you`ve given me.
Here you go, Steve.

I hope that helps.

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Andrew,
thanks, that`s as I remember it, but it`s still useful to see how it goes together.
Mr B wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:54 am it can pull the inner cable out of the gearbox end even with the outer cable casing still attached to the gearbox which unless your extremely lucky means jack the car up and reconnect the inner drive cable back into its drive on the box
That`s what I was afraid of doing - but from the other end!