Speedo Cable

Capri Parts For Sale and Wanted
jonesdog84
Car(s): Capri Laser 2.0

Speedo Cable

Post by jonesdog84 »

Alright folks,

New to the world of Capri ownership and living the dream.
However one minor issue i have is that my speedo cable has gone, so have no idea how fast I'm going 🙃
My 2.0 laser has a 5 speed gearbox, going from the part number on the original cable I believe from a mk1 Sierra.
I tried a replacement cable from first line cables through Burtonpower.com but the end that fits into the gearbox was aluminium instead of the original tin and way to thick to fit.
I've been trawling the Internet to find a new or good condition original Ford cable but they are rare as rocking horse shit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Re: Speedo Cable

Post by Caprigear »

The ones listed on E Bay, Burton Power etc are all wrong. They are for the 3 litre /4 speed 2.8i. I'm pretty sure I have a used original cable at the workshop.
I am back in on Monday so I can confirm then.
jonesdog84

Post by jonesdog84 »

You sir, are a legend.

Thanks very much!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Caprigear wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:03 am he ones listed on E Bay, Burton Power etc are all wrong. They are for the 3 litre /4 speed 2.8i. I'm pretty sure I have a used original cable at the workshop.
I am back in on Monday so I can confirm then.
Thanks Martin - that explains a lot, I had a spare one and no way would it fit: now I know why!!
Seriously, if it wasn`t for people like you, Bug, et cetera. Your knowledge really is appreciated (by most people)
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Actually, that remins me.
Re. Burton Power, I appreciate they are a vital resource and so on, but the postage:

Small, light, low value (up to £20) items can be sent by 1st Class Post
Up to 1kg £3.96

Small, light and urgent items can be sent by Special Delivery Post
Up to 500g £9.50
500g-1000g £11.00
1kg-2kg £14.40

All orders under £150 can be sent by DHL courier service
Up to 3kg £6.95
3kg-20kg £8.50

I bought a paper gasket for top cover of gearbox(I could`ve made myself but it was late at night & I`d had enough)
At checkout, the only option was courier at £6.95, for an 8" x 5" paper gasket ??? As I say, I`d had enough and just wanted my bed so I just did it, but that IS a rip off, pure and simple.
(If it turns up in an envelope via Royal Mail, I shall be in touch with them. Still not been dispatched)
jonesdog84

Post by jonesdog84 »

Yea, their postage is a joke, as is their policy about adding items to an order before it is dispatched, so they can sting you for more postage.

I called them about the cable and they were like oh yea you will have to machine it down! Like I have a metal fabrication machine just lying around 🙄
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

So, `we`ve supplied the wrong part but you`ll have to fix it`. That`s atrocious!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Not to mention that Burton parts must be coated or made from gold as it's the only way I can see they justify what I feel are high prices! £24+postage for an oil spray bar is - in my eyes - daylight robbery
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

D366Y wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:03 pm Not to mention that Burton parts must be coated or made from gold as it's the only way I can see they justify what I feel are high prices! £24+postage for an oil spray bar is - in my eyes - daylight robbery

I do believe they charge them high prices as his little boy Tim Burton or shemmmmmmeeeee has to keep his toy cars in the pram .

Might sound harsh but I see this tim shout at little boy once because he wanted his picture taken with one of his cars , me being me I said to the dad of the little boy that sheeemmmmmeeemme wants a lesson in manners .

That’s my :banghead: rant for Sunday I am of to church now ( pants it’s shut ) I will phone my mother in law asking if she’s got PPI as it’s a weekly thing I do just to here her swear and put the phone down :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

To be fair to Burton, all orders over £150 are shipped free of charge.

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:58 am To be fair to Burton, all orders over £150 are shipped free of charge.

Andrew.
I should hope so for that much!

Hopefully I'll be able to buy a set of spark plugs for that much but I'm not holding my breath :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

stevemarl wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:33 am Actually, that remins me.
Re. Burton Power, I appreciate they are a vital resource and so on, but the postage:

Small, light, low value (up to £20) items can be sent by 1st Class Post
Up to 1kg £3.96

Small, light and urgent items can be sent by Special Delivery Post
Up to 500g £9.50
500g-1000g £11.00
1kg-2kg £14.40

All orders under £150 can be sent by DHL courier service
Up to 3kg £6.95
3kg-20kg £8.50

I bought a paper gasket for top cover of gearbox(I could`ve made myself but it was late at night & I`d had enough)
At checkout, the only option was courier at £6.95, for an 8" x 5" paper gasket ??? As I say, I`d had enough and just wanted my bed so I just did it, but that IS a rip off, pure and simple.
(If it turns up in an envelope via Royal Mail, I shall be in touch with them. Still not been dispatched)
I am increasingly finding the cost of carriage is getting ever more expensive. All my very small items go by Royal Mail recorded. Otherwise Parcel Force, Fedex or similar couriers. What I am struggling with now is shipping body panels, small stuff isn't an issue but wings, bonnets etc, there's no chance.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Caprigear wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:29 pm What I am struggling with now is shipping body panels, small stuff isn't an issue but wings, bonnets etc, there's no chance.

Have you tried this company Martin -

https://www.wheelcarrier.co.uk/acatalog/store.html
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

If allelse fails could you use the replacement inner cable in the old outer cable?
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

pbar wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:23 pm
Caprigear wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:29 pm What I am struggling with now is shipping body panels, small stuff isn't an issue but wings, bonnets etc, there's no chance.

Cheers for the link. I'll get in touch but I suspect they will volumise large panels which will take them over the 30 kg limit. With Fed ex if you go by volume a Capri wing comes out at 90 kgs!
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

jonesdog84 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:36 am You sir, are a legend.

Thanks very much!
I've checked and I do have a very good used cable which will fit.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Paul G wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:53 am If allelse fails could you use the replacement inner cable in the old outer cable?
If it`s the same as mine, it was the square end of the inner cable which wouldn`t fit in the drive spindle (although that could`ve been just mine that was crap.)
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Cut them into small pieces and advertise them as kits :)

You could even send them "free" with an incredibly expensive magazine, "build your own Capri bonnet worth £600!"
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
jonesdog84

Post by jonesdog84 »

Caprigear wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:33 pm
jonesdog84 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:36 am You sir, are a legend.

Thanks very much!
I've checked and I do have a very good used cable which will fit.
Hi mate, I've sent you a PM
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Caprigear wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:32 pm
pbar wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:23 pm

Cheers for the link. I'll get in touch but I suspect they will volumise large panels which will take them over the 30 kg limit. With Fed ex if you go by volume a Capri wing comes out at 90 kgs!

No problem, they are worth a try. It cost me around £15 (couple of years back) to have a driver's seat collected from someone on here and brought to me, from a couple of hundred miles away.