Master cylinder reservoir

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Master cylinder reservoir

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Had a refurbished Brake master cylinder fitted 2 years ago and it’s recently developed a leak on both reservoir seals. Have replaced seals & reservoir, does anyone know if this is how it should look as there’s a small gap between reservoir & seal. No amount of pressure seems to close the gap, just checking if this is normal as don’t want to damage it.
Thanks, Rob
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Master cylinder reservoir

Post by pbar »

Is that the 'correct' reservoir Rob, I thought the 2.8 one should look like this, for sale at the Capri Club -

Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

pbar wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:05 am Is that the 'correct' reservoir Rob, I thought the 2.8 one should look like this, for sale at the Capri Club -
Hi Paul, yes all correct, bought it from Martin at Caprigear. May be the angle I took picture. Wanted to get the gap in view.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Okey doke Rob, yes I did think it may just be the angle, a bit like one of those 'what is it' pics, taken at unusual close up angles :) Hope you get it sorted soon.
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Hi Rob

I’ve just checked our car (2.3S): the seals are flush. Although our master cylinder is not quite the same as yours I would think that the seals should sit without a gap.
Having said that, could it be you have an air lock in the system preventing full insertion of the reservoir?
My suggestion: lightly lubricate the seals with brake fluid and “crack” the brake lines open around the differential valve and try again.

All the best

Edited to add: I've just seen a seal kit advertised on Ebay which includes a sachet of, "Frentec Braking" red rubber grease so I guess this is the right stuff or something similar, to lubricate the seals before fitting.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

That set up looks fine to me . The thing seals on the spigots on the bottom of the resiviour .....not on the flat surfaces of the rubber seal and the bottom of the resiviour. :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

pbar wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:15 am Hope you get it sorted soon.
Cheers Paul, looks like all is ok.
STEVEW wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:28 am I’ve just checked our car (2.3S): the seals are flush.
My suggestion: lightly lubricate the seals with brake fluid
Thanks for checking Steve, I know different engines have different cylinders, some flush reservoirs & some not :headscratch: . Did use brake fluid to help fitting & that's as close as I could get it, no leak now so hopefully sorted.
Mc Tool wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:21 am That set up looks fine to me . The thing seals on the spigots on the bottom of the resiviour .....not on the flat surfaces of the rubber seal and the bottom of the resiviour. :)
Thought as much, thanks Hamish. Checked recess in seal before fitting, just wanted to check before driving as brakes can be quite handy :cheers:
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Thanks for the feedback Rob.
I'm pleased you seem to be sorted.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Mc Tool wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:21 am That set up looks fine to me . The thing seals on the spigots on the bottom of the resiviour .....not on the flat surfaces of the rubber seal and the bottom of the resiviour. :)
Thought as much, thanks Hamish. Checked recess in seal before fitting, just wanted to check before driving as brakes can be quite handy :cheers:
[/quote]

Hamish doesn't really use brakes :lol:
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Peter-S wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:40 pm Hamish doesn't really use brakes :lol:
I know Peter, I've seen the pictures ;)

Good luck with getting it sorted Hamish.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Peter-S wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:40 pm Hamish doesn't really use brakes :lol:
I was waiting for that :xd:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh