Which Wheeler Dealers Episode?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Which Wheeler Dealers Episode?

Post by pbar »

Please could someone identify a Wheeler Dealers episode for me. I cannot remember the car, but it involved Ed China repairing a windscreen scuttle area, which was heavily rusted/perforated, without adding a new piece of metal in, instead he just kept adding weld to the area, then when all ground down it was a perfect repair. I'd like to see it again but that's the only scene I can recall.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Which Wheeler Dealers Episode?

Post by Mc Tool »

Dont do it , the bit on the inside where you cant see will be a mass of porosity and there just aint a better rust trap. If you dont want to replace the panel you'd be better off using some reinforced bog ....like new tech
Screenshot_20201107-090604.png
I dont get that guy , doesn't clean anything ,fits new shiney bits using crappy old bolts , spends £££ refurbishing a set of wheels and fits them using rusty old wheel nuts.
I just been told he fixes cars like I do housework :lol:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thank you for your reply Hamish, it is a technique I've not seen before, and is intriguing, repair welding an area without adding new metal, like some sort of wizardry. Can't understand how it is achieveable as the thin/perforated areas would just blow through I would have thought.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

If your a bit handy with a mig welder you could probly weld 0.7mm steel sheet. My mig has a spot weld function, when you pull the trigger it gives a timed burst ,anything from about 1/2 a second to about 5 seconds and the idea is a well placed blob of weld , then another ...... Its best not to work on the same area continuosly to prevent heat build up warping panels so ya put blobs up and down the join untill all the blobs join up . If your filling a hole just go round and round the circumference till you get to the middle but you have to give the work time to cool between bursts (dont quench it ) so it can take a while . Exhaust tubing can be welded continuosly . The trick is to get all the adjustments right before you start and while migs can chew their way thru a bit of paint or rust the cleaner you can get the work the better ,specially with thin stuff. :)
Welding up rust holes is a real art and unless you have the knack you usually make things worse . Skuttle corners are a pain in the arse coz you really need to remove the guard to get at them so a lot get the blob job .Get a bit of strength into it by welding what you can then bog it up . This is always temporary as you cant get to the inside to rust proof the fizzed up metal and bog .
pbar

Post by pbar »

Nice tips there, thank you. You know, I always wondered about the inside of welds, although you can obviously protect the new metal beforehand, the actual weld will always be raw and unprotected.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

A sneaky trick if you cant get to the back of the weld ....like lower A pillar repairs . Drill a small hole about 2mm.dia directly above weld area and dribble a bit of fish oil or similar thru the holes , the stuff wicks out real well and the hole can be plugged with a small blob of sealer .
pbar

Post by pbar »

That's a great tip Hamish. And that old school experience of someone who's been there and done it all before, with knowledge shared like that, is this forum's pièce de résistance.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

pbar wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:49 pm Please could someone identify a Wheeler Dealers episode for me. I cannot remember the car, but it involved Ed China repairing a windscreen scuttle area, which was heavily rusted/perforated, without adding a new piece of metal in, instead he just kept adding weld to the area, then when all ground down it was a perfect repair. I'd like to see it again but that's the only scene I can recall.
I think it was an MX5 in one of the earlier series.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Noel wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:41 am
I think it was an MX5 in one of the earlier series.
Super, thank you Noel, that would be series 1, episode 17, I shall have a check on that.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

I have a weird recollection of him painting it with satin black paint.
It was one the kids were watching a few weeks ago on youtube or amazon or something. Be interesting to see if I was right!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Paul,
I meant to ask this before but how did you get e acute? Sometimes it`d be useful to get mu, omega etc?
pbar

Post by pbar »

Noel wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:13 pm I have a weird recollection of him painting it with satin black paint.
It was one the kids were watching a few weeks ago on youtube or amazon or something. Be interesting to see if I was right!

Yes, I think you were :) I watched it earlier. It's not quite what I thought, or not quite how I remember it (which is more likely), but yes, it was the welding techniques that I wanted to re-watch. Not satin black though, primed it first then blue (Marina Blue I think it was), spray can. Thanks again!
pbar

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:17 pm Paul,
I meant to ask this before but how did you get e acute? Sometimes it`d be useful to get mu, omega etc?

é é é é

There are various ways, dependant on keyboard, software being used, etc. But, to type the above I held down Alt and on the numeric keypad typed 1 3 0 then let go of the Alt. Simple as that :) Try it é

Or copy & paste one from the internet/elsewhere.

Was great to see you before Steve, good catch up.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Paul, if I ever need any welding... ;)
éâä+Ü OK, yes that works, never thought of using the numeric, thanks!
(mail sent)
pbar

Post by pbar »

You can do all sorts with it :) ▬ µ ¢ É Ö õ ╣ ← ø

(Mail already replied to)