V6 Type 5 gearbox differences

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Stefan Capri
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri S 2.9 EFI

V6 Type 5 gearbox differences

Post by Stefan Capri »

long time no speak, hope everyone's good!

Straight in with the problem! Ha

Beginning of the year my dad got himself a 3000gxl it was winter so it got recovered straight home and not driven until it
Dried up a little outside, previous chap who owned it said he had had the gearbox rebuilt.. but the clutch haddent been replaced?! Anyway, so I'm in the middle of putting a clutch in it and looks like the input shafts been replaced. But the gearbox is horrible, sloppy and worn out.

Anyway I've got another type 5 from a 2.8, now obviously the bellhousing is different but i always thought the input shafts are the same (because the clutch is the same kit), isnt it the 4pots that have a shorter input shaft?

Anyway without thinking or checking that I've spent hours tonight trying to get it to fit. Not a chance, needs to close up another half inch.

I've checked the 2 shafts and the 3.0 one is a inch shorter than the 2.8 one.

Is this correct, does anyone have any measurements of a 3.0 type 5 that hasn't been messed around with?

Thanks in advance!
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Re: V6 Type 5 gearbox differences

Post by Mr B »

Hi Stefan,

I have done this conversion a couple of times and to quote from Kim Henson's book "assuming the use of the Granada bell housing part No 72EF7505LA the gearbox first motion shaft will now be 17.5mm too long" and will need to have this amount cut/ground off to make it all work.

One point of note, the input shaft of the type 9 taper's outwards as it goes into the box, which means if it isn't ground down whenever the box is removed in the future it pulls the spigot bearing out the back of the crankshaft which then means you can't pull the gearbox out - you have to undo the pressure plate bolt's with the gearbox just hanging there - eventually the whole lot falls out, gearbox, pressure plate, clutch plate and spigot bearing, me and Gus from Tickovers discovered this issue after myself and customers of theirs had the same issue.

Having done this conversion I will say from my own experience and I do mean my experience (before I get hated on) that it isn't worth it unless the car is be driven long distances on regular basis, the type 9 box is utterly inferior to the type 5 box and is no where near as strong as the type 5, I've currently got this conversion in a GXL and I regret ever removing the type 5 and will be putting it back asap.

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Stefan Capri

Post by Stefan Capri »

Thanks for your reply, I think I may have mixed up what I was saying.

I'm swapping like for like type 5 4speed gearboxes

This one is a mk1 that appears to have a new input shaft in it but is so sloppy

The one in trying to put in is a mk3 2.8 4 speed type 5, but the input shaft appears too long.

But your measurement seams about right, I'm thinking needs trimming down, just wanted some opinions first.

Thanks
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Hi Stefan,

My bad, I misread your post, if you using a type 5 from a 2.8 you will either need to trim down the input shaft as it's too long or replace it with the input shaft from the 3 litre type 5 but of course this means stripping the gearbox apart.

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Stefan Capri

Post by Stefan Capri »

So for future knowledge because I couldn't find it written on the net anywhere..

The input shaft on the 2.8 and the 3.0 are different, the 3.0 is about an inch longer.

You cannot cut the extra off because the spines protrude too far, I know because I've tried it!

As I have had to is strip both boxes and swap the input shafts over. Not actually a bad job.