Questions about 15" wheels.

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Re: Questions about 15" wheels.

Post by Arya2.0S »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:09 am
Arya2.0S wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:44 pm What do you guys recommend to use on the new alloys to protect the shiny bits?
This is very good stuff. Apply 2/3 coats for extra protection. It's a great barrier against brake dust.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004ZLAMEY/ ... iFbHMVZ5KY
Thanks!
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:09 am
This is very good stuff. Apply 2/3 coats for extra protection. It's a great barrier against brake dust.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004ZLAMEY/ ... iFbHMVZ5KY
Whaaaat, I've just been painstakingly cleaning the brake dust off with wet and dry for bloody years! Didn't know this stuff existed!
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

you can actually get disc pads that don't dirty up the wheels .... for street cars :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Major_Tom wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:07 am
Whaaaat, I've just been painstakingly cleaning the brake dust off with wet and dry for bloody years! Didn't know this stuff existed!
:lol: :lol: Jeepers Tom. Where you been fella... Well maybe no need to answer this mate :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom if you really ain't heard of poorboys it is actually very good stuff fella. Unlike other waxes etc, this one they actually say the more costs the better :lol: ... so I tend to use a tub per wheel :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah seriously I put on at least a couple of coats that does the trick. But I have to say your wet and dry method seems to do the trick for yours mate and prob a darn sight easier and shit loads more 'manly' than applying a pink wax to your wheels :lol:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Something like this Nick? :lol:
Screenshot_20200802-102226.png
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Here's a short video of me cleaning the inside of my front wheels with a dry paper towel. I had driven 2000 miles since the Poorboy's had been applied and the inside of the wheels had not been cleaned since.
Does Poorboy's World sealant really work?

Cleaning the wheels is as easy as that! :D

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:31 pm
Here's a short video of me cleaning the inside of my front wheels with a dry paper towel. I had driven 2000 miles since the Poorboy's had been applied and the inside of the wheels had not been cleaned since.
Does Poorboy's World sealant really work?
Hi Andrew,

Hope you are well mate :)

This is a great video that shows just how good poorboys really is. Funny as other week I had my wheels off to clean them and applied a few coats of poorboys to the rear of the wheels before fitting back on, so its great to see by your excellent video how it really does protect the wheel and forms that barrier that they say it does. I have seen how good it is at protecting the front of the alloys but the rear really does get a hammering of brake dust so to see it just wipe of leaving a nice clean alloy underneath is brilliant. I been using this sealant for years on all 3 sets of 4-spokes I have had and always been mighty impressed by the stuff.

Very helpful little video Andrew.

All the best mate

Nick
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Andrew, Nick
Re. the Poorboys, just wondering how long this treatment lasts / how often you need to repeat the treatmrent? (I`ve been using Autoglym`s Wheel Protector for a few years, as it`s an aerosol it`s much easier to apply to the 4 spokes. Trouble is, if you touch the surface (near valve for eg) and damage the coating, the dirt which IS repelled everywhere else seems to then `focus` on that area so you get black marks. Wondering if the Poorboys is more `robust`?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:30 am Re. the Poorboys, just wondering how long this treatment lasts / how often you need to repeat the treatmrent?
Hi Steve,
It's difficult to give a definitive answer as that probably depends on many factors. As an indication, my Capri does around 2,000 miles a year and I've found that the Poorboys is still effective a year after application. It could well be going strong a year after that, but I reapply it every year anyway.
I have found that Autoglym products are usually very good at what they do, however, perhaps in this case the aerosol application doesn't provide a protective layer thick enough to have reasonable longevity?
I hope that helps.

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Andrew,
that`s very helpful, I do a similar mileage and re-treat the wheels every winter when it`s SORNed. The Autoglym works well but does seem to be a bit `delicate` and any areas that have been touched act as a focus for all the brake dust to concentrate. I`ll get some Poorboys while the wheels are off and try that.
Thanks!
Steve
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Don't think you'll go wrong with the Poorboys.
I use it on the alloys on my Z4 and the wife's too. I put two layers on, while the wheels were off for other jobs.
My one sits in a garage through the winter unless there's a sunny day and not too much salt about, but wifey's lives under a car port and is used regularly all year round.
About every second wash I clean the wheels with Bilt Hamber wheel cleaner (the stuff that turns purple). Been doing this since I applied the Poorboys last March and the wheels still look as good as they did then.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Bug wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:48 pm Bilt Hamber wheel cleaner (the stuff that turns purple)
I use it once a year to give a thorough clean, brilliant stuff - but Christ, the smell!!! And you can`t get rid of it!
Bug wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:48 pm Been doing this since I applied the Poorboys last March and the wheels still look as good as they did then.
Thanks for the recommendation, I`ve just ordered some.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Hi Steve,

Sorry mate only just seen your thread re poorboys. As the guys have already said it's brilliant stuff and a good application will last you a year. Great thing about this is the more coats the better protection. Unlike other waxes they actually recommend a few coats so I apply three good coats to mine. I take the wheels off as less back breaking as we know how tricky four spokes can be to apply into all the crevices.

You won't be disappointed Steve and I really rather like the smell but it is one of those marmite things :lol:

All the best mate

Nick
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:30 pm I really rather like the smell but it is one of those marmite things
Yeah, it`s a warm, predominantly floral bouquet with, I`d say, nuanced damp oak leaves and just a hint of Andalucean raspberry?
Not like Bilt Hamber!
Mine arrived this evening so I`ll do the wheels tomorrow. Can`t wait: that`s what lockdown does to you :lol:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

stevemarl wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:30 pm it`s a warm, predominantly floral bouquet with, I`d say, nuanced damp oak leaves and just a hint of Andalucean raspberry?
Ermm think you are on the wrong forum Steve... think it's these guys you want... :lol: :lol: :lol:

stevemarl wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:30 pm Mine arrived this evening so I`ll do the wheels tomorrow. Can`t wait: that`s what lockdown does to you :lol:
Nice one Steve. ! Have fun mate !! As said it's great stuff. Let us know how you get on with it. I'm getting excited for you too... :wave: :lol: :lol: :lol:
PaulCalf
Car(s): Capri 1984 2.8i

Post by PaulCalf »

I've got 13 pepperpots on mine - but has anyone ever seen 15inc pepperpots that look like the original wolfrace sonics? I would love the bigger and wider tire but have never seen a wheel that i liked very much - except possibly an anthracite minilite. I do think the pepperpots make the car to some extent - i love the period look of them but just wish i could get more rubber on the road.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

PaulCalf wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:00 am I've got 13 pepperpots on mine
Bloody hell - most people manage with 4!
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:30 am
There are some greedy people around :poke: :lol:

19" Go big or go home :D
NSR (2).jpg
PaulCalf
Car(s): Capri 1984 2.8i

Post by PaulCalf »

stevemarl wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:30 am
I'm stockpiling for the zombie apocalypse! :axe:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

The way things are going who can blame you! :)