SGS Engineering

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
aikmanmosquito
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser, a few other cars that aren't Capris

SGS Engineering

Post by aikmanmosquito »

I apologise if this isn't the place to ask this, however has anyone had any experience with tools from SGS Engineering in derby? I'm looking to purchase one of their Hydraulic Presses and before I dive in I'd rather know if their stuff is any good, have looked at both Clarke and Sealey, but have read many reviews stating that most of their stuff is now Chinese made and not as good as it used to be!!
Bug
Car(s): Some

Re: SGS Engineering

Post by Bug »

I have one of their low reach trolley jacks. They were recommended to me by the Z4 Forum where many people use them.
I have found them to be a high quality and would have no hesitation in recommending them to you.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

aikmanmosquito wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:10 pm I apologise if this isn't the place to ask this, however has anyone had any experience with tools from SGS Engineering in derby? I'm looking to purchase one of their Hydraulic Presses and before I dive in I'd rather know if their stuff is any good, have looked at both Clarke and Sealey, but have read many reviews stating that most of their stuff is now Chinese made and not as good as it used to be!!
I haven't had any experience with their presses specifically, although I have bought various other tools from SGS. I have bought an engine crane, engine stand, trolley jack, axle stands, compressor and compressor tools from them and have had no major issues with anything. Their customer service is very good too. I was sent a faulty airline hose for the compressor, I phoned them up and they sent me a replacement hose free of charge with no quibbles.

I hope that helps,
Andrew.
aikmanmosquito

Post by aikmanmosquito »

Cheers, thank you. Their presses look fine and come with a 10 year guarantee, which is far more than either Sealey or Clarke offer.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

I've had engine stands, engine crane and Axle stands from SGS Engineering, top company, quality products and good value for money.

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I've got a compressor from them and it's been excellent but the free extras they gave at the time such as a spray gun and tyre inflator were crap.
aikmanmosquito

Post by aikmanmosquito »

Just to add to this post. Placed an order with SGS for their press, only to be told later in the day that they don't accept large payments over the phone from anyone in Scotland and that they were cancelling the order!!! This was after they accepted my payment and still haven't refunded me!!! I will let you all decide whether you buy anything from them, but in all my years of ordering goods online i have never come across such a mickey mouse organisation,
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I did enquire about an out of stock generator a while ago. Was told when it would be back in stock, but it never did. They gave another date, and again it didn't appear. This happened a few times, I just gave up with them in the end.

I have read about their poor customer care on other sites, but of course people only post/complain when something goes wrong so you don't hear about the good things usually.

I know that many people seem happy with the company, but that was my not so good experience with them, so far.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

They regassed my tailgate struts about 5 years ago, really good/quick service back then!
aikmanmosquito

Post by aikmanmosquito »

Well I'm back looking for recommendations for a good reliable, well built hydraulic press if anyone has got any experience of any
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Although I haven't bought that particular item, my experiences with this company have been good and they have a range of presses -

https://www.clampcouk.co.uk/
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

How handy are you ?
DSC02812.JPG

I made this press out of a 20 ton bottle jack , 2 tractor 3 point linkage pins and the steel channel . Bottle jack needs a couple of simple mods to work upside down . the whole lot cost less than a cheap 5 ton press.
DSC02777.JPG
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Bug

Post by Bug »

To be fair, my recommendation of SGS was based on the quality of the product.
I ordered, it turned up, it is well made and it works.
So I have no real experience of the people behind the goods.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

I guess that's the down side of internet buying , sometimes the human touch ( not rolf harris or Jimmy saville type) makes the sale more informative and you get a better idea who your dealing with.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Mc Tool wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:19 am I guess that's the down side of internet buying , sometimes the human touch ( not rolf harris or Jimmy saville type) makes the sale more informative and you get a better idea who your dealing with.
:agree:
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Mc Tool wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:03 am I made this press out of a 20 ton bottle jack , 2 tractor 3 point linkage pins and the steel channel . Bottle jack

Jesus Hamish.!!! Dont think I'd want to break down in my motor in the middle of the night in the NZ outback and have you roll up and bring me back to yours to fix it :shock:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

DSC02724.JPG
DSC02726.JPG
DSC02731.JPG
yep, we don't fuck around here in the outback . This is my firewood being delivered :D
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Nice, thats the way to do it.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Bug

Post by Bug »

Mc Tool wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:21 am DSC02724.JPGDSC02726.JPGDSC02731.JPG
yep, we don't fuck around here in the outback . This is my firewood being delivered :D
Seems a little ironic, given your place seems to be surrounded by trees. :xd:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

The trees in the background behind the truck in the top pic is where the river is ....I can just about guarantee a trout dinner every time I want one . :)