Changed My Original Condenser!

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Changed My Original Condenser!

Post by D366Y »

Car was running a little rough so changed the points and they were really badly worn, still wasn't great, changed the condenser and it now runs much better, tried putting it back on so I could try and keep it but it wouldn't start at all once I refitted it.

Just a shame I had to change the condenser as I'm pretty sure it was an original part according to the part number - At least 39years old so has definitely done it's time
Attachments
IMAG0039-min.jpg
IMAG0037-min.jpg
IMAG0036-min.jpg
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Changed My Original Condenser!

Post by stevemarl »

Danny,
if you really, really, REALLY wanted to keep the original look, you `could` drill out the contents of the can and put a modern capacitor inside the case then reseal with resin or silicone potting compound. Quick look on Amazon, this one is 23mm long so would fit, but anything 0.22mfd (or 220nF) will do. (people do this when restoring vintage radios / HiFi etc.)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jellyfish-Audi ... 805&sr=8-9

Just a thought.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

I'll look into that a bit more once I've sorted a few more of the higher priority jobs - would be pretty sweet to keep it if I can.

I need to change the brushes on the old starter motor as well to try and save that!

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I bet the new one won't last as long as the old one did.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Hi Danny,

Does the condenser mount inside the distributor or on the outside? If it mounts on the inside I have loads of original Bosch items, I could send you one if need be.

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Paul G wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:35 pm I bet the new one won't last as long as the old one did.
Yes some of them are awful.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Paul G wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:35 pm I bet the new one won't last as long as the old one did.
I thought that as well, will have to pack a spare for when this one inevitably goes wrong!
Mr B wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:32 am Hi Danny,

Does the condenser mount inside the distributor or on the outside? If it mounts on the inside I have loads of original Bosch items, I could send you one if need be.

Wayne
Thanks Wayne, the silver bit attaches to the outside of the dizzy and the black cube screws into the bottom of the block which I'd never seen before. I'm not too worried about having an original one (but thanks for the offer) I was just surprised it had lasted so long to be honest!