Grrr - still cuts out ....any ideas?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
westcountryboy
Car(s): Skoda Kodiaq, VX Zafira and the 1600 laser

Grrr - still cuts out ....any ideas?

Post by westcountryboy »

Anyone have any ideas here:

Have got 1.6 laser with 34ICH fitted - brand new carb bought last year.
Accuspark £30 fitted in the dizzy.
Standard airbox and filter
All the spaghetti pipes present

Car starts from cold with a bit of choke and in no time I can push choke in and on I go. This time of year it doesn't need any choke. Mixture screw is 1.5 turns out from fully in.

Drove just over an hour to Weston Super Mare Yesterday, M5 motorway all the way, drove perfectly. Temperature gauge in the middle, all good.

Get to WSM to meet the other capris, switch off, meet the others and after 20 minutes get back into the car to head to Cheddar in convoy.

Started the car, give it revs, foot off accelerator and it stops. Had to drive to Cheddar with the choke out.

Going home from Cheddar (having left the car alone for 1.5 hours) - it starts fine (no choke needed - warm day) and I drive home happily all the way - engine reading correct temp - no choke needed.

I've checked the pipes (thinking there might be a kink), tightened the carb onto the base plate and all that and played with the mixture screw. I've also replaced some of those valve things on the spaghetti pipes with new ones.

It's as if the heat under the bonnet is causing the petrol to evaporate before it reaches the carb (or something like that).

Does anyone have any ideas? Its baffling me.

Thanks all
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Re: Grrr - still cuts out ....any ideas?

Post by Caprigear »

You can lose all of the miles of crappy vacuum pipework that came with the VV carb now you have the Weber. Simply run a single vacuum hose from the distributer to the carb.
Also check the distributer cap and rotor arm, if in doubt replace them.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

My only experience of something similar was a failing fuel pump. Do you have a spare you can try?
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Caprigear wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:30 pm Also check the distributer cap and rotor arm, if in doubt replace them.
I'd second that, I had a cutting out when warmed up issue a little while ago, changing those two components sorted it.

Also if this behaviour began after a certain job was done, then definitely look to that as being a potential culprit.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I've read your post carefully and to recap it seems you drove your car from home down the M5 to Weston Ok then stopped it . Restarted it and it ran with the problem. Stopped it at Cheddar for 1.5 hours then it ran OK all the way home.

This makes me think that something in the carb blocked one of the jets after the first stop but when the car was stationary again what ever was blocking it dropped out of wherever it was blocking it to allow the car to run fine again on the way home. Have you got a fuel filter in the fuel line from the pump to the carb? If not it would be worth fitting one as Capris are 30+ years old and could have muck in the fuel system.

I agree with other people's comments about renewing the cap and rotor arm for what they cost and with getting rid of all that spaghetti that was only on it to get the original VV carb to run right, something it usually failed to do anyway.
westcountryboy
Car(s): Skoda Kodiaq, VX Zafira and the 1600 laser

Post by westcountryboy »

Thanks all.

The issue seems to regularly happen. Take it to the shops - return 20 minutes later, start it and it dies immediately unless I keep revving the balls off it.

I've ordered a new dizzy cap and rotor arm for now. Will report back.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Id be suspicious of the ignition system , sounds like its fine till it gets hot then plays up . The choke is a further clue as a rich mixture is easier to light which could indicate a weak spark. One of the issues with distributor mounted ignition modules (not just on capri's ) is that they dont get enough cooling and thusly fail when hot .....and then work again when cooled down.
I have an allison ignition unit ,had it for 30 odd years , on different cars, never missed a beat ......but there has always been a whole nother dizzy assembly in the boot ;)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh