Peter, What is it with Deal...

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Peter, What is it with Deal...

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

So, Me and Siobhan are down here for a couple of days and today an almighty storm brew resulting in proper thunder, lightening, hail and rain... and all this just as we laid out a mat to sit on the shingle at sandwich end of the beach for some lunch !! We had to make a run for it to the car and have our lunch in there while the storm hit.!!! Every time I come to Deal it pisses down :lol:

But no did not have B112 this time :)

Peter we drove past Walmer Green on our way to see Siobhans sister and family and our usual pitch on the green was a bleedin quagmire.... It sent shivers down my back. Hope the weather is better next May :lol: :lol:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Peter, What is it with Deal...

Post by Peter-S »

So it was your fault Nick :o I had the 2.8 at work today, fortunately parked under cover, and when it was hammering down at one time this afternoon I was thinking I wouldn't be driving it home at 5 if it kept up. Helpfully it was just a light shower by then but it didn't occur to me to blame you :lol:
If you should get time for a cuppa let me know.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Peter-S wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:59 pm So it was your fault Nick :o I had the 2.8 at work today, fortunately parked under cover, and when it was hammering down at one time this afternoon I was thinking I wouldn't be driving it home at 5 if it kept up. Helpfully it was just a light shower by then but it didn't occur to me to blame you :lol:
If you should get time for a cuppa let me know.
:lol: :lol: Not guilty... Well... Sort of... :wave:

But yes I can see why you would not have wanted to set off for home during the peek of the storm. It was hard enough to see the road in my 2007 fiesta so god knows what it would have been like in a Capri :shock: :lol:

Mate it was a proper serious storm wasn't it. !! At one point we had an almighty bang right overhead the fiesta with one lightning/thunder blast. It must have been pretty dam close cause the fiesta rocked :lol: . Heard in the kent news on TV tonight that a house was struck by lightning in Deal.!! And a cloud funnel was seen off the beach at Deal too. The hail that followed was bleedin torrential. Thought the windscreen was gonna go at one point and almost dropped my chicken and bacon sandwich as we cowered in the fiesta :shock: We waited till it eased a tad then set off to Siobhans sisters up the road in Walmer but it came again so I had to pull over it was so bad. What is it with me trying to outrun the rain :lol: :lol: That's when we drove past Walmer Green and I seen the area where we would normally be parked up for the show :shock: :lol:

Peter we are heading back tomorrow morning as I'm working Sunday But thanks very much for the offer of a cuppa. I'll take you up on this another time for sure. This was just a brief two night stay in Siobhans sisters place. Got rained on yesterday too :cry: :lol: :lol:

Cheers mate

Nick
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Well Nick ,I can say the Capri wouldn't be your best bet in a downpour . When Dianne and I were moving camp from Nelson to Invercargill, Di in the Toyota ( the one we crashed ) and me in Capri , both cars loaded to the max ( one cat each .....I thought he would shut up after a bit but he howled the whole 900km's and is the only animal that has taken a shit in my Capri ....and survived )traveling down the west coast , anyhow the arse fell out of the sky, like I had driven under a waterfall , wipers going full speed, could hardly see past the bonnet ,Di had stopped , middle of the road , hazard lights on , no cell ph coverage . After 1/2 hour with no sign of it giving up I got out and talked to Di ,drenched in seconds we decided to press, on guided by the road marker posts as you couldn't actually see the road coz of the surface water . I wasn't actually aquaplaning but crapi had a sort of floating sensation as I drove the next 50 odd km's in 2nd/3rd gear. Awoke the next am in Wanaka (my parents live there )to find we had apparently just got thru Haast pass before a landslip that took months to clear. Cat was still pretty vocal . The noise tho ,rain , not the cat ( Biggles ) was unreal . Looking at both cars next day I couldn't believe nothing was broken .
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:35 am
It was hard enough to see the road in my 2007 fiesta so god knows what it would have been like in a Capri :shock: :lol:
It wasn't too bad, merrily overtook all the modern rubbish. Good old downpour wasnt it, heaviest rain I think I've driven in. I'd just relocated the coil so I could fit air filters too, so it was a relief to find out it was unaffected.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Major_Tom wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:11 pm. I'd just relocated the coil so I could fit air filters too, so it was a relief to find out it was unaffected.
Jeepers Tom, I think you might have more to worry about than your coil after your drive in that storm fella :shock: :lol: :lol:

Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

I think I can see the problem here.
No-one thinks to check Noel Edmonds new weather broadcast on ITV.

Then you'd know if it was 'Deal, or no Deal' :xd:
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:46 pm Jeepers Tom, I think you might have more to worry about than your coil after your drive in that storm
Did that ever get restored? I remember the wheels were still turning when the dragged it out!
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Major_Tom wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:57 pm
Did that ever get restored? I remember the wheels were still turning when the dragged it out!

Hey Tom.

I been doing some digging on fb and a guy actually emailed the Nottingham Police couple of yrs back to ask the very same question as you and he actually got a, reply, although he said it took them about a year to get back to him :lol: He sent me a copy of the email which is more about the freedom of info act but the answer to the question in hand after all this time was very short... "scrapped" !!!!

Here's a photo of the very sad looking Capri in the yard with a copy of the email the police sent him in reply. As said mostly legal stuff but the one word answer to the said question is quite blunt !!! .

We were talking on fb and saying how it was a, shame it was not preserved in its 'found' state as a, museum display or some form of modern art in someone's garden/grounds rather than be scrapped. :cry:

So a very sad ending to this story mate.

All the best Tom

Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Lucky to get an answer at all ,the privacy act here prevents me finding out from police what happened to the truckie who initiated my crash and then buggered off before the plods got there .
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Mc Tool wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:31 am Lucky to get an answer at all ,the privacy act here prevents me finding out from police what happened to the truckie who initiated my crash and then buggered off before the plods got there .
Utter madness Hamish !! Not you mate :lol:

Surely you of all people being the victim should have at the very least the right to know what happened to the guy who bleedin caused your accident !!! Madness!!

Surely in many cases this info might give the victim some sort of closure on a serious accident that has caused no end of stress both physically and mentally
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

I was actually held responsible for running up the arse of tother car and got a written warning for "careless use of a motor vehicle " which was really a bit of a slap on the hand with a wet bus ticket as they ( the cops ) did accept that the left foot accelerator was a factor in my part, as I wasn't following to close ,just hit the wrong pedal , but here the cops like to pin the blame on as many peeps as possible. Bit lucky really .....considering my history :xd:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Mc Tool wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:45 am I was actually held responsible for running up the arse of tother car and got a written warning for "careless use of a motor vehicle " which was really a bit of a slap on the hand with a wet bus ticket as they ( the cops ) did accept that the left foot accelerator was a factor in my part, as I wasn't following to close ,just hit the wrong pedal , but here the cops like to pin the blame on as many peeps as possible. Bit lucky really .....considering my history :xd:
Jeepers when it rains it pours eh Hamish old chap :lol:

But crikey o'reilly its lucky that you still here with us to have an 'active' history still with all your 'happenings' :lol: :lol:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Mc Tool wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:45 am I was actually held responsible for running up the arse of tother car and got a written warning for "careless use of a motor vehicle " which was really a bit of a slap on the hand with a wet bus ticket as they ( the cops ) did accept that the left foot accelerator was a factor in my part, as I wasn't following to close ,just hit the wrong pedal , but here the cops like to pin the blame on as many peeps as possible. Bit lucky really .....considering my history :xd:
I watched the NZ TV series "Motorway Patrol" and it seems to me that all the NZ police are interested in is fining people even for minor offences. Over here the motorway speed limit is 70 mph (112 clicks) but they usually won't bother you unless you are over 85 -90 mph (137 - 145 km) The only exception seems to be road works where they often put average speed cameras and only a little bit over and it's trouble. Rightly so with men working just beside the traffic.

You mentioned in a previous post about Wanaka, Haast pass and Nelson. All bring back happy memories of my trip all around NZ back in 2001 and I really hope to re-visit some time.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Paul G wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:57 am
You mentioned in a previous post about Wanaka, Haast pass and Nelson. All bring back happy memories of my trip all around NZ back in 2001 and I really hope to re-visit some time.
The closest I've come to visiting NZ is watching The All Black's perform The Hakka on ITV... :lol: :lol:

https://youtu.be/p_kMCFVCFDc

I would love to visit NZ one day and it will be very kind of Hamish to let us stay with them full board with use of the Capri as a runaround. Nothing like inviting yourself to a party :wave: :lol: :lol:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:02 am
Paul G wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:57 am
The closest I've come to visiting NZ is watching The All Black's perform The Hakka on ITV... :lol: :lol:

https://youtu.be/p_kMCFVCFDc

I would love to visit NZ one day and it will be very kind of Hamish to let us stay with them full board with use of the Capri as a runaround. Nothing like inviting yourself to a party :wave: :lol: :lol:
Is that a club holiday ? More the merrier :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

The traffic police are largely revenue collectors . They keep banging on about speed kills and the bullshit .....they say things like " 80% of accidents involve speed " .....well unless you can crash a car whilst parked yeah they do involve speed . Now they want to have a zero tolerance to speeding .....like if your 1km/h over you get ticketed ,and in the next breath acknowledge cars may have speedo errors of 10% . The thing I dont get is that they focus heavily on the road toll climbing but dont seem to see that whatever they are doing isn't working. The roads here are shit quality ,gravel ,potholes mud and cow shit are common ,as are poor design . We have "black spots" where abnormal amounts of crashes happen because of poor design ,road camber alters 1/2 way round a turn , or 3 apexes or a series of twisties where any mis-judgment of the 1st bend is exasipated by the next and worse as the twists follow untill your so out of shape you run out of your lane ....throw in a bit of over correction and ...bang . Rather than fix the problem they put up a sign ( just when you dont need any distraction )warning you of the impending doom ,thus absolving them of any blame . All new zealand motorists pay a levy for roading ,reality is that a massive percentage of that is spent in Auckland coz the jafa's think the world revolves round them (jafa.......just another fucking aucklander ) when its really the arsehole of NZ . The cops you see on tv are way nicer than the typical nz road cop ,gotta say tho I have met some good uns too ,specially local country cops . It has often been said the police are the biggest gang in NZ and if you want to be fitted up for a rape or murder you didnt commit ....step right up