Sill Drain Holes

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Sill Drain Holes

Post by pbar »

Could someone please explain where the sill drain holes should be? Or show a pic. The Capri has sunroof plastic pipes which end inside the sill area, so rain is effectively poured into the sills (good idea!) which must then drain off somewhere. I know that some people extend the drain pipes so rain runs straight onto the tarmac which sounds better.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Sill Drain Holes

Post by stevemarl »

Paul, there are several drain points along the sill, D shaped pressings in the outer sill skin. If I put WD40/XCP down the sunroof drain pipes, these are the holes from which it emerges. (I know, it needs a clean :) )
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Great pic, explains it very clearly ;)
pbar

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:47 pm Paul, there are several drain points along the sill, D shaped pressings in the outer sill skin.
Thanks Steve, never knew those D shapes signified the holes, interesting info that.

You couldn't take it a step further could you please, and (probably easier to use a stock pic off the internet?), using a full side view of the car mark on the positions of the drain holes please.

It's info which I just can't seem to find anywhere.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Paul,
may not be able to get full side of my car as it`s in garage, but I can certainly do measurements later.

edit: drains marked in white
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks Steve, yes that's why I mentioned perhaps using a stock image off the internet, to mark them on.

Edit: You beat me to it, thanks Steve that's great :)
Last edited by pbar on Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
pbar

Post by pbar »

The very first hole, I assume that's like a 'double' hole then, it goes through the sill and also through the bottom of the wing? (As the wing flange overlaps the sill in that area)
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

I couldn`t honestly say Paul, I would assume so but you can`t really see? In fact, yes, looking again, the wing `overlays` the sill so it must.
Last edited by stevemarl on Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks Steve, I bet a lot of people inadvertently cover that one up when fitting pattern wings, assuming those don't come with a corresponding hole.

Seems such a strange idea to purposefully allow rain to enter the sills, it's a wonder that any of these cars are left!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

I agree, it can`t have been that difficult to simply extend the tube down through the sill. I think though that when new, the pipe does empty pretty much straight above the drain holes, so providing the inner surfaces have been treated (Ziebart/DiNitrol) and the drains kept clear, it`s not that big a problem (also when new the sunroof seals maybe kept out the bulk of the water, the drains just stopping the odd drip entering the cabin? It`s when the drain holes (which are only small ) get clogged, then the sills can fill with water which can`t drain out. How many people would have checked the drain holes were clear every service? Apart from me - after owning a VIva!
pbar

Post by pbar »

And I bet that loads of people who had their cars professionally (or diy) undersealed, had those holes clogged/filled up.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Oh absolutely! any kind of wax in the sills will clog the holes, which many wouldn`t even be aware of. You need to probe them afterwards to lear them. Again, how many did?
These were just everyday cars, no-one really thought of them as they do now, `icons of the `70s` etc, they weren`t really cared for, most were just owned for a couple of years then traded in: by the 6th owner it`s probably getting a bit, how can I put it.... you`ve seen the end of `Black Beauty? :cry:
pbar

Post by pbar »

You made me Google it -

After a traumatic downfall and coming close to death from overwork, Beauty at last finds a home in a beautiful spot with people who will care for him for the rest of his days.

Very apt!
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Regardless of the factory drains I drilled 8 mm holes directly under where all the sunroof pipes were so water would drain straight out. I also waxed inside the sills and after a few weeks I poked out the factory drains so they could flow if necessary.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Good idea Paul, and very wise too. I may just do something similar.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

You could test the sill drain holes by spraying WD40 into the drain holes in the sunroof surround. You should see the WD40 dripping out, if not, the holes or tubes may be blocked.

Andrew.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

You all seem to have missed the fact that Paul looked out his window at the crappy weather and thought, "I know, I'll get someone else to roll around under their car for me, while I sit in the dry with my laptop and a hot cup of cocoa."
:xd: :xd: :xd:
pbar

Post by pbar »

Bug wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:05 am You all seem to have missed the fact that Paul looked out his window at the crappy weather and thought, "I know, I'll get someone else to roll around under their car for me, while I sit in the dry with my laptop and a hot cup of cocoa."
:xd: :xd: :xd:

Martin that is totally untrue and I resent that - it was a latte :)
80s-new-man
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.9 Cosworth Dec 1984, reg. Feb 1985
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9 1992
Jaguar XJR SC 4.0 2001

Post by 80s-new-man »

It’s a great post.. Thanks for posting the exact whereabouts of these drain holes. I was shocked to see that only about 1 or 2 of mine actually were “ holes”…. As she’s probably had new sills in the past whoever welded them in had ignored them.
I ended up drilling 8mm holes direct into where they should have been!
I also saw that there were no drain holes in the backs of the wings - probably they’re pattern ones and didn’t look as though any were found. So I ended up just drilling the same 8mm holes in both sides directly…
Around each hole the metal had either started to rust or had distorted. So I wire brushed it and de rusted it, filled with chemical metal (moulded around a temporary piece of tubing if necessary) then painted with POR-15. Then just brush painted with her original colour.
Hopefully now I actually have some proper drain holes.
I’ll try the WD drain test soon, once fully set…
In the spring/summer I’ll have to spray into these sills again with waxoyl.
Cheers
:cheers:
Capri 2.9i Special 1984 Cossie 24v BOB heart transplant
Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Jaguar XJR 4.0 SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380
pbar

Post by pbar »

Pleased to see this thread being added to, it is a great thread, very helpful, Steve's (stevemarl) info and measurements will be helping people no end with this.