Fordaholic Nick....

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Fordaholic Nick....

Post by Major_Tom »

..hoping you can clarify something transport related. I've heard that the wheels on the bus go round and round. Is that true?
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Fordaholic Nick....

Post by D366Y »

I'd heard that the wipers go swish, swish, swish - is this also true?
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

There are just so many mysteries associated with these vehicles.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Major_Tom wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:39 pm ..hoping you can clarify something transport related. I've heard that the wheels on the bus go round and round. Is that true?
D366Y wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:08 pm I'd heard that the wipers go swish, swish, swish - is this also true?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep sure do

And the horn on the bus goes beep beep beep,

And the doors on the bus go open and shut,

And the driver on the bus says " You really think you're getting on my fucking bus without a pass. Fuck off!! What's that you said... No English... No understand... I'll say it again then... Fuck off.!!!" And put your face covering on !!! :wave: :lol:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Will the buses get armour when the war starts?
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Major_Tom wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:25 pm Will the buses get armour when the war starts?
Well Mr Tom, all the buses in London have"attack screens" which really fucking winds up the scum trying to batter it down to get to the driver :lol:

Oh and I have a, little torch too :wave:

But when the real war starts and the streets are full of anarchy and I need armoured protection to my bus I know who to call to "armour" it up with a few old metal bins and offcuts off mdf ....

Imageclay pot aquarium decorations
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:52 pm
Major_Tom wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:25 pm Will the buses get armour when the war starts?
Well Mr Tom, all the buses in London have"attack screens" which really fucking winds up the scum trying to batter it down to get to the driver :lol:
Were things better with both a conductor and a driver? Or is their removal merely a small part of a much more complicated question?
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

:lol:

Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:02 pm

And the driver on the bus says " You really think you're getting on my fucking bus without a pass. Fuck off!! What's that you said... No English... No understand... I'll say it again then... Fuck off.!!!" And put your face covering on !!! :wave: :lol:
Nothing like a bit of foresight ,shame the arse lickers cant see the forest for the trees
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Major_Tom wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:43 pm

Were things better with both a conductor and a driver? Or is their removal merely a small part of a much more complicated question?
Conductors were great on buses Tom and of course were needed back in the day of Routemaster buses. No two ways or about it. And because they generally got respected they did a brilliant and vital job keeping the buses moving and great interaction with passengers. Imagine this now.!!!!! The driver had the easy part tucked away in his cab but just the fact it was a two person crew there was backup, unlike today when we are out there on our own. Was very sad when conductors were proper fazed out with the driver only buses. Most became drivers themselves but heard that some could not make the grade at the wheel so had to leave the buses and go work in Woolworhs or Our Price :lol:

They tried bringing back conductors on the new Boris Routemasters and called them Customer Relations or something stupid but this did not last 5 mins so no conductors anywhere in London now. They kept a few of the old Routemaster buses on "tourist popular" routes down Oxford St for a bit but with accident claims we have now this was always going to get scrapped. I remember as a, lad chasing Routemasters down the road then barely grabbing the pole to pull myself up and at some pelt too :lol: only to be called an idiot by the conductor but it was the done thing and as said there was much more respect back then. Oh. and leapjng off was even more fun before the conductor could get you to stand back from the edge while the bus was moving .!!!!!!

Tom even if they brought back some form of conductor now who the fuck would want to do it with the nature of people today. Jesus the police ain't safe from attacks nowadays so what chance would a clippy have. Mate the amount of threats and abuse I get is staggering at times but I got the attack screen. And that's just the kids :lol: :lol: :lol:

So in answer to your question yes it was better with conductors but only because times were better then too mate.

All the best mate
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Mc Tool wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:09 pm

Nothing like a bit of foresight ,shame the arse lickers cant see the forest for the trees
:lol: :lol:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Well done Nick :cheers: You should get employee of the year :poke:
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

So? Are you saying that "To the Mayor of London and TFL, every fcuker matters!" :xd:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

andyd wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:36 am
Well done Nick :cheers: You should get employee of the year :poke:
Thanks Andy :wave: :)
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Bug wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:04 am So? Are you saying that "To the Mayor of London and TFL, every fcuker matters!" :xd:
:lol: :lol: :applaud:
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:53 am
Major_Tom wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:43 pm

Conductors were great on buses Tom and of course were needed back in the day of Routemaster buses. No two ways or about it. And because they generally got respected they did a brilliant and vital job keeping the buses moving and great interaction with passengers. Imagine this now.!!!!! The driver had the easy part tucked away in his cab but just the fact it was a two person crew there was backup, unlike today when we are out there on our own. Was very sad when conductors were proper fazed out with the driver only buses. Most became drivers themselves but heard that some could not make the grade at the wheel so had to leave the buses and go work in Woolworhs or Our Price :lol:

They tried bringing back conductors on the new Boris Routemasters and called them Customer Relations or something stupid but this did not last 5 mins so no conductors anywhere in London now. They kept a few of the old Routemaster buses on "tourist popular" routes down Oxford St for a bit but with accident claims we have now this was always going to get scrapped. I remember as a, lad chasing Routemasters down the road then barely grabbing the pole to pull myself up and at some pelt too :lol: only to be called an idiot by the conductor but it was the done thing and as said there was much more respect back then. Oh. and leapjng off was even more fun before the conductor could get you to stand back from the edge while the bus was moving .!!!!!!

Tom even if they brought back some form of conductor now who the fuck would want to do it with the nature of people today. Jesus the police ain't safe from attacks nowadays so what chance would a clippy have. Mate the amount of threats and abuse I get is staggering at times but I got the attack screen. And that's just the kids :lol: :lol: :lol:

So in answer to your question yes it was better with conductors but only because times were better then too mate.

All the best mate
Great answer that Nick, thanks, society is facing some great challenges.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Is Fordaholic Nick related to Fordoholic Nick on this forum? They both appear to have the same surname.... :lol:

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Nick,
that was my first `proper`job after leaving university in `77 (had enough of `school`, homework, exams) 20 y.o. TBH, the happiest workplace I`ve ever known!!! My only previous work experience was temp. from Alfred Marks - squatting on the floor of a mens toilet at a warehouse in Ancoats (Manctopia anyone?) scrubbing big plastic containers 1st with Vim then paraffin (no ppe, great for your skin!) Plus it was summer & the urinal was blocked, 4" deep in stinking golden piss! Couldn`t believe I got paid twice as much (GMT was still council owned then - so decent pay/conditions) for just wandering around a bus taking money off people. Little old ladies giving you a lovely smile and pushing a couple of sweets into your hand.... not to mention the young women! The 257 I`d have done for nowt!!! Anyway, my point is, I did 10 years, `77-`87 at Princess Rd in the middle of Moss Side, a depot with probably 3-400 vehicles, 90odd routes all over central/south Manchester: in all that time I remember ONE person being robbed. Assaults were unheard of, if an object was thrown at a bus, it was a major incident, the service would be stopped for the rest of the night. That only ever happened on one estate, maybe 3/4 times in total (some years ago Stagecoach Bolton were losing 10 windows A DAY in the school holidays - and that from a fleet of less than 100.) I even did all night buses (still 2 manned) picking up the clubs on Fri/Sat: OK you`d very often have to make a slight detour to Stretford Nick (no relation) & get the police to remove non-payers (who ALWAYS complied, never once fought the police) and I did have a few objects thrown - but I never felt in danger: people were drunk but they were not like drunks are now - but then drug use wasn`t anywhere near as endemic as now. It was kind of like `Heartbeat` compared to `Line of Duty`. Happy days. Very happy days.
ps, we only had a couple of old PD2s when I started, most of fleet were Atlanteans, but I DID get to spend a couple of summer evenings on the platform of a `back loader`,lovely standing there with the warm evening air blowing over you :-)
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:19 am Is Fordaholic Nick related to Fordoholic Nick on this forum? They both appear to have the same surname.... :lol:

Andrew.
A? :!:

O! :lol: