Engine noise

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Dallas
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser. MG TF 135 BRG. MG ZT 190 V6. Dacia Sandero Stepway.

Engine noise

Post by Dallas »

I have a high pitched noise that seems to be coming from front cambelt area, it sounds like a electrical dynamo sound, noise increases with revs.

The noise only starts when car has reached temperature.

I've taken of the fan belt and noise is still there, so that illuminates the fanbelt, fan, water pump and alternator.

The cambelt has been changed twice, also replaced the belt tensioner and cam seal.

I'm totally stumped.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Re: Engine noise

Post by Bug »

Did you replace the tensioner to eliminate the noise, or did it start after that?

Have you tried squirting a little bit of WD40 into the tensioner when it's running to see if it goes away?
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Doesn't seem to leave many options - front camshaft bearing?
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Dallas
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser. MG TF 135 BRG. MG ZT 190 V6. Dacia Sandero Stepway.

Post by Dallas »

Hi guys.

The noise started soon after having the first cambelt changed, the tensioner was not changed at this point.

It's now had another cambelt change and new tensioner and oil cam seal.

The noise it not always constant, doesn't happen when you first start the car. The noise creeps up after 5 minutes and then fades to nothing. The noise then comes back while driving, even at idle.

Sometimes I'm sure the noise is coming from the carburettor area, it's really odd.

Can oil pumps make an electrical whine/rubbing noise?
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Hi Dalas, you say,
The noise started soon after having the first cambelt changed, the tensioner was not changed at this point.
This makes me think that someone did the work for you.
Could it be that the belt tension is not correct?
Too tight maybe?

As things begin to get hot a tight belt could begin to stress other components e.g., the tensioner.

Regards,
Steve
Dallas

Post by Dallas »

STEVEW wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:34 pm Hi Dalas, you say,
This makes me think that someone did the work for you.
Could it be that the belt tension is not correct?
Too tight maybe?

As things begin to get hot a tight belt could begin to stress other components e.g., the tensioner.

Regards,
Steve
Correct Steve, I had the work done by someone else, two different people to be precise.

First guy changed just the cambelt, second guy changed cambelt, tensioner and cam seal, all done within 3 months of each other. I suppose having two different people doing the work, it's unlikely both would have tensioned the belt incorrectly, I hope not anyway. lol

It's strange, because the noise is not always present, for example I can drive from A to B with the noise, and then drive from B to A and have no noise. It's driving me mad. :banghead:
STEVEW
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Then one solution would be to drive only from B to A. :roll:

Seriously though, it doesn't rule out that both have used the wrong tension, does it?
I've just referred to copies of the :ford: workshop manual I have which gives a certain procedure,

'Slacken timing belt tensioner bolts so that it comes up against timing belt when engine is cranked over twice. After cranking engine torque timing belt tensioner bolts as specified in "Technical Data" '
All very fine, but there is no torque figures given in the "Technical Data" so I checked in a Capri manual which is similar to a Haynes - nothing about torque figues for the cambelt tensioner.

I then delved into a Haynes Manual for the Sierra. (Don't ask!)

Here I discovered that there are two different methods for tensioning the cam belt on the SOHC engine, which I presume is the same as fitted to the Capri i.e., the Pinto.

'On models up to mid-1985...' [the tensioning method is as above.].
On models from mid-1985 (without a tensioner spring), move the tensioner to tension the belt roughly and nip up the tensioner bolts. Using a socket on the crankshaft pulley bolt, turn the crankshaft through two complete revolutions in a clockwise direction (... No1 cylinder...TDC). then turn the crankshaft 60° anti-clockwise (No 1 cylinder at 60°BTDC:
The belt tension should now be checked by applying the Ford tension tool to the longest belt run.
Used belt - 4 to 5 / New belt 10 to 11.'

A rough check of the belt tension can be made by twisting the belt between finger and thumb on the longest run. Without too much pressure this would be 90°

In short, on earlier models the tension is done by the correct torque loading of the tensioner: on later models it's done by using a tensionometer or at least as a rough guide, by checking the 90°twist.

In other words, there's plenty of room for error if the people who did the work for you are not aware of the above differences.
Finally, if someone out there knows the Pinto engine well and spots errors that I've made I would be grateful for the criticism.

All the best,
Steve
Dallas

Post by Dallas »

Ok thanks Steve.

There's one thing for certain... it's getting blooming expensive. :roll:
STEVEW
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Dallas wrote,
There's one thing for certain... it's getting blooming expensive. :roll:
Not necessarily. If you don't know how to remove the cam belt cover yourself, try to find someone who could do it for you. It can't be that difficult.
Then, as a quick check give the belt a "twist check". If it's difficult to twist it through 90° on the longest run it's probably too tight.

After that you can decide on what to do next.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Could be the distributor ......try removing that and see if it still makes the noise.
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Mc Tool wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:49 am Could be the distributor ......try removing that and see if it still makes the noise.
I'm waiting for the result of this one :xd:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Bug wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:36 am
Mc Tool wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:49 am Could be the distributor ......try removing that and see if it still makes the noise.
I think removing the battery would yield a better result :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Water pump maybe ?
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

D366Y wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:49 am
Bug wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:36 am
I think removing the battery would yield a better result :lol:
Or your hearing aid
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh