The new alert system

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: The new alert system

Post by andyd »

Paul G wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:11 am I think that the most of it is spread by the younger people who frankly feel "entitled" and don't give a flying fuck about anyone else other than themselves and their own entertainment. By this I mean all of them crowded into pubs, bars and cafes and more sinister these illegal raves going on all night. Just look at that shower of shit in Bristol over the weekend - the police should have gone in heavy- handed and fined the lot of them.

Anyone arriving in Australia has to quarantine for two weeks. Upon arrival they are taken to a hotel of the government's choice and have to stay there at their own expense for two weeks before being allowed out into the country at large. The hotel bills can be as much as AUD $3000 (about £1800) per person. The UK authorites should do similar.

I also think they should close the airports completely for the period of the lockdown. Looking at Flightradar 24 it is quite alarming to see the number of flights still coming in from high covid countries such as most of Europe, USA, China, Africa and of course the Indian subcontinent. Are you going to tell me that all these people can be trusted to self - isolate for 2 weeks? If you believe that then you would believe in fairies at the bottom of the garden!

Test and trace. Surely with all the clever people there are in this country there is someone (not being paid £6K per day) who could oversee this being run properly and efficiently. Half of the testing centres are empty. WTF is going on? The current lot couldn't organise a bunk up in a brothel. Get the army in if necessary.

I don't fully blame Boris for all this. He came into office with all the Brexit stuff going on then the Covid sprang up. He was ill himself and I think he has been badly advised as there seem to be so many differing opinions on what to do.

Ho Hum. Rant over.
Can't really argue with that Paul!

Too many of the young age group are to blame, Bristol and recently Nottingham a prime example. Maybe some water canons would help before a fine/arrest is issued? But there are stupid people of all ages which isn't reassuring :roll:

Stay safe :cheers:
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

You can't blame people for not taking it seriously or for wondering if its true. I've said it before on here, the media got everyone worried about H5N1, SARS, Zika virus.... they all came to nothing. Now its the serious one is it? Its the boy who cried wolf. The people are right to be sceptical after years of being fed bullshit.

Then you have multiple MPs like Dominic Cummings flouting the rules.

So of course some members of the public are breaking the rules. Youre right to be angry, but be angry at the people who have helped break their trust and hence have no faith in 'doing the right thing'.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Major_Tom wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:55 pm You can't blame people for not taking it seriously or for wondering if its true. I've said it before on here, the media got everyone worried about H5N1, SARS, Zika virus.... they all came to nothing. Now its the serious one is it? Its the boy who cried wolf. The people are right to be sceptical after years of being fed bullshit.

Then you have multiple MPs like Dominic Cummings flouting the rules.

So of course some members of the public are breaking the rules. Youre right to be angry, but be angry at the people who have helped break their trust and hence have no faith in 'doing the right thing'.
:agree: MT, the government have been far from great with a lot of hypocrisy and have damaged trust, but we won't get out of it unless we all pull together.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Major_Tom wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:55 pm You can't blame people for not taking it seriously or for wondering if its true. I've said it before on here, the media got everyone worried about H5N1, SARS, Zika virus.... they all came to nothing. Now its the serious one is it? Its the boy who cried wolf. The people are right to be sceptical after years of being fed bullshit.
That could well have been true in the first few weeks or maybe a month, but this far into the pandemic it should be pretty clear to everybody that this a serious situation and not merely a false alarm.

Andrew.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:36 pm That could well have been true in the first few weeks or maybe a month, but this far into the pandemic it should be pretty clear to everybody that this a serious situation and not merely a false alarm.

Andrew.
Damage is done unfortunately. Earning back trust is not an easy process.

Plus there is compelling evidence that the testing methodology is flawed, many top scientists are saying the lockdown route is not the way to go, nobody in power seems to know what's best, so large numbers of people are going to be apathetic at best and some are outright rebelling. It's also symptomatic of larger discord in today's society too.

And we must remember that people don't like being told what to do. Its part of being human. We're here bemoaning folks for not wearing masks, but how many times have we broken the speed limit this year? Both technically could involve other people if our judgement is off, but here we are looking down on one misdemeanor while indulging in another. So don't be too eager to wish for tighter controls, same mindset wants to take our cars off us.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Paul G wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:11 am I think that the most of it is spread by the younger people who frankly feel "entitled" and don't give a flying fuck about anyone else other than themselves and their own entertainment. By this I mean all of them crowded into pubs, bars and cafes and more sinister these illegal raves going on all night. Just look at that shower of shit in Bristol over the weekend - the police should have gone in heavy- handed and fined the lot of them.

Anyone arriving in Australia has to quarantine for two weeks. Upon arrival they are taken to a hotel of the government's choice and have to stay there at their own expense for two weeks before being allowed out into the country at large. The hotel bills can be as much as AUD $3000 (about £1800) per person. The UK authorites should do similar.

I also think they should close the airports completely for the period of the lockdown. Looking at Flightradar 24 it is quite alarming to see the number of flights still coming in from high covid countries such as most of Europe, USA, China, Africa and of course the Indian subcontinent. Are you going to tell me that all these people can be trusted to self - isolate for 2 weeks? If you believe that then you would believe in fairies at the bottom of the garden!

Test and trace. Surely with all the clever people there are in this country there is someone (not being paid £6K per day) who could oversee this being run properly and efficiently. Half of the testing centres are empty. WTF is going on? The current lot couldn't organise a bunk up in a brothel. Get the army in if necessary.

I don't fully blame Boris for all this. He came into office with all the Brexit stuff going on then the Covid sprang up. He was ill himself and I think he has been badly advised as there seem to be so many differing opinions on what to do.

Ho Hum. Rant over.
Come the revolution Paul, you get my vote for president mate ;)
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Looks like Kent & London are going in to Def-Con 4 so here’s a picture of when you did get a day off .......

Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Jasonmarie wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:05 pm Looks like Kent & London are going in to Def-Con 4 so here’s a picture of when you did get a day off .......

So the only fool trying to drive a car is behind the wheel of a ....

Those were the days :lol:
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
andyd

Post by andyd »

Peter-S wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:07 pm
Jasonmarie wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:05 pm Looks like Kent & London are going in to Def-Con 4 so here’s a picture of when you did get a day off .......

So the only fool trying to drive a car is behind the wheel of a ....

Those were the days :lol:
They must have believed that the bag of cement in the boot would help :)
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Apart from the MK3 Cortina, the Capri is the least likely car you would want to drive on deep snow! Best car I ever had on snow was an Austin Maxi that I bought for £25 when my first Capri 2.0S was in being rebuilt after I crashed it. I nicknamed the Maxi the mountain goat as it would go anywhere and I'm talking about the heavy snow of early 1981 for those old enough to have remembered it.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Paul G wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:28 pm ! Best car I ever had on snow was an Austin Maxi that I bought for £25 when my first Capri 2.0S was in being rebuilt after I crashed it. I nicknamed the Maxi the mountain goat as it would go anywhere and I'm talking about the heavy snow of early 1981 for those old enough to have remembered it.
Forty or so years ago an Aunt who lived in an old farmhouse had a big New Years party and to save everyone coming blocking each other in suggested parking in a field off her driveway. It had rained and the field was up a bit of a slope so it became a bit slippy and my cousin and I tried to push the guests in to the field. Most drivers gave up but I remember an Austin Maxi getting in with no real trouble at all!
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I love that photo.
You have to admire the determination, or stupidity depending on your opinion, of that Capri driver! :)

Andrew.
Stish704
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special. Weekends only!
Sierra Sapphire- rolling restoration.
Vauxhall Movano- the company vehicle.
Vauxhall Mokka. The wife’s!

Post by Stish704 »

I can remember back in the day of my old mark 2, I was 19 so 1985?
Anyway, we did have snow that winter and took it down to gorrel tank, a big car park in Whitstable for those that know!
Had major fun doing donuts in the empty car park! Those where the days!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

So the French have closed The ports and tunnel and here’s the latest on the euro tunnel :lol:

Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer: