Inner Wing Repair Panel

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Inner Wing Repair Panel

Post by pbar »

Anyone know if the often rotted area behind the front wing is available as an off the shelf repair panel? Looking at the side of the car it is the area behind the bottom corner of the wing.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Inner Wing Repair Panel

Post by stevemarl »

Paul,
the guy (again I`ve forgotten his name Sh something) up in the Orkneys or somewhere - he used to fabricate such panels. (Andrew usually pops up at this point with the name ;) )
Re. your previous question, I don`t recall the episode: It can be done it`s just a matter of a quick `dab`, let it cool, then another dab next to that, cool, repeat, like building a bridge out from the sound metal - but it is, as Hamish said, shit really. It`s not good practice, it`s the sort of thing you might do if you blow a small hole on edge of a new panel, just `cos you can`t be bothered sticking a bit of metal in the gap.? Surprised at Edd doing it on a scuttle TBH.
No pressure, & understand if not, but if you wanted a 2nd opinion we`d be quite happy to pop down?

edit,
thanks to PaulG:
Try Trevor Steadman (Steadspeeds) up in Orkney. This chap is a genius and hand-makes all sorts of repair sections. Telephone no is 07766-676379. He also has a facebook page if you're into all that.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Hi Steve :) Yes I have been in touch with Steadspeed already actually, he's getting back to me next week. Just wondered if the other usual outlets have them too, Capri Club/Tickover for example have many panel repair sections ready off the shelf for the common bits.

The dab/fill welding process, I have tried that in practice as I was curious, very easy to blow holes though. Looked easy when Ed did it, like everything on TV!

Will be in touch again shortly no doubt :)
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

pbar wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:03 am Anyone know if the often rotted area behind the front wing is available as an off the shelf repair panel? Looking at the side of the car it is the area behind the bottom corner of the wing.
Paul, do you mean the sill extension behind the lower rear of the wing? If so these repair sections are readily available as magnum and several other panel companies make them. They do need a lot of fettling to fit though and if badly fitted the wing will not be able to be attached at it's bottom.

Image[/img]
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks Paul, that's the area yes. I can see just what you mean about how the wing has to fit right, there's a bulbous area on this inner section that sort of meets the wing. Such a precarious area, can't imagine many cars haven't rotted there to some degree, you just can't tell as it's so hidden but receives all the road dirt and spray. The picture below shows it, this car belongs to the owner of this forum.

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:54 am Andrew usually pops up at this point with the name ;)
I was too slow this time ! :lol:

Good luck with obtaining a panel and the repair, Paul. :goodluck:

Andrew.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I have those panels on the shelf. They're slightly oversize so will require trimming to fit .
pbar

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:25 am
Good luck with obtaining a panel and the repair, Paul. :goodluck:
Thanks Andrew. Always somethng to do on these old cars eh? :)
pbar

Post by pbar »

Caprigear wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:48 am I have those panels on the shelf. They're slightly oversize so will require trimming to fit .
Thanks for letting me know Martin, I may well be in touch shortly. May have a go at making/adding the bits in myself first.