Windscreen Seal

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Windscreen Seal

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I hope everybody is keeping safe and well.

I know the subject of screen rubbers has been done to death on here, but is there any visual difference between the earlier screen rubbers and the later ones for the smaller screens? Is there any difference in the width of the rubber surround, for example?
The reason I'm asking is that I have managed to obtain a spare rubber for a smaller screen but I've only got the seller's word that it is what it is. I got it for a good price though, so I was willing to take the chance !

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Windscreen Seal

Post by Jasonmarie »

Looking in the book that come out last year I think anybody with out the pinto engine has the small rubber and us pinto boys use the big rubber :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Sorry could not help myself . Martin is the too dog here and I am sure it’s all down to the glass what rubber you use .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:12 am I am sure it’s all down to the glass what rubber you use .
Thanks for your reply Jason.
True, but how do you know that it's the correct rubber for that size of screen before attempting to fit it in the car?

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi Andrew.

Yes this really is one of those "Why, Mr Ford".????

As has been said on this topic before, I know the latter screens are slightly smaller hence a bigger seal, hence, in Mr Fords theory a better seal I think it's only a height difference of about 6mm so whether you would be able to tell by looking at them Andrew is doubtful mate.

All I would say and I don't want to spoil the party Andrew is a couple of guys on Facebook have bought 'latter' seals from a, seller on ebay advertising them as for the smaller screens only to find it not to be the case mate. I know a guy who sells new screens at a great price so I will have to find out if his screens are made up to the pattern size of the earlier or latter. If its earlier then the East Kent Trim seals will fit, if its latter then it's an issue as you know Andrew finding a proper correct latter seal is not that easy. I want a new screen at some stage and have an East Kent Seal on the shelf so if I can get an earlier screen I know this seal should fit. Other option is to get a latter screen and hope my original seal is an original and in reusable condition. Or just go to a screen supplier and hope they can supply both screen and seal but I recall Mark (brooky) tried this only to find when the fitter tried to fit the new screen/seal the seal was wrong so he reused Marks original one.!!!

Andrew I hope yours fits OK. I'm sure you'll keep us posted. If you've managed to remove your original one in good condition keep hold of it just in case mate

:goodluck:

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Thanks for you reply Nick.
Fordoholic Nick wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:40 pm All I would say and I don't want to spoil the party Andrew is a couple of guys on Facebook have bought 'latter' seals from a, seller on ebay advertising them as for the smaller screens only to find it not to be the case mate.
That's put my mind at rest, thanks...... :lol:
I'm assuming that the seals you refer to were new ones?
The one I bought was second hand, so it could well be a seal for the smaller screen.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with my current seal, I saw this one for sale at a good price and thought it would be suitable to keep as a spare. Either way, I'll definitely be careful when I need to remove the screen.
Fordoholic Nick wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:40 pm I want a new screen at some stage and have an East Kent Seal on the shelf so if I can get an earlier screen I know this seal should fit. Other option is to get a latter screen and hope my original seal is an original and in reusable condition.
:goodluck:
There is a dating guide for glass in the "Factory Original" book. That should tell you if your glass is pre '83 or whenever the changeover was.
It looks like the safest way for a replacement screen is to order the smaller size and then we know the East Kent seal will definitely fit.

Incidentally, there is a seller on Ebay selling the smaller size windscreen and they say that the height at it's max is 20.5 inches.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

So does that seal the Answer ? :lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:43 pm So does that seal the Answer ?
:lol: :doh: :D
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

I have had fitting issues too . Now that I have learnt about big screen small screen and the different seals . I have at the mo , a large screen and a small screen seal .....and it dont fit , no matter how many times the windscreen co guys tried , so I have a screen thats 1/2 out on one side . I have tried to get a large screen seal ( coz I cant get a small screen here .....all the experts here say there is was only one size and dont want to know if you try and tell them different ) but no one can confirm their seal is the skinny seal for the large screen ,so if any of you guys know someone who knows what they have Im all ears .
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
T.M.
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection (1984)

Post by T.M. »

Hi,
Motomobil have two different types of seal (and glass too of course) according to model year: 78-81 (glass max height 53cm) and 81-87 (glass max height 52.2cm).

https://www.motomobil.com/en/products?k ... seite_id=3

https://www.motomobil.com/en/products?k ... seite_id=1

So maybe? But I don´t have personal experience with these parts.

Tom
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

T.M. wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:04 am Hi,
Motomobil have two different types of seal (and glass too of course) according to model year: 78-81 (glass max height 53cm) and 81-87 (glass max height 52.2cm).

Tom
:doh: I even have their app on my main screen , thanks Tom
Need to open my eyes :lol:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

Mc Tool wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:19 am :doh: I even have their app on my main screen , thanks Tom
Need to open my eyes :lol:
Yes, it happens me too, maybe too often. What is clearly visible, isn't always clearly visible. :lol:

Tom
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Could it be because the later, larger screens were bonded rather than fitted in a seal ?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Not_Anumber wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:19 pm Could it be because the later, larger screens were bonded rather than fitted in a seal ?
Sorry Old Bean, but you are mistaken. All the front screens are fitted with a seal, it's the later rear screens that were bonded in.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

T.M. wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:04 am Hi,

Tom
Great info, Tom, thanks!
It looks like there is some hope, whichever size screen we have.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Out of interest, does anybody know when the bronze tinted screen was introduced in the Capri?
It's probably been mentioned on this forum or even in one of the reference books but, to be honest, I can't be bothered to research it right now. :)

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:25 pm Out of interest, does anybody know when the bronze tinted screen was introduced in the Capri?
It's probably been mentioned on this forum or even in one of the reference books but, to be honest, I can't be bothered to research it right now. :)

Andrew.
I did some research on the inter-web thing and found this .

The first instance of window tinting as we know it stems from America around the time of World War II and the years following. One of the more popular tinting manufacturers were EZ Eye factory tint. You could find this tint sometimes on the '40 Mercury Romango from Detroit, or later, the '58 Chevy Impala.

But with ref to the Capri a book come out last year that could hold this information .
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:23 pm Great info, Tom, thanks!
It looks like there is some hope, whichever size screen we have.

Andrew.
Hi Andrew,
yes, it looks good with seals now. ;-)
And screen range looks much more better too. No chance to order bronze (brown) tinted screen few years ago.

Tom