Car smells rich on idle.

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Allan mcl
Car(s): Capri mk3 1600 laser,jaguar c.f., daily,Morris minor rarely, mini cooper.

Car smells rich on idle.

Post by Allan mcl »

Hi all,
On tick over car smells rich but runs fine plugs look good colour after a run.1600 on a weber 32/36 any ideas.
Thanks in advance.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Car smells rich on idle.

Post by D366Y »

Not sure what you've had a look at already but this link may help?

viewtopic.php?t=45173
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Sounds like the float has fuel in it . Plastic ones do it , I bought a brass float coz at least its repairable . I high float level can be seen sometimes , mine was flooding so bad that at idle I could see fuel in the main air correctors while idling. I only twigged coz while dissassembling carb the plastic float just seemed to heavy. Engine started real good from cold and real bad from hot ( black smoke ) but it ran ok and didnt eat fuel
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Allan mcl wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:57 pm On tick over car smells rich
Do you know what the CO figure was on the last MOT? Sometimes they give you the printout sheet. It is obviously within tolerance or you wouldn't have passed, but will be interesting to know if it's on the high side.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Wish I could work out how to be both idle and rich at the same time :xd:
Allan mcl
Car(s): Capri mk3 1600 laser,jaguar c.f., daily,Morris minor rarely, mini cooper.

Post by Allan mcl »

If I remember correctly it was 1.9
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I think the spec. is 1.5% plus or minus 0.05, so you are a little high. Might be worth turning in the mixture screw a quarter of a turn and see how life is then. Don't know if it will make much difference to your issue but I always think it's best to have as much as you can correct.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Is the 32/36 still jetted for a 2.0 engine?
Allan mcl

Post by Allan mcl »

I haven't changed the jets myself so I think so.
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

Bug wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:31 am Is the 32/36 still jetted for a 2.0 engine?
Are we gonna debate this again? We'll have to do "back pressure" next.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

340truck wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:48 pm We'll have to do "back pressure" next.
Not without Rich, that was his speciality :lol:
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Allan mcl

Post by Allan mcl »

Could anyone tell me what the correct size idle jets I would need for weber 32/36 for a 1600, I believe mine is still jetted for 2.0l tried to turn mixture screw down but doesn't run wright.
Thanks in advance.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Dude , you need to verify the float level before you start changing things like jets.
A few years ago I had all the jets and air correctors out and they got mixed up, so I went thru all the manuals I had for cars with the weber carb and pinto motor and no two lot of specs were the same so you need the correct combination of jets/correctors. Not answering to the idle screw is indicative of high float level (my car would still idle with the mixture screw screwed right in ), and incorrect valve clearances can have a surprising negative effect too(just going thru all the stuff I learnt before I found the faulty float). How I eventually twigged was parking the car facing up a steep hill at Joe's house ( by doing so the carb is tilted back and as the fuel bowl is ahead of the venturies it causes the fuel level to slosh up the back wall of the float bowl far enough to be higher than the air correctors and fuel flows out of them . This would not happen if the float level was correct )I could only just keep it running, when I looked down the carb I could see fuel welling up out of the main air correctors and pouring down both venturies, . Possibly if you run the front wheels of your car up some ramps ( or jack it up ) and see if it gets worse. Some weber 32/36 's have an anti stall circuit fitted which enriches the idle mix if manifold vacuum drops to low ,if the diaphram is holed this can cause issues too.
Dont get disheartened.....coz when you get it sorted you will be happier :)
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Bug wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:14 am Wish I could work out how to be both idle and rich at the same time :xd:
I smelled Rich a few times.. he didn't take kindly to it to be honest.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Major_Tom wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:31 pm
Bug wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:14 am Wish I could work out how to be both idle and rich at the same time :xd:
I smelled Rich a few times.. he didn't take kindly to it to be honest.
Did your call smell Rich too? Mine did and he got even shirtier about he whole thing
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

D366Y wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:58 pm
Did your call smell Rich too? Mine did and he got even shirtier about he whole thing
Have you gone mad sir? What is the meaning of this curiously structured sentence?
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

Allan mcl wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:18 pm Could anyone tell me what the correct size idle jets I would need for weber 32/36 for a 1600, I believe mine is still jetted for 2.0l tried to turn mixture screw down but doesn't run wright.
Thanks in advance.
Screwing the idle mixture screw will not change the way the car drives. It will only change mixture at idle....it does exactly what it says and only that. Also, a 1600 pinto with a 2ltr 32/36 carb will run and drive excellently without messing with the jets. That's a fact, many people including me have done it. If you want the car running absolutely perfect with a 2ltr carb then you must go to a rolling road and have the jets sorted there (and pay for it). Anyone who says put such and such a jet in to sort it is talking rubbish.

The procedure for sorting idle mixture is on here many times...do a search. But remember, it's pointless until the ignition system is in tip top condition including timing.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Here's a thought . The secondary barrel has an idle circuit ( just to keep fuel moving as sometimes the secondary doesn't get used for a while ) and there is a throttle stop screw accessed from under the carb base ( carb off job to adjust ) if this is out of adjustment it will cause idle issues
IMG_20200802_072229.jpg
These are old publications now but still a good read , the come up on ebay or amazon every now and then.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Mc Tool wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:25 pm Here's a thought . The secondary barrel has an idle circuit ( just to keep fuel moving as sometimes the secondary doesn't get used for a while ) and there is a throttle stop screw accessed from under the carb base ( carb off job to adjust ) if this is out of adjustment it will cause idle issues
IMG_20200802_072229.jpg
These are old publications now but still a good read , the come up on ebay or amazon every now and then.
You know what MC you might have a point here, I had exactly what you're describing on a 390 Holley, I couldn't get the idle speed down and I had to richen the mixture much more than it should need just to get the engine to idle, turns out the secondary throttle blade's were open slightly allowing extra air into the engine which was being compensated for with the extra rich mixture hence it absolutely stunk on idle, took the carb off, closed the secondary blades, I then had to weaken the mixture as now it was way too rich, lesson learned!

I realize the Holley is a different animal to a Weber but even so...

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Ha , :) that's what made me think of it , I too have a 390 holley and it too has an idle circuit on the secondaries, I think from memory that the secondary throttle plate opening is set with a 10 thou feeler gauge down the bore between the plate and throttle bore wall .