My Cigarette lighter has never worked

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
jerome-v6
Car(s): ford capri 3.0s

My Cigarette lighter has never worked

Post by jerome-v6 »

Hey guys,

My cigarette lighter has never worked, I don't smoke but it bugs me, with the dash lights on the light comes on and it gets the green ring on the bezel. but it doesn't click in or anything or get hot, I bought a replacement years ago but the same thing.
is it just the unit that's faulty and a decent second hand one would do the trick?
Many thanks
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: My Cigarette lighter has never worked

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

In case you didn't know, the illumination ring is on a different circuit to the actual lighter part.
Have you checked whether you are getting a live to the lighter and is the earth good?
That would be where I'd start looking before buying replacement parts.

Andrew.
Chris82
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0S in white

Post by Chris82 »

If the light is working then the Earth is OK. The lighter itself is on a separate circuit. Have you tried plugging something else in to see it it works at all e.g. an inflator/ sat nav? If they are not working I would start with checking the fuse.
jerome-v6

Post by jerome-v6 »

Thanks for your responses,
I've tried plugging a satnav in, it doesn't draw power from it, i've replaced the fuse, nothing and the glovebox light has never ever worked either so I'm guessing there's some nasty electric gremlin living in the nearside of my capri!
Chris82

Post by Chris82 »

Looked in the Haynes manual and the clock and interior light are on the same circuit. Are these working?
jerome-v6

Post by jerome-v6 »

Thanks for looking, Yes the clock and light are fine.
Chris82

Post by Chris82 »

If that's the case I would pull the wire out of the back and back sure if it's getting voltage. It does sound like the cigarette lighter is at fault here if everything else on the circuit is working, but I would check this before investing. Funnily enough I have just bought a cigarette lighter as my car didn't have one one as it's handy for pumping the tyres and the sat nav when it decides it wants to work.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

I assume you've checked it is plugged in?
The light bulb is a push fit and earths through the body.
The big fat red(?) wire on a bullet connector is the feed for the lighter itself.
This very easily pulls off when the dash panel is lowered, so maybe it's been dislodged in the past?
jerome-v6

Post by jerome-v6 »

That works nicely as I need to have the dash out to replace 2 of the dash switches and the temperature gauge stopped working. I put in a new temp sender and the fuel gauge is fine so I know the voltage regulator is fine so I need to replace the actual gauge.
NOBODY (or maybe I wasn't listening) told me 17 years later I would still be constantly replacing bits on my Capri and there would always be something up with it!!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

jerome-v6 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:56 am
NOBODY (or maybe I wasn't listening) told me 17 years later I would still be constantly replacing bits on my Capri and there would always be something up with it!!
Youd think it was common knowledge the way ignorant peeps take the piss everytime an old ford gets wheeled out of the shed. Truth is any 40 year old car is going to need some maintenance to keep it going......but its worth it just for the interest it creates whenever you park it :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Surely you must have heard:

Fix Or Repair Daily ?
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Yeah , found on rubbish dump , first on race day :D
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh