Car Shows Return

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Car Shows Return

Post by pbar »

I see that the car shows are returning, I'm going to one this weekend. So it is looking promising, I know many on here love the shows and are fed up with the lack of them, so hopefully you can all get back to it soon :)
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Car Shows Return

Post by andyd »

Nice one Paul, hope you have a good day.

All ours have been cancelled even into mid/late September :( I'm sure many could go ahead with the distancing measures etc we are all aware of, but certain the organisers are afraid of any comeback from those with no common sense :roll:

If it was classic owners only that would be good, but without the income from the public would it be worth it :headscratch:

Mine is SORN now, too many wet days this time of year to plan much :?

:cheers:
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks Andy. This particular show is one you have to pay for, I don't normally go to these much but with the drought we have had this year I was exited enough to pay and go! Booking in advance only due to the track and trace things in place at the moment, including the public, it is a two day show but one day is 'sold out', meaning it has reached it's limit as per government guidelines I expect.

But still, it's a day out, a car show, and I intend to enjoy.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:10 pm Thanks Andy. This particular show is one you have to pay for, I don't normally go to these much but with the drought we have had this year I was exited enough to pay and go! Booking in advance only due to the track and trace things in place at the moment, including the public, it is a two day show but one day is 'sold out', meaning it has reached it's limit as per government guidelines I expect.

But still, it's a day out, a car show, and I intend to enjoy.
90% of our shows we now have to pay for in advance. Without the public (who often pay less than the exhibitors) I suppose the revenue would be too low to make these events worth doing.

Hope it's dry for you all :cheers:
pbar

Post by pbar »

I rarely pay to go to a show, maybe it's a North/South thing. You can keep it to the South if you don't mind :)
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:32 pm I rarely pay to go to a show, maybe it's a North/South thing. You can keep it to the South if you don't mind :)
:wave:
Sadly if I don't pay I don't go, so not much choice really :) Or if I do pay and don't go due to rain that's even worse :roll:
Stish704
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special. Weekends only!
Sierra Sapphire- rolling restoration.
Vauxhall Movano- the company vehicle.
Vauxhall Mokka. The wife’s!

Post by Stish704 »

I’ve got a couple of shows coming up, ford fest at brands hatch and oh so retro.
One thing that always bugs me, why should we have to pay to display our cars?
I know this argument has been going on a while but can never understand it.
Without our cars there isn’t a show!
I don’t know. Anyway, it’s always good to catch up with old friends.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Really glad some shows are planned. Nothing doing here, hope you enjoy them. Please post the odd picture if you can :cheers:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Enjoy the show , seems funny I have not been to any this year , I don’t think my car would have done a few 100 miles since Brooklands last year :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Stish704 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:05 am I’ve got a couple of shows coming up, ford fest at brands hatch and oh so retro.
One thing that always bugs me, why should we have to pay to display our cars?
I know this argument has been going on a while but can never understand it.
Without our cars there isn’t a show!
I don’t know. Anyway, it’s always good to catch up with old friends.
:agree: No cars no show, so as owners we shouldn't have to pay but I would happily put some money in a charity box.
Most shows I attend are at least £5 in advance so it gets a bit pricey for the average show season.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Any pictures from the show Paul?

Was it Oulton Park? Saw some Capris there on Facebook page :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:50 am Most shows I attend are at least £5 in advance so it gets a bit pricey for the average show season.
The organisers should bear in mind that it actually costs money for exhibitors to go to shows. It can get quite pricey if you have to drive a fair distance to get to a show, then you might have to buy refreshments there, and goodness knows whatever else. In the future, the CCI Nationals are probably the only show I'll pay to exhibit at, if there are any others that charge I'll just go as a visitor instead.

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:06 pm if there are any others that charge I'll just go as a visitor instead.
Andrew.
That can be much more expensive though. For instance, for the show which inspired this thread the cost for a visitor was I think £8.50 each for an adult, lesser amount for kids, so that's quite an amount if there is a couple of you, especially if you pay to park too. But, to show a car it was £4.50 for a car of up to two adults and two kids.

So it makes sense to go in a classic and 'park' it up on the show field and enjoy your day.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:10 am
Andrew 2.8i wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:06 pm if there are any others that charge I'll just go as a visitor instead.
Andrew.
That can be much more expensive though. For instance, for the show which inspired this thread the cost for a visitor was I think £8.50 each for an adult, lesser amount for kids, so that's quite an amount if there is a couple of you, especially if you pay to park too. But, to show a car it was £4.50 for a car of up to two adults and two kids.

So it makes sense to go in a classic and 'park' it up on the show field and enjoy your day.
That's how it should be, those bringing the vehicles to view shouldn't have to pay more. Some shows the visitors get in for half what we pay :?
pbar

Post by pbar »

I guess that the organisers would argue that they don't get enough revenue from the public to cover the costs of the show, and that if they didn't charge exhibitors then the shows would stop.

Paying for shows is an unusual thing for me as I said before, it does seem to happen to the shows in the South of the country more.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Try being a trader at shows! with the exception of John at CCI who has always been very fair with trade pitch prices without exception all of the others, Ford Fair, Fast For, NEC etc all charge astronomical pitch fees which is why I no longer trade there.